Undergrad choice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shades McCool

Kal-el
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why did everyone choose the undergrad school they did?

I have to admit if you click below, you will find out why I picked the school I did....

Why I picked my undergraduate school!!!

Members don't see this ad.

No one knows why they went to their undergrad?

Where are the clips of the pigs, cows, and mules that make AuBarn smell so lovely? :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
b/c i didn't get into my top choice...although i believe this worked out better for me! :)

Yeah who is waiting to hear and who isnt? Thanks Auburn!

Easy shades, seem a little touchy there bud. Just messin with you, I got plenty of friends at Aubie but I got a lot more at Bama.

Yeah well the Cow College thing is pretty old. I went to Auburn for Auburn football. It also worked out nicely since they place more people into professional school than any other school in the state. I hope you all keep Shula forever. It is about to be 4 in a row.

Shades McCool said:
Why did everyone choose the undergrad school they did?[/URL]
because it was the cheapest possible 4-year college that i could go to. the fact that it actually had a med school for me to do research at was just a bonus.

Shades McCool said:
I went to Auburn for Auburn football.

What an excellent reason for choosing your undergrad school. :rolleyes:

I went to UH cuz they gave me the most money. I actually got paid to go here. Too bad the place is a $hithole. Oh well, money's all that matters to me in the end I guess.

getunconcsious said:
Oh well, money's all that matters to me in the end I guess.

OMG OMG you're going to be a bad doctor OMG. [kidding, i kid]

But seriously, this will turn into a flame pit very quickly, sensing the attitude of the OP and knowing the forces that lurk on this board.

I also came in on 6 scholly's. They cut me a check every semester for the "left overs", but deep down it was all about the Auburn Tigers that I grew up coming to EVERY home game. It worked out well for me.

SitraAchra said:
:laugh: yeah, i think admitting that you actually like money is a violation of TOS on SDN. don't you know you're supposed to work for free in the sudan?

Money, or lack thereof of money ultimately guided my undergrad decision. My school pays for me to attend. So yay for my bank account. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
getunconcsious said:
What an excellent reason for choosing your undergrad school. :rolleyes:

I went to UH cuz they gave me the most money. I actually got paid to go here. Too bad the place is a $hithole. Oh well, money's all that matters to me in the end I guess.

ummm, whats wrong with choosing a school because of their team? Am I missing something here?

derf said:
ummm, whats wrong with choosing a school because of their team? Am I missing something here?
Yeah I don't see either.

easy, i'm gettin a full scholarship.

SitraAchra said:

Actually, I may very well be a bad doctor. But I'm already in, so I don't care. :D

Well some of these answers are interesting. Let's get some more.

Shades, do you think Ears can make a winner out of Cox and a whole new backfield? I think the WR's will be very solid but Aubie will start with fresh faces up the middle. This usually doesnt translate into a good season. The good news for aub is the meat of the schedule (LSU,UGA, and UA) comes later in the season. If Aubie can get past GT, which they should but may not, they will roll into Baton Rouge with experience and confidence for the new guys. The way I look at it, those are the only four games Auburn should worry about. Specifically GT and LSU which are both very big games momentum wise. Your thoughts?

I chose UCSD for the same reason that every UCSD undergrad does. Ready to hear it? Drumroll please....

Because I didn't get in to UCLA. :(

I chose Montana State because I got a great scholarship, in the WUE program, was offered a spot in the Honors Program, my Dad was an alumni, and it was in a beautiful area that reminded me of Alaska. Plus, it was a smaller state school, unlike the U of Washington where I also applied, and I thought I would transition better having come from a smaller town.

Through a series of disappointments, I ended up at U of H! U of H gave me the most money, so I ended up here despite the fact that I was looking forward to leaving Texas. It kind worked out for me I guess. I’ve made good friends and it turned out to be better than I thought it would be. Though I could have made Cs through high school and ended up in the same place….oh well.

Shades McCool said:

I have to admit if you click below, you will find out why I picked the school I did....

Wow- the Auburn Tigers - undefeated. Too bad they p*ssied out of scheduling a game against USC.

LSU > Auburn

Yeah the first couple of games will tell the story next season. Cox is a good quarterback who actually fits Borge's system better than Campbell does. He just doest not have the physical skills that Campbell has. He is a very accurate passer and is very smart. He also has, what one could argue, the best group of receivers in the SEC. That will help a young QB grow up fast.

