Undergrad. Research in Plastic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YeOldeMan

Squinting at You
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was interested in doing research in a few areas of medicine, and one of them was Plastic Surgery, particularly cosmetic and aesthetic surgery. I've shadowed physicians involved in these fields, and was interested in getting to know these fields better, and perhaps getting my name out early by carrying out some research, and (hopefully) managing to publish something. I've done some serious publishing work before...just never quite on my own like I would do in this case.

I've shadowed a plastic surgeon; however he (admittedly) knows nothing about research, and could not help me much. What kind of research could I carry out in Plastic (preferably cosmetic) Surgery? I'm a genetics major, which means I've taken all of the pre-med reqs and gone deeper into the material (genetics, evol. biol, etc.) and I have done some (college minor) work in statistics and bioinformatics, most notably math stats and linear algebra applications (which are very useful in Genetics).

I've also checked around in a few journals, such as Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Annals of Plastic Surgery, andPlastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Those would be premium targets for publication, but I don't know if I am on par with them...I'm just an ambitious undergrad.

Any ideas on what I could do?

All input is appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

It's not about padding my resume, it's about getting my name out, getting cred. etc. Also, I genuinely believe it will give me a better feel for the field.

Plus, I'll have to quote the economic principle of monotonic preferences, "more (publications) is better."

Cheers!
-YOM

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not about padding my resume, it's about getting my name out, getting cred. etc. Also, I genuinely believe it will give me a better feel for the field.

Plus, I'll have to quote the economic principle of monotonic preferences, "more (publications) is better."

Cheers!
-YOM

I think it's a good idea! :) I have been looking into doing this as well. It may prove to be beneficial from not only an educational and resume padding standpoint, but a networking standpoint as well :thumbup:

I think this is a little much. Doing research sheds some light on a field, but you won't know until you are able to go to the OR, and mostly do a rotation in med school. Also, it may be a little premature to be looking at residency networking at this point. The main goal would be to get into medical school first, then worry about residency.

Also, in my opinion, I do not believe most, if not all, medical schools would look favorably on cosmetic surgery as a career goal. They want a resume that reflects your "desire to help people." Also, many plastic surgery residencies (at least during the application/interview process) being in academic centers do not look extremely favorable on cosmetics being your main goal. It would be better to network through some Reconstructive research of some type. Some of the pediatric plastic surgery would tie into genetics.

I think its a good and a bad idea but for different reasons than the other posters. I personally like the idea especially since I did the exact same thing as an undergrad. It gives you the opportunity to see what plastics is really about and you get the opportunity to contribute on research projects. And im sure you are aware of the networking possibilities especially if you are trying to match at that institution. The bad part of it is that you are pretty much gonna be the definition of a gunner. And in my situation it has caused some resentment from the residents. But only to a small degree. But it may be due to the fact that i thought of the idea as a undergrad and they did'nt :laugh:... And there is a school of thought that says if you do research in a specialty as an undergrad med schools frown upon it. Since at this stage of the game you should want to focus on being a doctor and not on glamorous specialtes...But thats up to debate. The other bad thing about it is what if you change your mind during med school as most med students do. Then you are stuck with alot of research that may or may not have anything to do with your intended field. And you should know that if you plan on jumping on a resident's research projects like i did...Say during his/her's dedicated research year you will be at the bottom of the totem pole since the med school gunner's have a higher priority to get research. So with all that said even though i did it. I would recommend that you do some research that peaks your interest with a PHD rather than MD at your institution as they are more equipped with working with undergrads and you can gain alot of valuable experience.

One thing to consider is that most state medical schools want students who want to do primary care, not yet another who thinks they are going to be the next Dr. 90210. They may not look fondly at your aesthetics research and could hurt your changes at schools you like.

My advice to you would be to do some basic science research related to plastic surgery. You will have plenty of time to make connections in med school if you start early. Just make sure you go somewhere with a plastics department.

I don't really follow plastic surgery literature, so unfortunately I can't give you any advice on good basic science + plastics project ideas.

I can't imagine any idea worse than cosmetic plastics research as an undergrad. Your interviewers are going to see your research. Many of them will be internists (for example) with huge chips on their shoulders about private practice. When they see cosmetic surgery they're going to destroy you (there is a lot of resentment out there). I seriously think an application with aesthetic PRS publications might do worse than one with none at all.

I can't imagine any idea worse than cosmetic plastics research as an undergrad. Your interviewers are going to see your research. Many of them will be internists (for example) with huge chips on their shoulders about private practice. When they see cosmetic surgery they're going to destroy you (there is a lot of resentment out there). I seriously think an application with aesthetic PRS publications might do worse than one with none at all.

Even coming to the table with reconstructive plastics research projects isn't a great idea.

Start generic. Build up some fundamental research skills (especially if you intend to head towards the basic science research arena)

Then once you get into medical school, you can seek out a plastics mentor and start with research (even then, it would NOT be a good idea to participate in a cosmetics project) I don't see too many residency programs eager to churn out the next Dr. 90210

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. It's never too early to engage in high-quality research. This requires several things: a) a mentor with easily defined projects that you can be involved in, b) probably an academic department or division, the larger and more established the better, and c) a whole lot of hard work on your part. The sooner that you can learn research fundamentals, the better. Lest you think I'm crazy, the PSRC (Plastic Surgery Research Council) has a yearly award, the Crikelair Award, for the best paper presented by a high school or college student at their national meeting. Presenting and publishing as an undergrad can be done, and it's done by ambitious, hardworking people who may or may not end up in medical school or plastics residencies at all. If you don't have the time to pursue basic science (this probably requires a whole summer or other extended time period), then case reports or smaller clinical studies are a good starting point. Lots of people need to have things written up, and it's a good chance to gain knowledge about a specific topic in plastic surgery. Case reports also take a lot less time.

