Undergrad choice: UT Austin or UTSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aim4dabushes

Reaction score
I am beginning the premed journey (DIY postbacc) this fall after 10 years in the military. I was admitted to UT Austin and UT San Antonio as a transfer student, and would like the community’s input on which undergrad school to choose.

Some of my considerations:

—I am from San Antonio and have an extensive family/friend support network

—I own a house in San Antonio

—UT Austin has a strong academic reputation and I believe would offer more research opportunities than UTSA

—a LOR from a more well known researcher/faculty from UT Austin could carry more weight (this is variable obviously)

—I was a sof medic and networked quite a bit during my time in; I could probably leverage this to work/shadow/research at some of the premiere military hospitals in San Antonio

Overall, I think my question is: would the greater prestige of UT Austin significantly help in applying to med schools? I plan on applying primarily in Texas, however I do want to have the ability to apply to some prestigious schools out of state (assuming I do well in my premed courses/MCAT). My undergrad was at UTSA, I am familiar with the school and love the community; am I crazy to turn down UT Austin?

Members don't see this ad.

The undergrad university you attend doesn't have much weight on your med school applications, especially if you are going to apply to mainly TMDSAS schools as a Texas resident.
I think you should stay in San Antonio for ease of attendance, and you might be surprised about availability of research there.
The most important thing is the GPA you attain, wherever you choose.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UTSA has amazing research opportunities. I’ve heard of some undergrads popping over to the HSC and doing research with faculty there. Don’t discount it just based on “prestige”, I think you’ll find it is a very capable school for med school prep. Also cheaper and would be an easier transition for you and your family.

Reactions: 1 users
A little late, but my sister in law went to school at UTSA and she thinks my husband and I were "better" educated. BUT her husband graduated from UTSA, did a spectacular job in his classes, and end up in med school first attempt! San Antonio seems to have the best perks for you! I think her husband was prepared excellently by UTSA.