Undergraduate Neuroscience Programs List?

vstexas09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know of the remaining schools (preferrably in Texas) where they offer an undergrad degree in neuroscience which I can still apply to?

And do you guys know how Baylor University is as a school??

Members don't see this ad.

by "which I can still apply to" do you mean schools that haven't reached their application deadlines yet? I assume you're a senior in HS.

yes that the deadline has not been reached...

it's just that UTexas doesn't offer neuroscience...and i have just begun to develop an interest in this field

talk about bad timing...

Members don't see this ad :)
not necessarily in my state...either...anywhere else would do...

http://bbs.utdallas.edu/

Neuroscience BS...and the deadline is July 1. :D

EDIT: Baylor University, from what I've heard, is great. It's a little(ish) school with really great students and nice faculty that's more laid back than most I've seen. The religious atmosphere is nice too, since the students are somewhat more well-behaved, but realize that you're better off elsewhere unless you're set on medicine or dentistry. You should give BU a visit if you're up for it.

Last edited:
anymore schools and i feel like im set on going into medicine

UG major in NS:

NYU
University of Cincinnati
Dartmouth
University of Minnesota
Rochester
Amherst
UVA
UCLA
Tulane
U of Miami
U Cal-Berkeley

There are less than 100 across the US that offer it. UofC is probably the easiest school out there that offers a NS Bachelors degree.

Last edited:
You know what would be reaaallly challenging? A double major in Nueroscience and astrophysics! I don't even think that a single school offers those two majors.

Anyone want to check that? ^

umm btw ut austin does have a neuroscience degree! :confused:

UT austin offers neurobiology...and neuroscience is a graduate degree...i looked...

UG major in NS:

NYU
University of Cincinnati
Dartmouth
University of Minnesota
Rochester
Amherst
UVA
UCLA
Tulane
U of Miami
U Cal-Berkeley

There are less than 100 across the US that offer it. UofC is probably the easiest school out there that offers a NS Bachelors degree.

has the deadline passed??

You also have to consider that "neuroscience" is not the only degree that teaches you, well, neuroscience. It can also be called "neurobiology", "biopsychology", "psychobiology", and various other things. In the end, it teaches you the EXACT same stuff. And you can always take classes outside your major if you feel the major you picked doesn't have enough bio or psych or phylosophy (those are usually the departments that teach neuroscience-type stuff). Seriously, don't get stuck on a name. I got a major in one of those (biopsychology) and it was exactly the same thing that a cousin did in neurobiology and a friend did in neuroscience. There's really only so much we know about the brain, and that's what you'll learn.

I know Ohio State has a Neuroscience minor. Not sure about major. Have you applied anywhere yet. Not to be rude, but it is pretty late to still be thinking about applying. Hopefully you have applied to some places and you can always change your major and you are just wondering if there is anywhere else that has a neuroscience degree. If you get in somewhere without one, you can probably look into their psychology program. I know here there are quite a few upper level neuropsychology courses which are pretty much neuroscience.

You also have to consider that "neuroscience" is not the only degree that teaches you, well, neuroscience. It can also be called "neurobiology", "biopsychology", "psychobiology", and various other things. In the end, it teaches you the EXACT same stuff. And you can always take classes outside your major if you feel the major you picked doesn't have enough bio or psych or phylosophy (those are usually the departments that teach neuroscience-type stuff). Seriously, don't get stuck on a name. I got a major in one of those (biopsychology) and it was exactly the same thing that a cousin did in neurobiology and a friend did in neuroscience. There's really only so much we know about the brain, and that's what you'll learn.

the thing is with ut austin...you have to take all of biology...and neurobiology is just a part of that...u have to do the other biology stuff too to actually work in...

You're going to have to do that everywhere no matter what you do. There aren't any majors in which you don't have to take broad, introductory courses. You've got to get the fundamentals down before moving to the complex stuff, you know.

the thing is with ut austin...you have to take all of biology...and neurobiology is just a part of that...u have to do the other biology stuff too to actually work in...

I promise you, you won't find a neuro major that doesn't include some basic bio. Why? Cause you can't learn about the brain if you don't know about molecular bio (what voltage-gated and ion-gated receptors are), cell bio (what a neuron looks like inside and out), physiology (how the brain works in conjunction with the whole body), etc, etc, etc. Also, if you're premed/predent/prevet/prewhatever you'll have to take basic bio classes, I guarantee you. So you can't skip them anyway. Sorry. If you've gotten a 5 on the AP and want to skip general bio, you probably shouldn't anyway cause college bio is so different from high school (this is coming from someone who also got a 5 on the AP, as well as an 800 on the SAT II).

So yeah, it's ultimately irrelevant where you do the neuro major. Every single one of them will expect you to take general bio (and those that don't will probably expect you to take it, or have it as a pre-requisite, or strongly recommend it- and I'd argue that those are bad programs anyway). The nervous system is arguably the most complex of all the systems in the body, and the hardest one to study cause our knowledge is still often based on hypotheses that we're testing as we speak. Studying neuro without studying bio would be like trying to learn how to make the perfect chocolate souffle when you don't even know how to make scrambled eggs, or learning calculus before learning algebra. You might be able to memorize a thing or two but your knowledge will always be extremely shallow. Start with the basics.