Our running back situation shouldn't be a problem next season. We might not have two studs like Carnell and Ronnie coming back, but we have some great guys who will be just as productive as a group.

Its nice that we don't run into a very good team until LSU and that is deep into the season. So if we can gel in the first 5 games(which are all at home), I predict 9-2 to 10-1.

Alabama has no depth and has serious issues on the OL, so it will be interesting to see what pans out for them.

Will Ferrell said:
Wow- the Auburn Tigers - undefeated. Too bad they p*ssied out of scheduling a game against USC.

LSU > Auburn
When did we puss out of playing USC?

Bama will have maybe the best D you have seen in a long time as almost every starter will be up for All SEC mention. Depth may be an issue along the DL but continues to improve. LBs and secondary will be scary good. The Offense will make or break Bama with the OL being the key. Depth is good at WR and Brodie is back.. for now. Darby is All SEC caliber back if he returns healthy, if not a true frosh will have to step up and it will be trial by fire. Castille and McClain are the two best power backs in the SEC easy. Potential to have a great year if OL comes around IMO.

tmarsh said:
Bama will have maybe the best D you have seen in a long time as almost every starter will be up for All SEC mention. Depth may be an issue along the DL but continues to improve. LBs and secondary will be scary good. The Offense will make or break Bama with the OL being the key. Depth is good at WR and Brodie is back.. for now. Darby is All SEC caliber back if he returns healthy, if not a true frosh will have to step up and it will be trial by fire. Castille and McClain are the two best power backs in the SEC easy. Potential to have a great year if OL comes around IMO.
Yeah you have the pieces on defense to have a successful year, but here is my take on the Alabama defense. I might be way off base but this is what I picked up from watching you all last year.

Your defense disrupted the opponent's offense by doing one thing...you played very agressively. You stunted and blitzed a lot more than Kines has in the past. This was because your defensive line was average and probably couldn't play the run straight up. So in order to stuff the opponent's ground attach you played risky defense and said "Beat me in the air".

This style worked well because you did not have too many good passing passing teams on the schedule. If you take our game, you completely shut down the running attack, but you also were torched when we adjusted to what you were doing. Campbell had a great second half when we decided to challange your DB's downfield.

Now if you have the personel to play a more balanced style of defense, you will be very tough this year. I just think your defense might be out on the field a lot...which delves into your depth issues.

Shades McCool said:

1.prestige
2.location
3.cost (compared to Ivy's, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, and other schools Rice is competitive with)
4. away from primary family
5.Proximity to Texas Medical Center

Shades McCool said:

Shades,
Why do I get the feeling that EVERYONE in the UAB SOM is going to know who you are within a week after orientation??? ;)

I picked mine (New College) because there were no grades and no competition, we could design our own majors, and all of the students were kind of, well, weird. But also really, really smart. Hippies, goths, punks, that kind of thing. The weirder you were, the more you fit in there. Practically no pre-meds; most of us went on to grad school....and oh, yes, the full scholarship did help me make up my mind. ;)

lalamoo said:
Shades,
Why do I get the feeling that EVERYONE in the UAB SOM is going to know who you are within a week after orientation??? ;)
Haha well I get what you're saying, but there are some other Auburn fanatics in the class. I know this because they are my buds!

I went to my local state school because it's big, cheap, and I can commute to it. I then stayed here because I like it.

I chose Cal Poly 'cuz:

1. 4K per year
2. Prestigious
3. On the Central Coast
4. Undergrad-oriented programs

BTW, I don't think Auburn ever pussed out of a game with USC either...

Since I knew I would be paying through the nose for college, I wanted to get my money's worth, and surround myself with people who can kick my academic butt. Ended up picking between Stanford, Harvard, and MIT.

I was born at Stanford's hospital, grew up there, and would be swarmed by my extended family for four years if I went to school there - so that was out. And I visited Harvard, and was horrified to find all my hardcore science friends turned into little ethnic studies-bots. (What do they put in the water there, anyway?)

Needless to say, I went to MIT. Which was the best choice anyway - #1 in my field, synthetic biology. And they're very nice about letting you weasel out of prereqs.