UNECOM vs NSUCOM vs LECOM vs NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwings54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a feel of current med students on why they chose the schools they chose. Besides location, which does play a role, why did you pick your school? Are there any specific areas that your school is specifically strong in? I know UNECOM has a top rated anatomy program, but I am not sure about the rest. Also, are there things about your school you wish you could change or things you dont like? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks. Smile :)

Members don't see this ad.

good post I'm very curious to know this also ... add PCOM in there while you're at it.

redwings54 said:
I am trying to get a feel of current med students on why they chose the schools they chose. Besides location, which does play a role, why did you pick your school? Are there any specific areas that your school is specifically strong in? I know UNECOM has a top rated anatomy program, but I am not sure about the rest. Also, are there things about your school you wish you could change or things you dont like? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks. Smile :)

I personally like how our exams are scheduled. We usually have them scheduled for a Thu, Fri, then Mon, Tue so that we have 2 days in the middle of the block exams to recuperate and prepare of other classes. I like how we have our lectures archived so we can stream our lectures whenever we want. The faculty is very much accessible, our Anatomy lab is open from 6 am to 2 am, you can come in anytime, the Anatomy department is great!

NYCOM's curriculum is changing next year for the incoming first years. We still have the usual block system for lecture-based learning, but 40 students will now be participating in the new PBL program at NYCOM. Once you get accepted, I think you can apply for the 40 spots. I saw the presentation they did during the interview about it, and I personally think it's great that we know offer this option, since there are people who learn better using this method.

I'm also pretty impressed with the ICC (Institute for Clinical Competence) at NYCOM, which includes the Standardized Patient Program and the Human Patient Simulator Program. Basically we have 8 fully equipped rooms that have 2 video cameras. You basically use the videos from your session to evaluate the way you handled patients, your demeanor, etc.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
too broad of a net to comapre many at once.

I made my choice for tuition, rotations, weather, and gut feeling. Those were some of my main factors and you get them from research and interviewing at them.

I'm sure you'll find students at each of these schools who are excited about their education. I'm at UNECOM and couldn't be happier. Great location, quality instructors, and I've met some great people in my class.... They also do a good job of integrating an osteopathic approach into the material which I really appreciate. I can't speak for any of the other schools but definitely keep UNE on your list of schools to consider.

A four-way, no holds barred tag team BRAWL!!! Only on Pay Per View.

As you collect your information/opinions, make sure to factor in how much a school is expected to change in the next few years.

At NSU, I keep hearing every other day that "we're changing this, we're changing that..." Therefore, my feedback may mean Jack Squat by the time you (potentially) get here.

NS

you're right about the anatomy at UNECOM, it was a great experience. Also, the people there are great...all the faculty, and my classmates are all great friends.
Keep in mind, Maine is COLD!!!! This is a good thing to consider. Location really is a big factor. Also, Biddeford doesn't have much going on AT ALL. So if this is something that you're considering, remember that.

UNECOM MSIII