Undergraduate courses while in a graduate program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anavistas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there is a similar thread in pre_allo forum, however I didn't get my answer there, that's why I'm starting this one in the non-trad forum. There are not many trads that go to grad school to be able to provide the answer.
I'm finishing my MS and starting a certificate program. I've taken several undergrad courses while in the MS program which are not a part of my degree and I have to take some more when I'm in the certificate program. I've heard some stories about those courses(that you take while in a grad program) being shown as grad courses. My question is can I simply list courses as post-bacc? I was told by an advisor I have to start a second BS. I wanted to apply for that. Do you think it's necessary? If yes do I have to finish it if I start or I can just transfer these courses and take as many as I need? There is no formal post-bacc program here.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can register for UG courses while a grad student, then just do that with your prereqs. If they have UG course numbers, you should be able to count them as UG courses when you apply for med school.

The problem is I'm afraid AMCAS doesn't recognise those as undergrad courses. I'm not sure as I've taken them during my MS would they list it as grad or undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is I'm afraid AMCAS doesn't recognise those as undergrad courses. I'm not sure as I've taken them during my MS would they list it as grad or undergrad.

I guess you'll need to contact AMCAS, but I wouldn't think that an UG like "BIO 201" transforms into a grad class if taken while pursuing a graduate degree...

undergrad pre-reqs at another uni. while I was in a graduate program at Duke. It depends on the type of credit you get for the class. AMCAS will only look at the type of credit you are awarded if it's ug or g, doesn't matter what type ofdegree program you are in.

Thanks mooshika and futureboy. I think it's very logical that they accept those as undergrad courses although I've given up on logic in this process long time ago. I read here on SDN (I don't remember where) that some ppl were in trouble because those courses were listed as grad courses.
When I checked with the registrar's office they told me those courses were not a part of my grad degree but then they said those are not going to be listed as undergrad course either as I was not enrolled in an undergrad program there. So my question is does AMCAS list the courses as I do it? Like for example if I list them as post-bacc are they going to accept it as that?
Oh and those courses were not pre_reqs for my graduate degree.

Thanks mooshika and futureboy. I think it's very logical that they accept those as undergrad courses although I've given up on logic in this process long time ago. I read here on SDN (I don't remember where) that some ppl were in trouble because those courses were listed as grad courses.
When I checked with the registrar's office they told me those courses were not a part of my grad degree but then they said those are not going to be listed as undergrad course either as I was not enrolled in an undergrad program there. So my question is does AMCAS list the courses as I do it? Like for example if I list them as post-bacc are they going to accept it as that?

I'm not in the application process yet, so I don't know. I think AMCAS lists UG courses, post-bac UG courses, and a GPA combining both. I believe they list grad courses/GPAs separately. Maybe the AMCAS website would have the info?

You don't get credit towards your grad program for those courses, I suppose?

For the most part...AMCAS list courses like YOU do:

The longest part of the AMCAS process is the grade verification. Essentially, you spend the time entering in your own transcripts and categorizing the information online. That is, YOU will enter this particular coursework as undergraduate along with the course number and the title, of the course. You will also have to assign the type of course it is (BCPM) - especially with less clear-cut named courses.

When submitted (and paid ;) ) a real live person on the other end reviews the physical official transcripts in front of her/him and compares it to what you 'suggested' online.

Logistically, since you do the vast majority of the data entry, it makes the process faster than it would otherwise be. If the reviewer disagrees, then it will be noted, and they will adjust the electronic version to what they feel it should be. After this "verification" process, you have the opportunity to dispute what the reviewer has said.

The good news is that you get to "frame the discussion" about your transcripts in this give-and-take interaction because YOU will get the first shot at categorizing your coursework.

I, for example, successfully argued that a technical writing course taken in the college of engineering with a cryptic abbreviated name was indeed an English course. I took the time to find my old book of course offerings for that semester and typed in the whole name on a bunch of crazy coursenames, including this one. I am certain that if I had categorized it instead as engineering no one would have complained and I would have had one less English course on my transcript!

In short, understand the AMCAS "rules", and be prepared to argue on your own behalf. Nothing is set in stone.

Best of luck.

Just checking. That is the best answer. As I understand, if it isn't credited towards a graduate degree, then it is considered post-bacc. Therefore, I believe you are correct.

You post-bacc work will be presented in your final AMCAS application as a separate line item within your undergrad work in the grade summary section of the application. That is, it will be added to your uG cumulative science and non-science GPAs. Your graduate work will be reported separate.

Thanks, just a quick question, now if I take some courses which are "counted" towards my certificate program (non-degree) which I'm gonna start), what happens to those? Can I still list them as poct-bacc?

That's where my personal experience/understanding fails you! :( My guess is it is still post-bacc work. But that's just a guess. I recall the use of the term "degree-seeking" a bunch somewhere on the AMCAS website.

Is the certificate program technically part of a graduate program at your university? Did you take the GRE or other entrance exam to gain acceptance to that program? If a search of AMCAS doesn't turn up the answer, I see a phone call in your future.

Interesting point.

In 2005, I took Secondary School Curriculum (grad course) in the spring, Arkansas history and Theory and Fundamentals of Football (both undergrad courses) in the summer, and Education Research (grad course in the fall which I later dropped. I was teaching at the time, and when I quit my job just before Thanksgiving that year I dropped out of the Ed. Research class knowing I wasn't going to pursue any other jobs in education.

My chosen degree was an M.Ed. in school admin thinking I'd teach for another couple of years and apply for an administrator's license. The grad courses were funded through a program I was in, and I took the two undergrads to add endorsements to my teaching license; AR Hist was required to get the middle school generalist license and I needed the football class to coach.

The point is I have no idea how any of this fits into AMCAS.

AMCAS will list any courses that were required for your Masters degree as part of your graduate GPA, especially if they have upper level course numbers. However, if you took additional postbacc classes that weren't actually required for your degree (such as med school pre-reqs), those will be listed in a separate postbacc section and counted towards your undergraduate GPA.

I contacted aamc and this is their answer:

"You will have to list this school twice. Once for the Master's coursework and once for the post baccalaureate undergraduate coursework. Even though the undergraduate courses were not officially part of a post baccalaureate program they would still be listed as such. If they do not appear on your graduate transcript you will need to also send a separate undergraduate transcript.
Courses taken towards a certificate program should also be listed as post baccalaureate undergraduate if they were college level and college credit was awarded."

ehhhh, still I should find out are those courses going to be shown anywhere on my grad transcript!!!