Uncertified Pharmacy Tech Question! please advise!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by ttlu, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ttlu

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,

I have a question about Pharm Techs.
    Am I able to work at pharmacies such as cvs or walgreens as a pharm tech if i am not certified by the PTCE and not state-licensed? Can i still get hired and work as a uncertified pharm tech? Or is certification + state license 100% required in order to be hired? I'm just a little bit confused after reading through the forum, because it seems some members are working as uncertified techs, but some say that the certification is required by the PTCE. which is it? :confused:

thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OrllY

OrllY Awesome

Pharmacy Student
    you can be the cashier...

4. NIV

NIV Maryland 2012!

Pharmacy Student
    It depends on the state. I think the techs you are referring to as uncertified are the ones that are grandfathered. I live in MD and they're changing all the rules for techs saying that they must be nationally certified (PTCB) and register with the state after a background check. Check with your state laws and see what they require.

Most of the time however to work in a pharmacy you have to start small. I worked as a cashier until I got certified because that was the only position open at the time.

5. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    If you google your state pharmacy board that info should be on the site. Or at least their contact info to find out.

6. monsterbrain

monsterbrain Drinking for sanity.

Pharmacy Student
    Apparently in Missouri you don't have to be certified b/c none of our new hires are certified. Licensed - yes; certified - no.

7. TTUMike

TTUMike Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
    Most states allow you to work in the pharmacy if you are not ptcb certified so long as you are considered a pharmacy techician in training (working towards certification). Also, some states don't allow you to pass certain areas of the pharmacy if you are not certified leaving your job responsibilities limited to cashiering. Look into large pharmacy chains such as Walgreens who will pay for your ptcb test and put you into classes.