1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Underwear

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by BadVB750, Mar 10, 2007.

1. BadVB750

BadVB750 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So, I was working with this female attending that was wearing scrubs today and everytime she bent down to see a patient well her thong poked out. Well, actually her entire ass and pink thong came into view. So, my question is what to do. Should I tell her or ignore it? Several of the patients saw and it seemed a little unprofessional.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The correct answer is to do nothing, and keep watching.

3. OP
    OP
    BadVB750

BadVB750 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What if you are scared of the nightmares? :laugh:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pinbor1

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I second that.

But on a more serious note, I would not say anything since you are a medical student and it is her superiors jobs to say otherwise. Not really your place to approach her regarding this.

As for keeping that pesky thong or man speedo from peaking out, I just go commando :laugh:

5. trkd

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As a woman, I can say that most such guest appearances of female undergarments are not unknown to the host. It is often on purpose. Not always but as professionals we should be aware of such things. Not knowing about a bit of spinach between your teeth is one thing. Pink bum floss is another issue. Don't say anything, it will likely backfire.

6. OP
    OP
    BadVB750

BadVB750 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am taking pics with my camera phone next time

7. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Def dont say anything but my oh my why would someone do this. We had a chick in my anatomy class who would show her midriff every day. It was real unprofessional and IMO gross to do that in an anatomy lab. She was hot BTW.

8. MushieCookie

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "pink bum floss"...love it!!!

9. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    And they had better wind up on SDN......

10. c.bear

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Maybe you could just make a comment about it on your course eval.....or maybe that is a bad idea. Any other circumstance and I would say something...but not to an attending as a med student.

11. Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You personally have nothing to gain from saying something, and much to lose.

12. Chronic Student

Chronic Student So Fresh, So Clean
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    This is an easy one...sheesh!

Next time the thong pops out, grab that sucker and brace your foot against her bum. Then pull until she squeals and has an iatrogenic anal fissure.

I guarantee you will never see that thong again.

-Mike

13. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would say nothing since she is an attending. It may hurt you. Just enjoy!!

I had a similar sitatuion happen while in class. A fellow, female student in class one day bent over and her purple thong and the top part of bum to the crack showed. It was nice so I enjoyed it with my other classmates for a minute or so. Then, it became apparent that she had no idea it was showing; therefore, I went up to her pulled her jeans up from the back and told her I enjoyed the view and she had a nice a$$ but I did not think she wanted everyone to see it. She was very embarrassed and ran out the room because she is very shy. Later on, she came back and thanked me for telling her and not just drooling over her bum. I got alot of points with the girls in the class because I told her. They think I am a gentleman now!!!

14. FISKUS

FISKUS Gimme a sammich
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    More importantly, what are the patients and their families thinking? Appearance has a powerful effect on patients perception of you. I will never forget the time I was about 13 years old and my grandmother died unexpectedly in the hospital. Some shaggy haired IM resident in a Hawaiian shirt came into the room to tell the news to the family. Im sure he was somewhat skilled but my blue collar, red necked, father went off. " Who is this *****&g clown and where is a real doctor?"

Not only what you wear but how you look - I know a 5 ft 8 400 lb ED attending. The man cant walk across the room without getting winded

And how you smell - I also know an attending from a middle east country who rarely bathes ( I dont know if it is cultural or this guy is just a slob). The pts and staff frequently complain. He is not endearing anyone

15. Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Bottom line: people DO judge you on appearance. This resident was basically saying, "I don't care how patients/families perceive me ... my own comfort/style is more important."

Wear the clown suit on your own time.

16. trkd

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it would be only worth while (maybe :confused: ) if it is an anonymous eval AND it is a reoccurring theme. A one time cameo of the floss can happen to any girl to be honest. Either way I think it is risky (probably not as risky as the grab and pull method mentioned).

17. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Maybe I missed it, but was your attending hot? That would play a role in how I'd approach the situation. :cool:

18. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wait, if she is wearing scrubs, why aren't they tucked in? Isn't the MD way to tuck them in?

On the flip side, some women seem to not understand that the huge V neck in the scrubs does not cover their chest if they bend over in the slightest. I recommend you not mention anything to them either.

The only safe way to get the attending to know would be to have another girl tell her. Or, tell a patient to do it.

19. doctawife

doctawife Rocephin is for wimps
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, I struggle with this one. I get hot, so I don't like wearing an undershirt, but I don't want the girls hanging out over some 14 year old's face in the ER.

My answer? Sports bras. Lots o'coverage, not too hot.

