Undergraduate Studentships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOTP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really like to do a research project this year (in the UK or abroad) and was wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me and how to go about getting one.

Im a second year med student at UCL. I've been looking around for projects and programmes to join but they have all closed application or only available to national students.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the US and only have slight familiarity with your system, but FWIW here's what worked for me: I spent a couple of hours on the university web site and identified a faculty member doing research in an area that sounded interesting to me. I then requested a meeting with this professor and told him I was extremely interested in working in his lab and would be willing to do so without compensation. The offer of a free, enthusiastic undergrad proved impossible to resist and I secured a position in his lab. Over time I proved myself capable and hard working, and within a few months I was upgraded to paid status. Shortly thereafter I was assigned my own research project.

Despite going outside of the regular channels (we had all sorts of formal programs for matching undergrads into labs), this informal approach worked great for me.

Best of luck to you!