Underserved Focus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Sandman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any IM programs that are specifically geared to training in underserved populations? I'm looking at either IM or FM programs that are focused on this...

Members don't see this ad.

Find anywhere with a county hospital.

Agreed. Also, a strong state university hospital will provide excellent training in caring for underserved populations. UAB comes to mind. Also, UNC has a pretty diverse patient population plus an amazing school of public health associated with it that you can take advantage of in exploring how to address caring for the underserved from a public health/policy standpoint. Both schools are amazing in primary care training if you want to go that route. There are many others but just a few examples.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSD - you can choose it from the various clinics - look up their website
Baylor (Houston) - comes by default
Boston University
Temple Philadelphia
Yale-NHH - has its fair share, doesnt it? (someone can chip in about this, though)
UCSF - has SFGH attached
Emory - Grady Hospital (went to scramble!)
UTSW - Parkland

Now if you want to go down in the trenches and get your hands really dirty -

USC
Cook County, Chicago
ETSU

But you may not enjoy that work environment, from what I hear; and you may not necessarily land the best fellowships coming out of these programs.

I am sure there are more.

I think a very large percentage of programs take care of plenty of indigent/underserved communities. However, those that take pride in it and focus on it and have residents that share the same interest are probably considerably less. From medical school experience I can say UTMB in Galveston. However, a couple others come to mind:
Hopkins-Bayview and Einstein-Montefiore
This mighthelp: look for IM programs that have primary care tracks. The primary care track usually focuses on this topic and might indicate a philosophy of the program that is in line with yours.
I am sure there are plenty of others -> these are the ones I am somewhat familiar with.

However, those that take pride in it and focus on it and have residents that share the same interest are probably considerably less.

I completely agree. Most schools will at least have an isolated experience in an underserved setting but this is not the same as being immersed in it and having the people around you share the same sense of purpose.

Take a look at the UCSD Combined program (Fam Med & Psychiatry). This is a residency program with continuity in a clinic embedded in a homeless shelter but that is also connected to the university. 5 other residencies as well as the UCSD med students rotate through as well. This is a good example of the full court press in underserved training.

www.combinedresidency.org

I had no idea that you can combine Fam Med with Psych... The UCSD combined program looks amazing in terms of underserved focus and training.. Seriously. I took a look and saw there are a handful of other programs and a few IM/Psych.. I'm more IM focused at this point, but I really like the idea of underserved training and can't find anything comparable in training in IM/Psych. I think I'm realizing that boarding in psych would be very helpful in underserved medicine... but combined programs like this are all new to me.

I had no idea that you can combine Fam Med with Psych... The UCSD combined program looks amazing in terms of underserved focus and training.. Seriously. I took a look and saw there are a handful of other programs and a few IM/Psych.. I'm more IM focused at this point, but I really like the idea of underserved training and can't find anything comparable in training in IM/Psych. I think I'm realizing that boarding in psych would be very helpful in underserved medicine... but combined programs like this are all new to me.

I know for a fact that Emory also has an IM/Psych residency program which you might want to look into if FM isn't your cup of tea. And like the above posters mentioned, a significant portion of your training is done at Grady hospital, which is one of the largest county hospitals, and thus by nature serves a heavily underserved population. I interviewed there and really got the sense that those who chose to go there really chose it because of the training at Grady.

I would also check out Tulane - amazing focus on underserved and the clinic experience is all through community health centers. The PD is known throughout this country for his commitment to social justice.