Undecided vs. Specialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Human_Genome

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

is it better to mention that you have a specific medical field you are interested in? I have some interest in a specific specialty, but also want to explore everything else before making a decision. what do u guys think?

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you do have a significant experience that has led you to want to pursue a specific field of medicine, don't be afraid to let schools know. They might appreciate the dedication. Of course, it's not like the decision is binding and adcoms know that your interests might change once you complete medical school.

i agree with dodger dog - i think that if you make a statement about what you would like to do - be able to back it up with some exposure to the field - otherwise you risk looking naive. also, i would also make it known that you have an open mind about it(unless you don't ... ). it also seems ok to say you don't know - this is much more specific than picking a college major, and we haven't yet experienced the full breadth of what med has to offer. ... or you can say pediatric trauma surgery or bust!;)

-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
I think lots of people have some specific field in mind, but do you really think it would be bad to say, "I'm going to be a cardiologist" without having much (if any) exposure to it? Wouldn't it be better to say it just to show you have thought about what you might be interested in? :confused: :idea:

Yeah u can definitely say you have an interest in cardiology... but don't be really adamant about it on your response. You can even say, "Well, I'm not really sure and I want to keep my options open, BUT cardiology has really intrigued me." and then give some kind of reason why you've been interested in it.