understanding where programs stand

Started by monicak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

monicak

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey yall.
Im a MS-4 but taking some time to do research this year so matching in 06. I haven't a good sense of where the best programs in psych are in general. I know everyone says, "...it depends on what you are looking for...everyone finds a program that fits their needs..." but you know, I am interested in the general overall academic reputation of programs, so I can inquire about away rotations for next summer. It seems hard to ask current residents sometimes because obviously they all love their own programs! I know Johns Hopkins, UCLA, Harvard have great reputations. I also know it depends on whether you are interested in the biological versus traditional (psychotherapy?) approach. If someone could give me a rundown on the best 25 programs or so, and whether they focus on biology or tradition or both, that would be excellent. This information seems to be nowhere. I do have an advisor but he is too busy to advise me since I am not matching this year. He gave me a good idea of programs in the SouthEast where I am in school (UNC, MUSC, Emory) but that is all I know. Not that "reputation" is the only reason to choose a school...but it would be nice to know so I can read about schools and try to think about where my husband and I might be happy...I definitely want to do some away electives, even if it is not required, just to get a sense of things...
Thanks in advance!