1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Undergrad Grades and doing Residency???

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by BUSDDS, Mar 22, 2007.

1. BUSDDS

Pre-Dental
    Do residency programs look at your grades as an undergrad (specifically if you have a W)? I am looking towards going into pedo or becoming a gp. I ask because I am a non traditional student who have gotten into dental school. The school that I will be attending have informed me I could drop my spring semester courses because I have already recieved my degree and completed my pre-requisites.

I want to drop the courses (upper level science courses) but with that I will have "W"s on my transcript and I do not want it to affect my chances at doing a residency program especially pedo or a gpr. I do know some OMFS programs will ask for your undergrad grades because it combines with medical school acceptances but other then that?? Thanks for all the replys!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    They won't look at your undergraduate grades for pedo, don't worry about it.

4. BUSDDS

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the reply! I assume for gpr's they also wont look at your undergrad grades? which programs actually look at them? thanks in advance!

5. jmjfb23

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Mainly just the MD OMFS programs or at least the med school part would look at undergrad grades. If there are more feel free to correct me.

6. shabu2

10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    OMFS, most Ortho for shizzle.

7. shabu2

10+ Year Member

Pretty much all OMFS programs, 4ry and 6yr MD required undergrad transcripts. The 6yr MD programs definitely consider your UG record, but many 4yr programs do too. After interviewing this year for OMFS, I think there were many more 4yr candidates and it was probably very competitive this year for a 4yr spot.

8. Jaybe

Jaybe Lazy Tongs
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Personally, I don't think it will affect your chances as long as you do very well in dental school.

In may case, I submitted college transcripts to all my programs. My first 2 years of college I averaged 2.95 GPA. Then I withdrew and had a strong column of 15 hrs of 'W's. I took 2 years off, then went back and finished with an overall 3.65 GPA.

I did really well in dental school. I don't think I got a single question at any of my interviews regarding my horrible first 2 years of college, or even about why I dropped out for 2 years. They only seemed to know that I had done well in dental school.

Don't sweat it.

9. BUSDDS

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the replies guys. It has been really helpful in deciding if I can withdraw from my classes. So it is safe to assume that if I do a GPR or Pedo, they do not even ask if for your undergrad gpa ....or do they ask but not care?

10. shabu2

10+ Year Member

During my medical school interviews they asked me about my grades. Med schools seem to care about the C's in UG philosophy more than my A's in D-School. :laugh:

11. Jone

Jone Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hm... i did all of my pre-req's at a community college.
    will that raise any eyebrows?

12. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Quite a few pedo programs will request your undergrad transcript--but that doesn't mean they'll actually use it for anything. In my opinion they would be foolish to, but who knows.