UNC vs Vanderbilt (vs. UPitt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSus

Dr. Sus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I desperately need your help! I'm choosing among Vandy, UNC and UPitt....Vandy and Pitt offered around the same amt of money which is a lot more expensive than UNC (I am a NC resident)....I'm currently thinking about doing a competitive specialty in Derm or Anes or Radiology. From last year's matchlists, it seemed that Vandy had the most impressive one in terms of those 3 specialties I named. Which one would you pick if you were me? HELP?!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Well considering all of them are top 25 schools..I would pick UNC, but the other two would not be bad decisions either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vandy. You'll get the res. you desire and its an amazing place.

I desperately need your help! I'm choosing among Vandy, UNC and UPitt....Vandy and Pitt offered around the same amt of money which is a lot more expensive than UNC (I am a NC resident)....I'm currently thinking about doing a competitive specialty in Derm or Anes or Radiology. From last year's matchlists, it seemed that Vandy had the most impressive one in terms of those 3 specialties I named. Which one would you pick if you were me? HELP?!:confused:

I'm biased since I go to Vandy but you are right about the match list here, and its a very important thing to look at. If you come here and work hard you are going to have good results (the match list here isn't just amazing because of the top 10% of the class, its pretty solid top to bottom). This speaks volumes of Vandy's reputation and the ability of the faculty to speak up for you to the people that matter.

Its a tough decision but you need to figure out what you value most in your education (quality of education, money, location, quality of life, etc) and goto the school that fits those values the best.

I'm biased since I go to Vandy but you are right about the match list here, and its a very important thing to look at. If you come here and work hard you are going to have good results (the match list here isn't just amazing because of the top 10% of the class, its pretty solid top to bottom). This speaks volumes of Vandy's reputation and the ability of the faculty to speak up for you to the people that matter.

Its a tough decision but you need to figure out what you value most in your education (quality of education, money, location, quality of life, etc) and goto the school that fits those values the best.

Thanks Quantum!! I'm leaning more to towards Vandy as of now...as if the matchlist isn't enough 2nd look was simply amazing! :)

I agree, if you are already knowing that Vandy is where you want to do your Derm residency then it wouldn't help to be really familiar with the people who make those decisions to get your foot in the door and make your name role off their tongue even easier because they have seen and talked to you before.

It really depends upon the type of person you are. I chose a more expensive school where I knew I would be happy b/c I knew that if I went to the less expensive school and didn't get the residency I wanted, I would always regret it. At least now if I don't get the residency I want, I can blame it on myself and not my choice of school. If that sounds like you, then go to Vandy. However, if you're the type of person that hates being in debt or is not good at managing money (which you will need to be when it comes time to pay the loans back) then you should probably choose the less expensive school.

It really depends upon the type of person you are. I chose a more expensive school where I knew I would be happy b/c I knew that if I went to the less expensive school and didn't get the residency I wanted, I would always regret it. At least now if I don't get the residency I want, I can blame it on myself and not my choice of school. If that sounds like you, then go to Vandy. However, if you're the type of person that hates being in debt or is not good at managing money (which you will need to be when it comes time to pay the loans back) then you should probably choose the less expensive school.

I'll jump to the other side just for the fun of it. I'd go to UNC in a heartbeat over Vandy. Vandy is an awesome place, and I'm definitely going to apply there for residency. However, UNC is in Chapel Hill, which is nice, and it's cheap. Why is everyone wanting to pass up one great school and spend tons of money to go to Vandy? We're not comparing the lowest ranked school out there to Harvard. We're comparing what I see as pretty similar schools [both of them being really good]. Who knows, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I bailed on my state schools to head to Duke...but at least it's not costing me a ton more $$$.

Who knows, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I bailed on my state schools to head to Duke...but at least it's not costing me a ton more $$$.

Haha yeah me too... the difference for me was like $40k over 4 years, almost completely made up for by the scholarship I'm getting for research next year... so I prob can't really say much either.

I'll jump to the other side just for the fun of it. I'd go to UNC in a heartbeat over Vandy. Vandy is an awesome place, and I'm definitely going to apply there for residency. However, UNC is in Chapel Hill, which is nice, and it's cheap. Why is everyone wanting to pass up one great school and spend tons of money to go to Vandy? We're not comparing the lowest ranked school out there to Harvard. We're comparing what I see as pretty similar schools [both of them being really good]. Who knows, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I bailed on my state schools to head to Duke...but at least it's not costing me a ton more $$$.

Chapel Hill is not cheap. Durham is cheap. Nashville is quite a bit more affordable and Vandy is a great place. You are absolutely right about the awesome radiology match list (derm and anesthesia weren't so bad, either - you may sense my super-bias on the issue)!

Chapel Hill is not cheap. Durham is cheap. Nashville is quite a bit more affordable and Vandy is a great place. You are absolutely right about the awesome radiology match list (derm and anesthesia weren't so bad, either - you may sense my super-bias on the issue)!

I meant that UNC is in Chapel Hill, which is nice. And UNC is cheap. Not necessarily that Chapel Hill is cheap. Chapel Hill may be more expensive, but the tuition is a lot less expensive. If money is a factor, choose UNC.