Undergraduate Student Seeking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparagus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this whole deal, but I have been reading a bit of the advice to other people and I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice as well.

I am a student at UW-Madison and am doing undergraduate research. I worked with a psychologist in Milwaukee over the summer with her research and attending group sessions. I would like to take a year off before grad school and just work in research and have time to focus on applying to grad school. Is this a rediculous idea?? I've heard that most schools don't accept you the first time you apply. Is this true? I would like to go get my PsyD degree. Is the Chicago School of Professional Psychology a good option? How is it viewed in the professional world of psychology.

Thanks for all of the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Alot of people take a year off....many of the grad students that I work with did. As for not getting in your first try...well I guess it depends on your GPA, GREs, etc. But to say that no one gets in first try is kinda ridiculous...otherwise why would students bother wasting their money and effort applying.

I am new to this whole deal, but I have been reading a bit of the advice to other people and I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice as well.

Welcome :)

I would like to take a year off before grad school and just work in research and have time to focus on applying to grad school.

Excellent idea - I did it and so many others did too...

I've heard that most schools don't accept you the first time you apply.

Your acceptance is based on your credentials and your match with faculty.... what you heard is like saying you can't get pregnant the first time ;)

If you're interested in research and have decent marks/GRE scores, then I would strongly suggest you apply to PhD programs ... for pure financial reasons if nothing else

I would not take a year off if it is "research."

I would go direct when you are young and have the energy and I would do research in grad school.That's what I did.

Stick to an APA approved clinical program with a Ph.D. I am against these Free standing Psychology schools. Many reasons. We have several in Los Angeles, all questionable with low pass rates for state license.

Time becomes an important factor when you go through school.

Hammer Ph.D.