Undecided College Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMrSrMrsMs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Khodi and I'm a future med school applicant.

I believe my EC's, test scores, rank, and GPA are strong. I aspire to attend a accredited University such as Mount Sinai, Harvard, JHU, Washington, Duke, or a host of other schools. (Please don't view me as stuck up, I've just worked really hard and feel that I am a prime candidate, as I have modeled all my actions for the last three years for these schools)

That's beside the point!

Cardiology has always been a favorite of mine. I don't know what I want to be yet but I was hoping that some of you might be able to give me some insight into the field.

Pediatric Cardiology looks looks promising.

I don't want to become a surgeon, but cathograms don't look that invasive.

What's you opinion on the field that would best suit my interests?

All advice is greatly appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry quite yet about deciding what kind of doctor you want to be

You are 8+ years from just starting a cardiology fellowship, let alone being a cardiologist (11+ years). Also, 10+ years from being a cardiac surgeon if desired.

Concentrate on getting into med school first. You'll learn that training to be a cardiac surgeon vs an adult cardiologist vs a pediatric cardiologist are very, very different routes in training.

Adult cardiology and pediatric cardiology do cardiac catheterizations and many other non-surgical (but indeed, invasive) procedures as well.

once in medical school, if you're still strongly interested in cardiology, find a cardiologist to shadow for a day or two. Later on, if you're interested in research, get involved in a simple project with the residents in your medical school's hospital.

Have fun with applications!

Agree with above. You're putting the cart before the horse. Worry about getting into med school first, and then worry more about picking a specialty once you are in. However, if you want to find out more about these fields now, try to find a cardiothoracic surgeon, an adult cardiologist and a pediatric cardiologist and see if you can "shadow" each one for part of a day, just to see what they do.