Undergraduate vs Graduate status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmboy28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When attending some schools students are classified as undergraduates, while other schools classify students as graduate students. How does this affect the loan process? Is the Pell grant available to a student that has undergraduate status assuming all other criteria are met? If anyone has any experience or knowledge regarding these situations, I would really appreciate your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll assume you are asking about specifically when attending pharmacy school.

At my school, students who come in without a Bachelor's degree are designated as undergraduate students for financial aid purposes only. They are designated under this status for three years after which they are granted the Bachelor's of Science in Pharmaceutical Science. During the final clerkship year, they are classified as graduate students before receiving the Pharm.D

Undergraduates receive a big pell grant and are eligible for other grants and scholarships. Graduate students receive more loans in their financial aid package than grants and the pell grant for them is really insubstantial.