undergrad major req vs pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lotus89

Member....you member?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HMMM.
Ok so I new [HI] and so I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but if it has then..sorry...but I have a question!
My undergrad is Microbio and I see that the pharmacy schools that I want to apply to have basically the same pre-req for each other, which is good for everyone.
Since my undergrad is a science, most of the pre-req for the pharmacy schools are in my major anyway, so i basically hit two birds with one stone. My question is that for calculus and a&p (its weird, its only these classes, none of the others), my major has a more...how do i put this.... intense class, that is a calculus and a&p class, not an intro like the pharmacy school requires. do you think pharmacy schools will accept the more intense non-intro class or do i have to take not only my major required calculus and a&p but also the intro calulus and intro a&p? Cause that would greatly suck....

Any advice or wisdom would be fully appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone have ideas?
thoughts?
advice?

You'd have to call the schools you are interested in to find out for sure, but I think that they would accept the courses. They are just upper level calculus and A & P, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd have to call the schools you are interested in to find out for sure, but I think that they would accept the courses. They are just upper level calculus and A & P, right?

they are upper division like 300 level classes, so i know that i have to call each school
but do you or anyone have problems with compatable pre-req?
obviously the science ones can't be intro

I don't think you will have a problem since most schools outline the pre-req as a certain amount of hours in <insert science course here> rather than a specific level. Beside, aiming higher really doesn't hurt unless you don't do well in those courses, but as they are part of your bachelor's degree, I see no reason why you'd need to take the easier equivalent for pharmacy.

If I get what you're saying correctly... your school offers different series of a "calculus" or "A&P"? Like my school offers different series of calculus - that are for engineers, life sciences and the basic calculus. Is that what you mean? Like someone mentioned, you should check with the school to see which one is acceptable ... but given the difficulty between two series, obviously you should take the "less intense" one...

Go ahead and call. They will probably advise you to take the "more intense" classes. I had the same question because my school had a 5 credit course designed for science majors (more harder) and a 3 credit course designed for humanities majors (easier). They specifically told me to take the 5 hour course.

Yes definitely call or email!

I wanted to take the upper division microbiology course offered by our biology department. I asked the pharmacy school about it and they said I must take the survey course that is offered through the medical school. I think this is because the survey course is designed specifically for the allied health sciences whereas the upper division course may leave out important things while focusing too much on certain topics. Or maybe they are just picky because they can be. Who knows?

Your case may be totally different and I'm sure it depends on which school you ask.

Yeah I definitely will call or email, prolly email
BUt yeah I was just asking just in case some other people had problems with it too.
The calculus for my major is calculus for sciences but the schools want a different calculus class....UGGGGGGGG
but the a&p, is a little trickier
well anatomy isnt in my major (so i will have to take that one anyway, but no big deal) but I have to have a certain amount of elective units in my undergrad and animal physio is one of them and the [pharm] schools want the basic intro physio which is a different one. I really really hope they take the advanced animal physio and not the intro one. It would be a waste to do an intro physio when the advanced with not only count as my undergrad major requirement but also my pre-req for pharmacy school

glad im not alone out there...
:rolleyes: