UNECOM or AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTodd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been accepted to my two top D.O. school choices - UNECOM and AZCOM. I liked the general area and school at UNECOM best but AZCOM is also very nice and it is much closer (I'm from the Pacific Northwest). I really want to go to the school where I would be happiest. Can current students give me any feedback? Is it true the students at UNECOM are a more tight-knit group?

Members don't see this ad.

MTodd said:
Well, I've been accepted to my two top D.O. school choices - UNECOM and AZCOM. I liked the general area and school at UNECOM best but AZCOM is also very nice and it is much closer (I'm from the Pacific Northwest). I really want to go to the school where I would be happiest. Can current students give me any feedback? Is it true the students at UNECOM are a more tight-knit group?

UNE-COM has pretty low acceptance stats and don't have the best board scores.

AZCOM has a 100% board pass rate, and is in an excellent location.

I suppose it depends on if you like perfect weather, or conditions not compatible with life.

Students at UNE are very tight-knit... more so than I've seen at any other school but I dont know much about AZCOM. Acceptance stats are on par with all other schools... but since when does that mean anything to anyone except anal gunners anyway? There are actually 4 different seasons here in New England, but if your not a big wuce that should'nt matter. Most of us actually enjoy seasonal activities like the beach in the summer and fall, skiing and snowshoeing in the winter etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
UNE-COM has pretty low acceptance stats and don't have the best board scores.

AZCOM has a 100% board pass rate, and is in an excellent location.

I suppose it depends on if you like perfect weather, or conditions not compatible with life.

It also depends on whether or not you want to go to school with tools like OSUdoc08. I can guarantee that you won't find people like that at UNECOM. I chose to come to UNE because it best matched my undergrad...a small, tight knit, supportive and welcoming atmosphere, devoid of gunners, backstabbers, and trolls who like to knock on other schools.

Echinoidea said:
It also depends on whether or not you want to go to school with tools like OSUdoc08. I can guarantee that you won't find people like that at UNECOM. I chose to come to UNE because it best matched my undergrad...a small, tight knit, supportive and welcoming atmosphere, devoid of gunners, backstabbers, and trolls who like to knock on other schools.

Funny how simply stating facts makes people so pissy.

You didn't even try to refute my comments, did you?

The Weather in Phoenix is nice for most of the year. It's those 4-5 months that make you question your existence.

Jambi said:
The Weather in Phoenix is nice for most of the year. It's those 4-5 months that make you question your existence.

At least your saliva and urine don't freeze. Just wear a hat and get some sunblock.

OSUdoc08 said:
At least your saliva and urine don't freeze. Just wear a hat and get some sunblock.
:laugh: :laugh:

OSUdoc08 said:
Funny how simply stating facts makes people so pissy.

You didn't even try to refute my comments, did you?

Your comments were factually correct. I can't argue with them. I was merely trying to point out the kind of student that UNECOM does not attract, which is you. And I'm glad for that.

And I'll take 4 seasons any day over going to med school in Jesusland.

Echinoidea said:
Your comments were factually correct. I can't argue with them. I was merely trying to point out the kind of student that UNECOM does not attract, which is you. And I'm glad for that.

And I'll take 4 seasons any day over going to med school in Jesusland.

You don't even know me, buddy.

Enjoy hell.

:D

OSUdoc08 said:

Maybe if you closed your mouth once in a while your saliva would not freeze ;)

As for your urine... :confused: Have you considered pants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Shodddy18 said:
Maybe if you closed your mouth once in a while your saliva would not freeze ;)

As for your urine... :confused: Have you considered pants?

The pee would then get on the pants silly. Just because Billy Madison thinks it's cool doesn't mean it really is.

My mouth has been closed this entire time I've been typing.

OSUdoc08 said:
The pee would then got on the pants silly. Just because Billy Madison thinks it's cool doesn't mean it really is.

If that was a joke I didnt get it :confused:

Can you explain the punchline?

Shodddy18 said:
If that was a joke I didnt get it :confused:

Can you explain the punchline?

Sure. It's simple.

If you pee or spit in Maine. It freezes.

I dated a girl from Maine, so I know firsthand.

OSUdoc08 said:
Sure. It's simple.

If you pee or spit in Maine. It freezes.

I dated a girl from Maine, so I know firsthand.

So is it normal to pee on your pants where you are from?

Shodddy18 said:
So is it normal to pee on your pants where you are from?

Nah. Normally I aim for a bush or a tree.

Sometimes lakes or ponds are cool too.

Thanks for the comments guys. However, both of your comments now make me a bit leary of either of your schools. I'd appreciate it if you didn't continue you bashing on the thread I started.

OSUdoc08 said:
You don't even know me, buddy.

Enjoy hell.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AWSOME

I have to use that line some time. (and no I am not supporting any one else in this little bicker-fest).

OSUdoc08 said:
Nah. Normally I aim for a bush or a tree.

Sometimes lakes or ponds are cool too.

You know Ive always been told that things are different down south :laugh:

If y'all don't go to AZCOM or UNECOM, y'all should shut up so some constructive thoughts could be posted and help out the OP. Take this juvenile fecal-splattering to the lounge.

OP, I'm in Colorado right now. I liked UNE when I visited there - and the faculty is very aware that some changes need to be made. They are doing admissions a bit differently this year, and there are some changes in the works to try and improve board scores (so I hear, but have not heard specifics). I spoke to a woman who currently goes there and she absolutely LOVES it. Apparently in the past three years (which have shown steady down trends in step I board scores), one class was known as the "slackers" and one was the "cheaters". I don't know if the other one gathered a nickname. But for the first time, they are taking 4-6 weeks for admissions decisions to more thoroughly discuss the applicants and to be able to compare applicants against each other to get the best class possible. Also, the students did seem very closely knit together and truly supportive of each other. I liked that a lot.

I did not apply to AZCOM because my daughter has a pretty poor tolerance for hot weather (as in she gets dehydrated to the point of vomiting 4-5 times through the summer). But there are my thoughts for what they're worth.

OSUDoc-
I snowmobiled into Moosehead Lake in Northern Maine (almost 200 miles north/northwest of UNE one morning at 4 am in the middle of January. The temp in the pick-up was -27 degrees, I am sure the temp on the lake was lower. I did spit on the ground, it didn't freeze (obviously it did eventually, but not even close to immediately). I've lived in northern/central maine for years now, I have never seen urine or spit freezing. Also, when I have exhaled my breath has never frozen and floated to the ground. All these are things silly people believe can happen in Maine, and do not.

OP-
I don't go to UNE, and in fact just turned them down for next year, however, I can tell you that I've worked in a healthcare setting for quite awhile, and UNE has, hands down, produced the best physicians I've encountered. They aren't just wonderful clinicians, they are good teachers and just good overall people. I don't know anything about AZCOM, but I can tell you that I find it hard to believe you'd go wrong by going to UNE. Also, for what it's worth, it isn't all that cold. Yeah, sometimes it goes below zero in the Biddeford area, but let me tell you, the difference between 15 degrees and negative 10 as far as what a human can perceive isn't great.

nocdzm4wpw said:
OSUDoc-
I snowmobiled into Moosehead Lake in Northern Maine (almost 200 miles north/northwest of UNE one morning at 4 am in the middle of January. The temp in the pick-up was -27 degrees, I am sure the temp on the lake was lower. I did spit on the ground, it didn't freeze (obviously it did eventually, but not even close to immediately). I've lived in northern/central maine for years now, I have never seen urine or spit freezing. Also, when I have exhaled my breath has never frozen and floated to the ground. All these are things silly people believe can happen in Maine, and do not.

OP-
I don't go to UNE, and in fact just turned them down for next year, however, I can tell you that I've worked in a healthcare setting for quite awhile, and UNE has, hands down, produced the best physicians I've encountered. They aren't just wonderful clinicians, they are good teachers and just good overall people. I don't know anything about AZCOM, but I can tell you that I find it hard to believe you'd go wrong by going to UNE. Also, for what it's worth, it isn't all that cold. Yeah, sometimes it goes below zero in the Biddeford area, but let me tell you, the difference between 15 degrees and negative 10 as far as what a human can perceive isn't great.

Frozen pee or not, you will NEVER catch me in -27 degree weather.

Cold weather is great. You can put your beers outside in the snow and 5 minutes later they are nice and cold. Then in the summer you don't loose half your body heat because of the sticky humid hot weather. Instead you go swimming in the sea.

UNECOM has a good history of making good physicians.
- NO the pass rate is not 100%
- NO it is not as big and doesn't have midwestern supporting it.

- The match results have been very well. I don't know what azcom is, since I never looked into it.
- I was pleased with the support each student gives and gets at UNECOM (from what I saw and been told). For me this is important. I am not a gunner, I am not going for Harvard Match spots. I have been out of undergrad for 7 years and I don't want to be in that environment. People killing eachother for a better grade. Again, I don't know what its like at AZCOM. Maybe the same.

- Having a small university is nice. Not only health care students. They get lame after a while. Always talking medicine. Blahhhhh

Canada is really close. When there is a draft.. I can sneak back across the border and not have to be sent out anywhere. hehehe

OSUdoc08 said:
Frozen pee or not, you will NEVER catch me in -27 degree weather.

I am starting to like Maine More and MORE.

Plus, Hmmm -27 the ladies will leave more for the Imagination.

I'm currently in my second year at UNE. Can't comment on AZCOM since I've never been there.

UNECOM definitely has a supportive atmosphere with classmates helping each other out, sharing notes, etc. Grading does not happen on a curve which helps curb the potential 'dog eat dog' approach to medical school. Each years class refines study aides which are then passed on to the incoming students in the next class.

There have been some issues with board pass rates in the last couple years. The reasons for this depend on who you talk to. My personal opinion is that the majority of the professors here are topnotch and that I feel I will be well prepared for rotations and boards. There's no need to worry about failing the boards if you attend UNE, you need to worry about failing the boards if you don't study.

You can't beat our location. In the fall before it gets frigid and unbearable we toss around the disc on the beach and go bodysurfing. It's true that it gets cold in the winter. There are nearby places with good cross country trails and a decent gym right next to our med facilities. You deal, but I won't deny that the winters last too long for me.

Many students rent houses on the beach for less than I was paying for rent on a one bedroom apartment prior to moving here. Portland is a pretty cool city as well. I live there and commute, which works out well for me.

UNE was my top choice for school. I'm stoked that I got in here and the school has ended up being everything that I hoped it would be. I've met some great people and I'm loving the classes. Well... I'm posting this in class. But I'm loving most of the classes.

If you want more feedback on specific issues I'll be happy to put in my two cents. Like I said, I don't know about AZCOM but UNE rocks.

Good luck with your decision.

J.

wrentana said:
I'm currently in my second year at UNE. Can't comment on AZCOM since I've never been there.

UNECOM definitely has a supportive atmosphere with classmates helping each other out, sharing notes, etc. Grading does not happen on a curve which helps curb the potential 'dog eat dog' approach to medical school. Each years class refines study aides which are then passed on to the incoming students in the next class.

There have been some issues with board pass rates in the last couple years. The reasons for this depend on who you talk to. My personal opinion is that the majority of the professors here are topnotch and that I feel I will be well prepared for rotations and boards. There's no need to worry about failing the boards if you attend UNE, you need to worry about failing the boards if you don't study.

You can't beat our location. In the fall before it gets frigid and unbearable we toss around the disc on the beach and go bodysurfing. It's true that it gets cold in the winter. There are nearby places with good cross country trails and a decent gym right next to our med facilities. You deal, but I won't deny that the winters last too long for me.

