Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I was interested in doing research in a few areas of medicine, and one of them was Plastic Surgery, particularly cosmetic and aesthetic surgery. I've shadowed physicians involved in these fields, and was interested in getting to know these fields better, and perhaps getting my name out early by carrying out some research, and (hopefully) managing to publish something. I've done some serious publishing work before...just never quite on my own like I would do in this case.
I've shadowed a plastic surgeon; however he (admittedly) knows nothing about research, and could not help me much. What kind of research could I carry out in Plastic (preferably cosmetic) Surgery? I'm a genetics major, which means I've taken all of the pre-med reqs and gone deeper into the material (genetics, evol. biol, etc.) and I have done some (college minor) work in statistics and bioinformatics, most notably math stats and linear algebra applications (which are very useful in Genetics).
I've also checked around in a few journals, such as Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Annals of Plastic Surgery, andPlastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Those would be premium targets for publication, but I don't know if I am on par with them...I'm just an ambitious undergrad.
Any ideas on what I could do?
All input is appreciated...
I was interested in doing research in a few areas of medicine, and one of them was Plastic Surgery, particularly cosmetic and aesthetic surgery. I've shadowed physicians involved in these fields, and was interested in getting to know these fields better, and perhaps getting my name out early by carrying out some research, and (hopefully) managing to publish something. I've done some serious publishing work before...just never quite on my own like I would do in this case.
I've shadowed a plastic surgeon; however he (admittedly) knows nothing about research, and could not help me much. What kind of research could I carry out in Plastic (preferably cosmetic) Surgery? I'm a genetics major, which means I've taken all of the pre-med reqs and gone deeper into the material (genetics, evol. biol, etc.) and I have done some (college minor) work in statistics and bioinformatics, most notably math stats and linear algebra applications (which are very useful in Genetics).
I've also checked around in a few journals, such as Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Annals of Plastic Surgery, andPlastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Those would be premium targets for publication, but I don't know if I am on par with them...I'm just an ambitious undergrad.
Any ideas on what I could do?
All input is appreciated...
... And there is a school of thought that says if you do research in a specialty as an undergrad med schools frown upon it. Since at this stage of the game you should want to focus on being a doctor and not on glamorous specialtes...But thats up to debate. The other bad thing about it is what if you change your mind during med school as most med students do. Then you are stuck with alot of research that may or may not have anything to do with your intended field. And you should know that if you plan on jumping on a resident's research projects like i did...Say during his/her's dedicated research year you will be at the bottom of the totem pole since the med school gunner's have a higher priority to get research. So with all that said even though i did it. I would recommend that you do some research that peaks your interest with a PHD rather than MD at your institution as they are more equipped with working with undergrads and you can gain alot of valuable experience.