Undergrad record

Started by jooce
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jooce

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I'm applying for ENT this fall, and I noticed that SFmatch requires you to supply your undergrad transcripts. I was wondering if anybody knows how much residencies take into account your undergrad grades...how is this true for ENT or other specialties like gen surg? For instance let's say one has a relatively poor undergrad record while his med school grades and board scores are considered stellar...does this still raise any red flags in PDs' minds? Any insight would be appreciated...thanks.
 
Originally posted by jooce
...For instance let's say one has a relatively poor undergrad record while his med school grades and board scores are considered stellar...does this still raise any red flags in PDs' minds?

The way an app is viewed by a PD is far to complicated and dependent on the individual PD. Suffice it to say that ERAS does not provide a filter that I am aware of that allows filtering by undergrad transcript.

As per poor performance and stellar med-school performance and boards? Well, if it is an extremely "competitive program" maybe that undergrad stuff will make the difference between 2 like candidates. Maybe, it will show the candidate has matured? Maybe, the PD will like a US undergrad-grad more then a foreign undergrad-grad or the reverse? The questions abound and frankly you should relax....just a little.

I mean, really, why fret, you can't "fix it" now?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Skylizard,

I assure you that I am not "fretting"...just trying to get an idea if reviewing and taking into consideration an applicant's undergrad grades is a common practice. I would think someone under these circumstances would try to gather as much information in order to approach the match with a wise strategy (i.e. answering interview questions, personal statements, etc.).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by jooce
Hey guys,

I'm applying for ENT this fall, and I noticed that SFmatch requires you to supply your undergrad transcripts. I was wondering if anybody knows how much residencies take into account your undergrad grades...how is this true for ENT or other specialties like gen surg? For instance let's say one has a relatively poor undergrad record while his med school grades and board scores are considered stellar...does this still raise any red flags in PDs' minds? Any insight would be appreciated...thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much about your undergraduate record. I practically told program directors and interviewers that my college performance was subpar (IMHO).

I matched at one of my top choices...

To be honest, I think it will deserve only a fleeting glance in the whole process.
 
Originally posted by jooce
Skylizard,

I assure you that I am not "fretting"...just trying to get an idea if reviewing and taking into consideration an applicant's undergrad grades is a common practice. I would think someone under these circumstances would try to gather as much information in order to approach the match with a wise strategy (i.e. answering interview questions, personal statements, etc.).

Skylizard has a good point. While it's important to have a good application strategy, there is no sense in worrying about the effect of things you can't change...like your undergrad record. If your undergad record was good enough to get into medical school then it won't have much impact. I had some less than stellar grades as an undergrad and it never came up during my interviews. If you are asked about it then I would talk about how you overcame some difficulties as an undergrad and excelled as a med student. Everyone likes to see improvement.

Honestly though, I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it. It's easy to get hung up on the little nuances of our own applications, but unfortunately I think that there is a lot more randomness to it all than we would like to believe.
 
dunehog,

I sent you a pm as well...thanks for the reply

jooce