Undergrad Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hautecouture

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there!

How are you all doing? I'm really interested in becoming an optometrist. I'm having a tough decision of what to major in my undergrad. I'm currently looking at Bioengineering and Pre-Med. I'm not sure which one of the two is better. I like bioengineering because it's a fairly new major with a lot of opportunities available. I'm really interested in medicine and technology, so I know this would be perfect for me.

Pre-Med is also something I'm looking into because I think it might help me a little more with my OAT tests and Optometry school. I just think it might be too general and over-done by students. By that I mean, the majority students applying to optometry school have a Pre-Med, Biology or Chemistry major.

Do you think I should major in Bioengineering, Pre-Med or some other field? I know I would definatly like to minor in Spanish. I would greatly appreciate your input! Thanks advance! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Since your undergraduate major is irrelevant when applying to most optometry schools, just determine a major that you are really fascinated about, and then pursue that major...you can always take the pre-requisites for optometry school while completing your major. Don't choose a major because it looks good for someone else...choose it for yourself...you'll be glad you did later. Good luck.
 
As an engineering major, I'm all about you going for engineering. HOWEVER, I do suggest you decide very carefully before you pick. Absolute vision is correct in saying that your major is irrelevant, but I personally believe some will prepare you better than others. If you want to do engineering, make sure you're strong in math and physics as a minimum. If you're not good at math, I strongly suggest you do a straight science such as biology, chem, etc. I have had plenty of pre-health friends go engineering and fall down hard, so now they're screwed with low grades...
 
Thank you very much! I don't know what I want to major in. I just want to have a back up plan if I don't do as well as I thought or if I don't get into any colleges.