irishlaydi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Maine
Status
Hi all. Anyone else have an interview March 10th at UNECOM???? Anyone have interview advice for me for UNECOM? I know its a 2 person interview right? Who interviews usually? thanks, and any advice would be great.
:luck:

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
irishlaydi said:
Hi all. Anyone else have an interview March 10th at UNECOM???? Anyone have interview advice for me for UNECOM? I know its a 2 person interview right? Who interviews usually? thanks, and any advice would be great.
my interview at UNECOM was with two people, one faculty member and one student. it was more of an informal chat than an interview. just be yourself and you'll be fine. it was the lowest stress interview i had.

i wish the admissions staff had told me that they had already filled their class before they invited me for an interview. i wouldn't have wasted the time or money interviewing for a space that wasn't available to begin with.

i got put on their waiting list, but the admissions office told me they only had 2 people pulled off the waiting list last year, and they expect the same to be the case this year. i'm just pissed i went all the way up there and there wasn't even a space they could give me.

Karine04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
irishlaydi said:
My interview was actually with a panel of three people: the dean of students (she is super sweet), a professor, and a local DO who is an alum. Like everyone has said, it was fairly laid-back and relatively short. The questions were pretty standard - they focused on the aspects of my application that were unique to me. Relax and know yourself and your application well.

It's a gorgeous place and an amazingly equipped school. Congrats on the interview and best of luck!

OP
irishlaydi

irishlaydi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Maine
Status
Karine04 said:
My interview was actually with a panel of three people: the dean of students (she is super sweet), a professor, and a local DO who is an alum. Like everyone has said, it was fairly laid-back and relatively short. The questions were pretty standard - they focused on the aspects of my application that were unique to me. Relax and know yourself and your application well.

It's a gorgeous place and an amazingly equipped school. Congrats on the interview and best of luck!

Thanks to u both for answering. I know any acceptance given now is a waitlist/space available, but i'm going to the interview anyway. given that i'm from NY and not New England I'm sure its not a big chance i'll get in, but to me its worth going anyway. did they bring up the fact that class is full now in anyone's interviews? Thanks again. what kind of stuff did they ask in your interviews? any specific questions that alot of people got at UNECOM? :luck:

Frogmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Norman
Status
irishlaydi said:
When did you get notified of your interview? I was wondering if they send letters or e-mails. Also, how far in advance do you know about your interview? My friends file was complete on March 1st. Do you know how long it usually takes for them to notify you of an interview?

OP
irishlaydi

irishlaydi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Maine
Status
Frogmed said:
When did you get notified of your interview? I was wondering if they send letters or e-mails. Also, how far in advance do you know about your interview? My friends file was complete on March 1st. Do you know how long it usually takes for them to notify you of an interview?

Hi. I received an email last week and my interview is next thursday. It seemed like the standard "we're offering you an interview" letter, except the date was already in there. I do know that the class is full, and anyone interviewed and accepted now is for a waitlist position. Admissions also told me they are almost done offering interviews. So, If your friend is really interested in getting an interview I would say have them definately call admissions or Lisa Lane in admissions. My file was complete around the same time as your friend. Let me know if I can help w/ anything else. I'm not sure of the usual time between apps being complete and interviews offered. Now it should be short since I believe they don't interview after March. :luck:

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
I have a real problem with the way they're doing things at UNECOM. I don't think it's fair to interview students for a place on the waiting list when they know they'll almost certainly have less than 5 spaces become available for over 80 waitlisted applicants.

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
NeuroDO said:
I have a real problem with the way they're doing things at UNECOM. I don't think it's fair to interview students for a place on the waiting list when they know they'll almost certainly have less than 5 spaces become available for over 80 waitlisted applicants.
Well if you applied early you would not have to deal with any of this.

When I interviewed in Sept. 3 out of 5 applicants interviewing where on waitlist last year and most likely they got accepted. EARLY APPLICATION IS THE KEY.