2. One primary goal of research is showing that you can approach a problem, define an experiment to answer that question, carry out the experiment, and then write up and publish your results. In short: work, finish, publish. Demonstrating your ability to do this in plastics will be looked on positively as you apply to medical school, or frankly, any field. Working in plastic surgery will not necessarily hurt your application chances; it didn't hurt mine, and was a major talking point in both med school and residency interviews.

3. You don't have to be labeled a gunner. A positive attitude and strong work ethic go a long way. Presenting yourself as eager but not cutthroat, willing to learn and work hard, you'll be on the way to making strong connections and allies in the field.

4. Plastic surgery research topics. Looking at the last issue of PRS online, lo and behold it's the yearly PSRC review issue. Major topics in plastic surgery research include tissue engineering, wound healing, composite tissue allotransplantation, microsurgery, peripheral nerve biology, craniofacial surgery and bone biology. And, of course, cosmetic surgery. Find something interesting that someone near you is doing and dig in.

Just some thoughts. Hope it helps.

bb

Thanks for the replies everyone! Really, thank you very much.

Geez, I hope I didn't come across as one of those *****s dreaming of becoming the next Miami Slice (I don't actually watch any TV; none, nada - I heard that example on another forum, and thought it was a funny pun on Miami Vice). I have much deeper intentions than becoming a TV pimp.

Yeah, that idea is not looking too great now. I can see how psurg stuff could sink me faster than the Titanic. I've shadowed a plastics-cosmetics guy, and he's friends with my dad. In general, I like the what he does over the neuro guy I shadow (another family friend), as well as other ones I have briefly observed. But you really drove the point home dilated. I can't show any involvement or interest in that until waaaay late in the game. Perhaps I should not even shadow the cosmetics guy anymore?

Thank you bottombracket, that was a very helpful and thoughtful post, and I greatly appreciate it. :thumbup: And congratulations on your first post.

Yeah, that idea is not looking too great now. I can see how psurg stuff could sink me faster than the Titanic. I've shadowed a plastics-cosmetics guy, and he's friends with my dad. In general, I like the what he does over the neuro guy I shadow (another family friend), as well as other ones I have briefly observed. But you really drove the point home dilated. I can't show any involvement or interest in that until waaaay late in the game. Perhaps I should not even shadow the cosmetics guy anymore?

If you like it there's no reason to stop. Plastics cases are really cool and anyone who denies that is just hating. I certainly wouldn't put it on your application though. I'd also keep an open mind for the first 2 years of med school and do NOT be the guy constantly telling everyone "I'm gonna be a plastic surgeon!" before he's ever scrubbed on a case. That guy sucks. And he ends up going into general surgery when he gets a 215 on step 1, talking about how he felt "gs residency would really make him a more complete surgeon".

There's a lot of plastic surgery basic science that won't raise eyebrows. In particular, stem cells and composite tissue allotransplantation are both hot topics and very interesting. That's a much safer bet, at least until you're sure the only people you have to impress are plastics program directors.

As the research arm of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, PSEF's mission is to develop and support the domestic and international education, research and public service activities of plastic surgeons.

As a plastics resident, i echo the stuff said above.

You can probably shadow the guy all you want. Contrary to what many undergrad people think, going to an interview and saying "i shadowed so-and-so..blahblah it was amazing..blahblah" does nothing to enhance or hurt an interview. Shadowing is not a rotation ... there are no responsibilities and no evaluation process. You might as well throw in that you are a Presidential Fitness Award Winner from elementary school PE on your CV as well.

Cosmetic surgery is a no-no to advertise around during med school, during gen surg residency, and during plastics residency.

Even if you were dead set on doing cosmetic surgery research, you would be hard pressed to find any opportunities in it anyway. Most surgeons that do cosmetics are too busy and focused on working and getting paid to sacrifice the time to do a big research project. In private practice cosmetics, time is money.

sorry to hijack the thread but I kinda have a similiar question.

im writing articles with a plastic surgeon for journals like the journal of the american college of surgeons and archives of facial plastic surgery and i should get co-authored or even first-authored on 3-4 of them.

2 of them will be on facial paralysis and 1 of them will be on facelifts (short flap rhytidectomy). my question is will these help me in the future if i am interested in plastics? although there is no good way to say it, i am really into cosmetics and improving appearance, so dermatology and plastics are naturally what im drawn to.

also, how important is having connections to a plastic surgeon if you want to get that fellowship? i am really good friends with the surgeon working with and i hope that could help in the future.

LASTLY, will having a publication on facelifts mentioned above be a negative when im applying to med school and further? i mean, its a publication, so thats always a positive, but i feel like not many will take it seriously.

i know, im thinking way long term and i might not even end up going into plastic surgery, but hey im still curious.