20. c.bear

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ninja...I was wondering the same thing.

And the v neck thing is an issue in it's self. The key is UNDERSHIRT.

I think the sports bra thing might work for some...but our scrubs are so incredibly huge without an tucked in undershirt people could probably see my navel.

21. EM2BE

EM2BE Elf
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I prefer the light shirt underneath...but then again, I'm usually on the cold side most places I am (in a classroom most of the time).

22. doctawife

doctawife Rocephin is for wimps
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Size small scrub top, sports bra, size medium pants. I've done the mirror tests, and it works.

But I totally, totally TOTALLY agree with previous posters - panties (or tighty whities or thongs) of any kind should never EVER be visible.

I did once tell an attending that I could see his boxers through his scrubs, and that I thought it was all wrong. Of course, I used large amounts of humor (that I can't remember) to make my point. But dude, the guy needed to hide his undies a little!

I'm always checking to make sure everything's tucked in. Just in case.

23. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As a distinctly different problem, but with the same implications, how does one tell a female that her high beams are one?
    And also, how doesn't she know?

We also had a male surgical attending who frequently had high beams, made me want to vomit.

24. OP
    OP
    BadVB750

BadVB750 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree about the term headlights however, it would be cool if the breast did have a highbeam function. You would never have to search for a flashlight when the power goes out. Also, you wouldn't stub your toe on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

25. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Or better yet, MACHINE GUN JUMBLIES!!!

26. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh, behave. ;)

27. Febrifuge

Febrifuge Grizzled Old Newcomer
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    To the OP: if this is some type of evil mind game to see if you have the cojones to broach an uncomfortable topic with a figure if authority, take a pass and don't say anything. That level of evil is something you can't work with anyway.

If it's an attending who wants to feel a little extra-sexy because work is getting boring, or some boyfriend dumped her, or she just dumped a boyfriend, or whatever, don't say anything. You can't possibly know what possesses someone to dress that way for work, and then not take steps to make sure it's not an issue.

Not to mention, it's not your place to help protect her from misperceptions on the part of the patients. Grownup doctors can and should police themselves for errors of personal style. I would feel bad if little clumps of people are snickering behind her back about it, but even then as a student I'd tell her what's up only if she asked "what is all that about?" or something similar. And then, I'd use a ton of tact and diplomacy.

Remember, there's no way to bring it to her attention without saying her underpants got your attention, and there's just no good way to have that conversation with an attending.

28. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Is there a (female) nurse in the department you could sort of point out the problem to? Or manage to get in the room at the same time so she happens to see it for herself? I'm thinking one of those older nurses who has done this forever and manages that delicate balance of sensitivity and matter-of-fact-ness necessary to make the shy patient with a horribly embarrassing personal problem somehow feel comfortable about whatever degrading procedure they're about to endure... The kind of nurse that could draw your attending aside and say "honey, your thong shows when you bend over" and not have anyone fired, quit, or sent to sensitivity training by the end of the day...

29. jmrck

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sports bras get the job done :thumbup: !!!! (especially if you are petite with a good size jug)

30. Dianyla

Dianyla in denial
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    You don't. :)

Could be several reasons:
    a) Erect nipples are a fairly unconscious reflex that can be triggered by temperature, arousal, stress, nonsexual friction, etc.
    b) It is almost impossible to feel erect nipples if you are the the owner of said nipples.
    c) They may not be erect, it might be just the way her nips are anatomically shaped.
    d) She may know perfectly well, but there is nothing she can do about it. I can't will my nipples to become erect any more than I will them to become flaccid again.
    e) She may know perfectly well and not give a rat's ass what you think.

Hope this helps. :smuggrin:

31. c.bear

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    lol...I love it.....it's way to late...I can't sleep...and this makes it worth it...

32. hyperbaric

hyperbaric Cool under pressure.
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I might be one of the only females on the planet who does not like sports bras. My crack prevention warm-weather plan is a thin, extra-long tank (my favs are from old navy). The tank is long enough to tuck in and for me to bend, squat, etc without it coming out.

I don't tuck my scrub top in because I am tall enough that it pulls out when I move. If I go to a bigger size, then I risk cleavage exposure because the top is just too big. Some may say that an untucked top looks unprofessional, but I think that enormously baggy scrubs do too. What is a girl to do?

33. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member

Attending Physician
    This thread is useless without pics.

Carry on.

34. DrBuckNasty

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    very enlightening indeed.

35. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I like the word host here, it either makes it sound like the girl wants to throw a party or she is serving as the host for some sort of parasitic underwear.