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
... except some years they have moved a large number of people off the wait list... you never know from year to year

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
docbill said:
Well if you applied early you would not have to deal with any of this.
Thanks for the smart ass comment. That's really helpful.

docbill said:
When I interviewed in Sept. 3 out of 5 applicants interviewing where on waitlist last year and most likely they got accepted. EARLY APPLICATION IS THE KEY.
Should medical schools be selecting applicants based on when they apply or based on the quality of the applicants' credentials? My GPA and MCAT score were far, far above UNECOM's averages, but just because they had to wait on my committee letter, their class was full by the time I interviewed.

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
NeuroDO said:
Thanks for the smart ass comment. That's really helpful.

Should medical schools be selecting applicants based on when they apply or based on the quality of the applicants' credentials? My GPA and MCAT score were far, far above UNECOM's averages, but just because they had to wait on my committee letter, they class was full by the time I interviewed.
Sorry about that, it was not meant as a smart ass comment.. but I see how it could be read like that.

Unfortunately, or fortunately for me, roling admissions does work this way.
Otherwise I could of been rejected due to low stats compared to most applicants.

OP
irishlaydi

irishlaydi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Maine
Status
Hi all. thanks to those who posted. i leave in the am for Maine and just wanted to see if any kind souls out there had bits of last minute advice. :D This isn't my 1st interview, but the nerves are starting already...and i haven't even sat thru the 7 hour drive yet! I would appreciate any thoughts or advice for the interview.

Also, I was offered a chance to sit thru a class friday morning, has anyone done this, and is it worth it?

sfrduder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
docbill said:
Sorry about that, it was not meant as a smart ass comment.. but I see how it could be read like that.

Unfortunately, or fortunately for me, roling admissions does work this way.
Otherwise I could of been rejected due to low stats compared to most applicants.

Yeah, I think applying early is the key to UNECOM.

They seem to accept almost anyone who applys early, and I think this hurts them on getting a class with a higher GPA and MCAT. Already the scores appear high, but it seems like the school could be a bit more selective. I think in the past, maybe 5 year ago they may have had trouble filling a class, so they have that tendancy to over accept early on.

There is big a difference between having to apply early and being a more competitive applicant.

mcandy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2003
Frisco, CO
Visit site
Status
Pre-Dental
I have some interview advice for ya...Sorels, down jacket and 4 to 5 70lb sand tubes in your trunk. Better through in a shovel too.

As far as attending classes on Friday...there are some, but they might be shortened/less than exciting due to a lack of attendance. We are in hell week and most people will be in the library studying for a bacT exam.

AS far as the interview...everyone above nailed it. Be yourself. Very laid back. Just have some good ? ready for your interviewers...I think I asked more of them thean they asked of me. Good luck

PS..stats aren't everything...experiences mean alot to a lot of DO ADCOMs...don't forget that. Some of the best students in our class are older folks with a lower undergrad GPA or MCAT that worked in hospitals or served in the military. Straight A/30 MCAT does not equal success in med school...focus does.

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
mcandy said:
As far as attending classes on Friday...there are some, but they might be shortened/less than exciting due to a lack of attendance. We are in hell week and most people will be in the library studying for a bacT exam.
Hell week? I don't know what you're talking about :confused:

On friday we have physio from 8am to 10am... that might be interesting for you to attend. 10am to 12pm is Population Health... well, it's something to do. Ok, back to the bacteria! Have a safe trip. See you on friday! (well, maybe we won't b/c we'll all be studying! Best of luck anyway though :D

OP
irishlaydi

irishlaydi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Maine
Status
Just wanted to thank you all for your advice, thoughts, etc... I had a GREAT time at UNECOM and everyone I met was so friendly and nice (even with exams the next day!). I haven't heard anything yet, but really hope that I get on the waitlist. I know it is rather long now, does anyone know how/when the list is ranked and if anyone has been taken off the list yet this year? Thanks again to all u current and future students!!! :luck:

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
The list was supposed to be ranked on Saturday, but I haven't received an email, so I'm guess it's not finalized yet.

No one has been taken of the waiting list this year. Last year, two people were taken off the waitlist.