Undergrad Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djfermion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm an undergrad right now majoring in physics and currently doing physics research. My major question was whether med schools care what kind of research you do. Would it be more beneficial finding a research position at a cancer research facility or with an immunologist or something or is physics research on equal footing with other fields.

Also, I have other unrelated questions if you guys wouldn't mind giving me some insight.

-I go to a heavily humanities focused university, but I am a very science oriented person so I do not do too well in some of the required classes. Which GPA is more important, overall or science?

-Also, do med schools consider A+'s as higher weight in the GPA because my university does, which obviously boosts my GPA, but will med schools only count an A+ as a 4 instead of a 4.33?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys I'm an undergrad right now majoring in physics and currently doing physics research. My major question was whether med schools care what kind of research you do. Would it be more beneficial finding a research position at a cancer research facility or with an immunologist or something or is physics research on equal footing with other fields.

its the same deal as picking a major. adcoms don't care what you choose, as long as you enjoy doing it and have a meaningful experience. you wont be looked down upon for doing physics research. if you've gotta good thing goin right now, stick with it and dont worry about doing anything else.

Also, I have other unrelated questions if you guys wouldn't mind giving me some insight.

-I go to a heavily humanities focused university, but I am a very science oriented person so I do not do too well in some of the required classes. Which GPA is more important, overall or science?

i think people tend to agree that your science gpa is most important, but if your overall is low b/c of poor grades in humanities courses, it won't look good either.

-Also, do med schools consider A+'s as higher weight in the GPA because my university does, which obviously boosts my GPA, but will med schools only count an A+ as a 4 instead of a 4.33?

ive never even heard of a college institution giving A+s let alone giving you extra GPA points for them. i don't even think there is an option for "A+" on AMCAS, the highest grade you can record is an A. so my guess is that your A+ will only count as a 4.0, which is how it should be, b/c many schools dont even offer A+s (i know mine doesnt).

A fair amount of colleges do indeed give out A+'s, and if you were applying to law schools they would actually count as a 4.33. AMCAS, however, does not care, and any A+ grades will only be weighted as a 4.00.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that was fast thanks a lot for the replies. Ok so an A+ doesn't mean anything, but A-'s and B+'s and stuff are weighted differently correct?

I had a similar question so I will just post here.

I a reserach lined up in Mathmetics for the acadmeic year. Reserach in math is obviously very different from phy/bio/ and chem. There is no laboratary or experiments. Its all brainy logical thinking. I plan to start this fall and continue it for the next 2 years (I will be a junior in fall). I am really doing this out of interest, but just wondering would my math research hold as much weight as some who did it in bio, or other science fields. The skills invovled in the two are very different.