Undergrad Grades and doing Residency???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUSDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do residency programs look at your grades as an undergrad (specifically if you have a W)? I am looking towards going into pedo or becoming a gp. I ask because I am a non traditional student who have gotten into dental school. The school that I will be attending have informed me I could drop my spring semester courses because I have already recieved my degree and completed my pre-requisites.

I want to drop the courses (upper level science courses) but with that I will have "W"s on my transcript and I do not want it to affect my chances at doing a residency program especially pedo or a gpr. I do know some OMFS programs will ask for your undergrad grades because it combines with medical school acceptances but other then that?? Thanks for all the replys!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply! I assume for gpr's they also wont look at your undergrad grades? which programs actually look at them? thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mainly just the MD OMFS programs or at least the med school part would look at undergrad grades. If there are more feel free to correct me.

Thanks for the reply! I assume for gpr's they also wont look at your undergrad grades? which programs actually look at them? thanks in advance!

OMFS, most Ortho for shizzle.

Mainly just the MD OMFS programs or at least the med school part would look at undergrad grades. If there are more feel free to correct me.

Pretty much all OMFS programs, 4ry and 6yr MD required undergrad transcripts. The 6yr MD programs definitely consider your UG record, but many 4yr programs do too. After interviewing this year for OMFS, I think there were many more 4yr candidates and it was probably very competitive this year for a 4yr spot.

Pretty much all OMFS programs, 4ry and 6yr MD required undergrad transcripts. The 6yr MD programs definitely consider your UG record, but many 4yr programs do too. After interviewing this year for OMFS, I think there were many more 4yr candidates and it was probably very competitive this year for a 4yr spot.

Personally, I don't think it will affect your chances as long as you do very well in dental school.

In may case, I submitted college transcripts to all my programs. My first 2 years of college I averaged 2.95 GPA. Then I withdrew and had a strong column of 15 hrs of 'W's. I took 2 years off, then went back and finished with an overall 3.65 GPA.

I did really well in dental school. I don't think I got a single question at any of my interviews regarding my horrible first 2 years of college, or even about why I dropped out for 2 years. They only seemed to know that I had done well in dental school.

Don't sweat it.

Thanks for the replies guys. It has been really helpful in deciding if I can withdraw from my classes. So it is safe to assume that if I do a GPR or Pedo, they do not even ask if for your undergrad gpa ....or do they ask but not care?

Personally, I don't think it will affect your chances as long as you do very well in dental school.

In may case, I submitted college transcripts to all my programs. My first 2 years of college I averaged 2.95 GPA. Then I withdrew and had a strong column of 15 hrs of 'W's. I took 2 years off, then went back and finished with an overall 3.65 GPA.

I did really well in dental school. I don't think I got a single question at any of my interviews regarding my horrible first 2 years of college, or even about why I dropped out for 2 years. They only seemed to know that I had done well in dental school.

Don't sweat it.

During my medical school interviews they asked me about my grades. Med schools seem to care about the C's in UG philosophy more than my A's in D-School. :laugh:

hm... i did all of my pre-req's at a community college.
will that raise any eyebrows?

Thanks for the replies guys. It has been really helpful in deciding if I can withdraw from my classes. So it is safe to assume that if I do a GPR or Pedo, they do not even ask if for your undergrad gpa ....or do they ask but not care?

Quite a few pedo programs will request your undergrad transcript--but that doesn't mean they'll actually use it for anything. In my opinion they would be foolish to, but who knows.