Understanding NRMP (Match) Data

Started by SMDoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SMDoc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm considering going abroad for medical school and I recently stumbled upon NRMP Data. The numbers were quite frightening and I am confused about a few things.

1. There are a lot of IMGs 5095 applied compared to 17487 US Grads. 7568 FMGs (Page 1)
2. There are a lot of IMGs not matching (page 22). Even from the big 4 (page 22)
3. There are still some FMGs (non US Citizens) matching. (page 22)

How is it possible that there are US Citizen Big 4 grads not matching whereas FMGs (non US) matching. Wouldn't program directors want American students before taking foreign students?

I was considering going to Poland, as I want to avoid a for profit school. However, there were only 46 students across 5 English speaking programs in Poland that matched as opposed to the 79 that didn't match-really low match rates (37%). SGU seems to be doing really well (67% match).

What happens to these IMG students who don't successfully match? I have heard of the scramble-how many of them can find a spot. It would be horrific to graduate and pass the boards and not have a spot lined up.

Source: http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
 
Thank you for the link, I've been looking for it.

I imagine the reason some of the US-IMGs did not match, while some FMGs did, is because the FMGs were simply stronger candidates. Generally speaking, the US-IMGs are the ones who did not get accepted to med school in the US, while the FMGs who matched were probably the strongest students academically in their particular country.