Undergraduate Publishing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spillsomepaint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are their any other publications besides GRADpsych, that generally publish research done by undergraduates and graduate students? The scale of my study was too small to be submitted to most major journals.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.psichi.org/pubs/journal/home.asp

Psi Chi journal of undergraduate research. There are several undergrad journals run out of universities as well, which you can find through google, but this is probably the most well-regarded out of them.

That being said, I would at submit to at *least* one or two other journals first. I'm not sure what you mean by small-scale, but a small n isn't intrinsically prohibitive to getting published. Undergrad journals aren't generally well-regarded from what I understand. I've heard that a significant number of faculty see it as sort of CV padding. Just a thought.

My understanding is that its generally not the best option unless you've already tried pretty much every other option and been flat out rejected.

I would DEFINITELY try and find a "specialty" journal that might be lower-tier and have a smaller audience before I would go to something that is considered an "undergrad" journal. If you have no other options, I'd say its better than nothing, but I think you're better off exhausting other options first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered submitting it to a conference? Those are often more appropriate for small-scale studies, and I would say they are far more respected than undergrad journals.

Have you considered submitting it to a conference? Those are often more appropriate for small-scale studies, and I would say they are far more respected than undergrad journals.

What does submitting to a conference mean/entail?

This has some good information:

http://www.apa.org/apags/convention/cfp05howtosubmit.html

You should talk to your research advisor about what conference would be appropriate - APA is pretty competitive, but might be a good option and would be a great experience for you. There are also smaller, less competitive, more specialized conferences that could be a better option.