Undergrad Degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubs11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this has been posted before, but i'm new to this forum and haven't come across a thread like this before.

i have been referring to the vet schools i hope to apply to next year, with regards to their individual requirements for prereq courses. however, i was wondering for anyone (those preparing for vet school, those just starting vet school, those graduating from vet school, etc.)...is there a particular major you recommend as best prep?

i have already completed one bachelor's which fulfills all of my gen ed requirements for my pre-vet focused bachelor's i'm pursuing this fall. right now i am considering a chem degree because the particular curriculum includes the biology, math, physics, and chem requirements for the schools i'm looking into.

but i have seen a lot of people on this forum who are pursuing other degrees such as biology.

for those who have been accepted into vet school, do you believe there is a particular degree that is best for prep and applying to vet schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that vet schools like students to have a varied background. I am getting my degree in psychology. Haha!

As for as popular degrees people get are biology, chem, those sciences. They cover a lot of the prereqs vet schools require.

I think the idea is to pick a degree program that includes as many (or all) of the typical vet school pre-reqs, but also interests you so that you can do well. I think Animal Science & Biology majors tend to be the 2 most popular degree programs. Keep in mind, you really don't need another bacc degree - you can take the courses "post-bacc" style if you'd prefer... so that you only take the pre-req courses that you need for the schools you hope to apply to.

Personally, in your position, I wouldn't be a chem major unless I had a great interest in it. Chem/Chem-E tend to be quite difficult majors and at this point your goal should be to take just the pre-reqs and ace them. . . not struggling through p-chem confused as a jaybird.

G'luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've already completed one BA(or BS) program, there is not really a need to complete 'another' one. All you have to do is pick up the extra classes (assuming your school will let you). Heck, depending on the schools you are looking at you may not need any degree, only the pre-req classes.

Personally, in your position, I wouldn't be a chem major unless I had a great interest in it. Chem/Chem-E tend to be quite difficult majors and at this point your goal should be to take just the pre-reqs and ace them. . . not struggling through p-chem confused as a jaybird.

I'm Chem-E...don't do it to yourself!!! stay with your first degree and just get the pre-reqs.

i have decided just to do the prereqs lol. your suggestions have been so compelling, i decided not to put myself through the torture. it will only take me 3 semesters to complete them and then i'll be able to do additional courses that will benefit my preparation! thanks for the warning!!!