Undergrad Major

Ginger97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! High school senior here! While I understand it's early to be dead-set on a major, I'd like some input. My question is:

--What are the distinctions between biology and neuroscience and microbiology, immunology, & genetics?

From what I can gather, from major and course descriptions, it seems that neuroscience includes a more broad scope of topics, including bio, psych, etc. And microbiology & immunology focus more on the study of diseases and the immune system. I'm interested in all three, and I don't know how to choose.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! High school senior here! While I understand it's early to be dead-set on a major, I'd like some input. My question is:

--What are the distinctions between biology and neuroscience and microbiology, immunology, & genetics?

From what I can gather, from major and course descriptions, it seems that neuroscience includes a more broad scope of topics, including bio, psych, etc. And microbiology & immunology focus more on the study of diseases and the immune system. I'm interested in all three, and I don't know how to choose.

Pick whichever one interest you MORE.

The direction of the major really depends on the school, if it's a top research university then you will see a lot of primary articles since the professors who teach may well be investigators in their field. I'm sure the neurosciences will entail much of what you said while microbiology and immunology will be much more geared toward two separate foci (one being gaining a basic understand of microbiology and the other being a fundamental understanding of the immune system), hard to say that they will tie them together into a more "medically related" course since your goal in undergrad is to understand the science behind the medicine should you choose to stay the course of being a premed.

Either way, be ready to take the necessary courses for med school admissions and required courses to prep you for the new MCAT.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would start out as a general biology major and take a neuroscience class and see if it's for you. If you switch early enough it shouldn't have any negative effect on your four-year timeline. All of those topics are fascinating, but it might take some time to figure out exactly what area you're looking to major in. Approach everything with an open mind.

Nah, it's not too early to be sure of a major. A person I know (who is younger) has been sure of what she has wanted to major in for years basically. Major in what you want to major in. If you aren't sure of a major and you eventually come down to two majors, you can either double major or minor, but only be sure you want to double major. I personally am thinking about doubling majoring, but it wouldn't be in two sciences. It can be overwhelming and eventually make your work deteriorate because you can't keep up or it's just too much. Don't overthink it though. Personally I am majoring in Biology because that's what interests me.

I couldn't tell you the distinctions in depth because I know just about zilch about neuroscience.