Undergrad Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard different stories from a lot of people, but I was wondering can ur undergrad major help or hurt u when applying to schools. A lot of people have told me that adcomms look really favorably on non sci majors.

Also how does double majoring look? I am a bio major right now and I was thinking about maybe doubling majoring in public health. Also is PH considered a science or a humanities major?

Members don't see this ad.

Pick what interests you and do well. That is all that matters in the end. P.S. If you do a search you'll find about a dozen plus threads on this same topic.

ahh UC Berkeley... in that case you should definately be majoring in EECS. Adcoms pee in their pants when they see that. And if you want a shot at a top 20 school, be sure to pick up a double major in chemE also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an education major and a teacher for a few years, and that really helped me get accepted at my first and only interview school. Of course, I did have to do all of those science courses before I could actually apply to med school.

Originally posted by jeffsleepy
ahh UC Berkeley... in that case you should definately be majoring in EECS. Adcoms pee in their pants when they see that. And if you want a shot at a top 20 school, be sure to pick up a double major in chemE also.

Yeah. Extra points awarded for retention of sanity and humanity.

Dude, major in what interests you, not what will look good to ADCOMs. Public health is a great area, but throwing it on as a major just to impress ADCOMs shows how truly interested you are in this field (being sarcastic :p )

Just major in what interests you. For me, I knew it was the biological sciences. I just wasn't sure which part of the biological sciences I should pursue (Berkeley offers about 5 biology majors...Genetic/Plant Biology, Plant/Microbial Biology, Integrative Biology, Molecular&Cell Biology, and Microbiology). Don't worry about being seen as a "cookie-cutter" applicant because it should really depend on how well you did in your chosen major as opposed to which major you chose. It really wouldn't make sense if they preferred a sociology or ethnic studies major over a molecular&cell biology major given that one is significantly easier than the other (given the grade inflation in the humanities). Sorry to all the humanities majors out there reading this...;) . I think this is why a chemical engineering major with a 3.5 is more likely to be accepted than an Ethnic Studies major with a 4.0.