UNE vs Touro (lost... please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toolittleinfo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two. I appreciate any advice given on this!
- Both are new schools and the tuition is similar.
- s/o lives closer to UNE
- students at Touro haven't started seeing patients in the clinic yet. This makes me a little nervous, as there is no information on what their patient pool will look like.
- UNE is P/F with no ranking. I'm worried that this will be a problem if I decide to specialize down the road. I know that it's possible to specialize from P/F schools, but UNE is new so it doesn't have a strong reputation.

I really like UNE, but I don't want to close any doors on the possibility of specializing by going to a school without grades/ranking. Is this a reasonable concern? I know that quite a few students in the class of 2017 and 2018 got into specialty/residency programs, but those two years had a traditional grading system (P/F system was first implemented for the class of 2019).

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I would choose UNE. P/F will help, I bet they have a better patient pool as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at Touro. Save on rental cost, go closer to your home and commute.

Here at Touro, we have some classes that are Pass/Fail but the majority are letter grades. Our clinic started this semester although we won't see our first patient until Summer 18, we are currently accepting/screening potential patients. We are told that our patient based will be lower income families of upstate New York and the surrounding areas.

Work hard, pass your classes, pass boards, then apply to any specialty you want. Dental school is dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Just so you know some P/F schools keep internal records in case an applicant wants to apply to residency and they have a high rank.

Just so you know some P/F schools keep internal records in case an applicant wants to apply to residency and they have a high rank.

True pass fail dental schools do not. But schools like ours do. Is UNE true pass/fail? Like does not keep records? Please correct me if I am wrong!

True pass fail dental schools do not. But schools like ours do. Is UNE true pass/fail? Like does not keep records? Please correct me if I am wrong!
I think Harvard (maybe uconn?) are the only true pass/fail dental schools

If you want to set yourself up for success, go to the cheapest option and work your tail off. If you go to a P/F school, try to get involved with extracurriculars of the specialty you like. Try to get leadership positions. Make your future application stand out with something other than "P's." If you go to a traditional graded and ranked school, work hard and study. Try to keep your rank up and get involved.

Something to think about with Touro: I am completely speculating here but because it is the newest dental school, admissions statistics won't be as high as other schools. But applicants are diverse, it gives many applicants who have less competitive statistics an opportunity for a second chance. People make mistakes, and they learn from them. Don't be surprised if a number of students there are older, more mature, and driven to succeed because they have been given another chance at a career they really want. Again this is purely speculative, just a possibility to think about.

Reactions: 1 users