Many students rent houses on the beach for less than I was paying for rent on a one bedroom apartment prior to moving here. Portland is a pretty cool city as well. I live there and commute, which works out well for me.

UNE was my top choice for school. I'm stoked that I got in here and the school has ended up being everything that I hoped it would be. I've met some great people and I'm loving the classes. Well... I'm posting this in class. But I'm loving most of the classes.

If you want more feedback on specific issues I'll be happy to put in my two cents. Like I said, I don't know about AZCOM but UNE rocks.

Good luck with your decision.

J.

How long is the commute from Portland? Is housing still affordable? Although living on the beach would be awesome, I'm more of a city person. And I hear that Portland is a lot like the North End in Boston.

Portland is nice. If you're not going to live on the beach I see no reason not to live in Portland. Biddeford, not so nice....

I can't speak to rental rates since my wife and I bought a house in Portland instead of renting.

Commute takes me 40 minutes door to door, easy driving without any appreciable traffic. I like the commute to wind down or listen to lectures that I missed on my ipod, etc.

J.

could somebody discuss/compare the OMM training at both schools...which one is better? and why?

hottie said:
could somebody discuss/compare the OMM training at both schools...which one is better? and why?

I'm a second year at UNECOM and I can say that UNE has a very good OMM program. OMT is emphasized at UNECOM. I've heard that a lot of schools (PCOM mostly) don't have a strong OMT emphasis. It is not taught as the be all end all treatment, but it is taught as an adjunct with every system. I have not heard anything about the AZCOM program so I can not comment on it.

I'm an ms4 at AZCOM here is my review of my school.

THe first 2 years here are awesome - the faculty and the administration will do whatever it takes to help you succeed. There is free tutoring through the Dean's office (opportunities to tutor once you pass a class and get approval from the instructor). All of the prof. are accessible and willing to help you. I had a baby between my 1st and 2nd year and brought my 3 week old to class for about 6 weeks at the beginning of my ms2 year. there are a lot of families at AZCOM so if you have a family or want to start a family it is a good place. That being said - there are lots of single who spend a lot of time at bars (expecially after exams). This school really wants there students to succeed and it is very pro-student.

Then come the clinical years - I have very mixed feelings about these two years. They are very flexible - I spent 6 months in Tucson and then moved to New Orleans (where my hubby is from). There is a week or 2 at the beginning of your 3rd year you are required to be on campus and month at the beginning of your 4th year you are required to be on campus for a bunch of mind-numbing, worthless lectures. Seriously, they were totally worthless. I had to fly in and stay for a month for a bunch of crap. You don't take the oficial shelf exams but you are required to take inservice exams for IM, OB, Peds, Surgery, psych, Family practice your 3rd year and ER, critical care, IM, neuro your 4th year. Most of the exams are ridiculously poorly written.

If you like phoenix and want to stay in phoenix for your clinical years a lot of the hospitals are now open to us for rotations - we used to be locked out because of political issues with UofA. Some people in my class went all over the state and stayed in free housing the whole time and didn't have to pay any rent - that is a plus if you are free as a bird. Some people relocated to Kingman, Az and did all of their rotations there.

I hate phoenix and couldn't wait to move away - it is a bunch of strip malls and highways. That being said it is very easy to live there because they have every major franchised store within a 10 minute drive. Housing is pretty affordable and a lot of people in my class bought houses. THere are a lot of parks, dog parks and there is a skate park really close to the school for all of you old school skaters who want to shred with hundreds of 12 year old boys.

Oh yeah - it is really hot. It is so hot that part of my dashboard melted - that's right not something i left in the car...but my car itself.

Overall - I am glad I chose AZCOM the people and the faculty make the first two years completely doable and in a very supportive and happy way. Everyone there is so nice it is great - you will not find many people who want to succeed at the expense of a classmate. it is medical school as a team sport here.

hope this helps - i would be glad to answer any specific q's if anyone wants to pm me.