undergrad research journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is publishing in an undergrad research journal considered "publishing". in other words, is this journal good enough for medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

"good enough"?
If you are asking whether or not it well be well looked upon by admissions committees, the answer is probably a yes (although highly variable depending on institution, individuals reviewing your file, the quality of your journal, etc.).

DrA said:
is publishing in an undergrad research journal considered "publishing". in other words, is this journal good enough for medical schools?

Certainly wouldn't hold the value of publishing in a peer reviewed journal with a decent impact factor. But still nice to get research published somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any publication is better than no publication, but if given a choice a peer-reviewed article is better than a school journal.

relentless11 said:
Any publication is better than no publication, but if given a choice a peer-reviewed article is better than a school journal.

A school publication is fun. But no one will read it for reference and it won't be cited (not even indexed in pubmed).

Better off to work for a real publication, or send something to your local OpEd tabloid.

BTW, not intending to discourage, but rather just reality from my experience.

Best of luck,
a

Surg Path said:
A school publication is fun. But no one will read it for reference and it won't be cited (not even indexed in pubmed).

Better off to work for a real publication, or send something to your local OpEd tabloid.

BTW, not intending to discourage, but rather just reality from my experience.

Best of luck,
a

I completely agree. However pulication opportunities varies between schools, departments and labs. So undergrads should get what they can get, but always strive for real pubs as you said.

Ultimately, I think the other big factor is knowing what you wrote, and knowing it well if ever asked during interview.

relentless11 said:
I completely agree. However pulication opportunities varies between schools, departments and labs. So undergrads should get what they can get, but always strive for real pubs as you said.

Ultimately, I think the other big factor is knowing what you wrote, and knowing it well if ever asked during interview.

I agree, know your data upside down and inside out.