Undergraduate research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vpatel91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there!!

I have about 1 semester left before I actually start submitting med school apps, and I've been wanting to get some sort of research experience. There are two fields Im interested in wokring with a professor on---either Neuroscience and Astronomy/Astrophysics. I myself am a neurobiology major. Do you think medical schools would "look down" upon doing 1 semester of research related to astronomy, which has no correlation at all to medicine? In other words, would they like to see an applicant come to them with research somewhat relating to the medical field.

I only ask because both astronomy and neuroscience are topics I've always been fascinated with. I just have to pick which one to go with. I know for a fact that I will never really get to work with astronomy/astrophysics after going into medicine, so I feel like I should look into that and not worry about doing actual medical related research until medical school itself. But then again, would it take away from my application if I choose to assist a professor researching in astronomy?

I think the consensus on these forums is that research is a great addition to a medical school application because it demonstrates your scientific curiosity. People have done research in a vast array of disciplines, ranging from music to psychology. As you said yourself, you probably won't have the opportunity to do astrophysics in med school so I would go with that one, as I'm sure you can find a neurosciency research project in med school. Good luck!

I doubt they would look down on it. In fact, I bet it will come up in all of your interviews because it is unique.

Research in ugrad is more about the process than the subject/results. Choose what interests you. Ugrad is a great place to take classes or do activities that you will never have another chance to do once med school starts so I say take the astronomy research and run with it.

I think the consensus on these forums is that research is a great addition to a medical school application because it demonstrates your scientific curiosity. People have done research in a vast array of disciplines, ranging from music to psychology. As you said yourself, you probably won't have the opportunity to do astrophysics in med school so I would go with that one, as I'm sure you can find a neurosciency research project in med school. Good luck!

I'm glad you brought up the different research areas since I was having a very hard time finding a biology professor to volunteer for, but I asked my Geography professor (I am doing a double major in Biology and Geography) if he was looking for volunteers and he was said he was since his lab was starting up and told me to contact him in January. I was hesitant at first since I thought you would need biology related research experience for your app, thanks!