Underground Clinical Vignettes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are these good books to use for the USMLE? If so, should I buy the newer edition or do you think the 3rd edition will be good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking that because the exam is clinical in nature, these would be helpful in conjunction with First Aid, and the usual crew: BRS Path/Phys, Micro RS, Lipponcott Pharm and QBank+IV QBank.

RB333 said:
Does anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking that because the exam is clinical in nature, these would be helpful in conjunction with First Aid, and the usual crew: BRS Path/Phys, Micro RS, Lipponcott Pharm and QBank+IV QBank.

I like them a lot and used them during my last system (Repro) and was able to really focus down on the clinically relevant stuff! :thumbup: which is what the boards test anyways

I guess I am skeptical simply because people here don't seem to be advocating this series.

This is in spite of the fact that most of the volumes in the series are highly recommended by FirstAid, albeit they are by the same author. Maybe this has something to do with it. Basically, I feel that testing vignettes, at least for me, would be a good way to recall the material but from a relevant clinical perspective.

For those of you who have written the exam and have used/are aware of the UCV series, are there similarities and was it helpful to put time into the UCV series vs. say, to repeat QBank, or FirstAid etc...

Any thoughts?

The reason why most people don't go through the UCV series is because it is very time consuming, unless you have been using it with coursework. That doesn't mean they are bad for usmle preparation. In my case, for example, I am going through all the kaplan books right now and trying to absorb as much info as I can and maybe doing some questions here and there since my exam is coming up soon.....but I realized I have no time to do the UCV series even though I bought it and it looks pretty good. It probably would have helped me if I went through them while taking classes........but whatever.