1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Uner 3.0 CLUB

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by puff, Mar 20, 2004.

1. puff

puff Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, Nice to meet you all..

This is my first time at this forum.

I graduated with Business major at 1999 and been working ever since (but will be quitting next month) but always wanted to
    become dentist.

But with my Overall GPA 2.3 and Sicence GPA of 2.2
    (I took most of siecence cources including, Gen Chem,Org. Chem, Biology, Physics ( I got "A" on Gen Bio I but grades for rest of them are mostly C,D and even F) during Freshman Sophomore years. So all my science classed has been more than 6 ~ 7 years.

I thought there was no hope to getting into dental school
    but, found out about my State school has prehealth preprogram
    and just got accepted. My prehealth advise told me I might have
    chance.... even with my Grades.........

I will be retaking all the science cources as below starting this summer (Gen.Chem I & II, Org.Chem I & II, Phy I & II,
    Biology I & II, Micro biology, Calculus 1, Statistic, Bio Chemistry..)

I will be working as Dentist assistant job and from next week (only on Saturdays about 5~8 hours) and
    also looking into doing research work at the hospital soon.

Ok, Here is my question.. please any advise will be really helpful to me...

1) Is there any hope or possibility getting into dental school
    if let say If I Ace on all my science course and if I can get
    20 or higher on DAT?

2) I will be taking classes as below from this summer
    Do you think taking classes as below is doable?

Summer Gen Cherm I & II, Cal I
    Fall 2004 Org Chem I, Phy I, Bio I
    Spring 2004 Org Chem II, Phy II, Bio II
    Summer Micro Biology & Bio Chem
    Study for DAT (during winter break and August and September)

3) Should I apply 2006 or 2007 ?

4) What other experience do I need ?

:) PUFF

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
  4. hafido

hafido Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Maybe you should enquire about a bost bac at your local universities. While your grades are on the low side, this forum is testament to the fact that many people in similar situations as yours have gotten into dental school.

5. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You definitely have a steep hill to climb, but you can do it. Sounds like you have a good plan set already! Good luck!

6. puff

puff Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you for all your replies...

Yah-h

can you reply to below questions......

2) I will be taking classes as below from this summer
    Do you think taking classes as below is doable?

Summer Gen Cherm I & II, Cal I
    Fall 2004 Org Chem I, Phy I, Bio I
    Spring 2004 Org Chem II, Phy II, Bio II
    Summer Micro Biology & Bio Chem
    Study for DAT (during winter break and August and September)

3) Should I apply 2006 or 2007 ?

thank you ...

7. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    as a member of this club and having read the thread a million times now, i am not sure if i can agree with you guys.

sure many of us, including myself, have gotten into dental school with rather awful stats. However, a gpa of 2.2 or 2.3 is really pushing it. my main concern with telling puff that he has a chance is:

-2.2 is really low
    -he has taken his sci courses 6-7 yr ago with getting C, D, F's.
    not only that these grades don't show good academic success, he may not do well on the DAT since things have changed for the past 7 yrs.

i am not trying to be negative or anything, but i really think that it will be a long shot with that kind of a profile.

i would think of doing a post bac study and then apply.

8. JRogoff

JRogoff Resident Palatal Phallacy
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    ^^^^

I am not a member of the club, but i must agree. Most people that i see get in with a 3.0 or under are either just under a 3.0 with a killer DAT or have done a post bac. 2.2- 2.3 is most definetly pushing it. I would definetly look into a post bac program to get that GPA up as much as possible. Your chances of getting in will increase greatly. Hope this helps and good luck!

9. puff

puff Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi all,

Actually, I alredy got into Post-Bach program
    and retaking every single pre-requistite
    courses from this summer.

Since last time I took these classes were
    about 6~7 years ago,... If I do well on my post bac classes, hopfully, this will get me
    any chances to get into dental school....

What do you think ?

:)

10. JRogoff

JRogoff Resident Palatal Phallacy
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    ^^^^^

Well then, this changes everything. You have a great chance of getting in if you do very well in your classes, i'm talking all As and Bs. You have to show adcoms that your old grades where then and the A's and Bs are now. Don't forget the DAT, you have to do well there too. Aim for 20's, a little below that will do possibly, but go for 20's! Hope this helps and good luck, study hard!

11. wimmcs

wimmcs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Last summer I wasn't able to sign up for many classes, I only took G Chem II, but last semester (Fall) I took, exactly what you plan on taking this Fall: I took OChem 1, Phy 1 and Bio 2 and I finished with all A's. This semester I'm taking Phy 2, OChem 2, Physiology and another upper division Biology class and so far I have all A's... we'll see what happens!!

In terms of taking micro and BChem in the summer, it would be nice if you take them on separate summer sessions. Biochem can be challenging (so I hear... I plan on taking it in the Fall) and my OChem professor suggested that if I planned on taking biochem in the summer, to make sure I was taking that class only for that particular summer session. Good luck!!!

12. puff

puff Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you JROGOFF, I will try my best
    and aiming for all "A" ....

Wimmcs, when are you planning to apply?
    Can you tell me what was your GPA from Undergrad? are you in Post bach?

When you were taking classes last fall,
    how many hours per week did you study? did you work at all during taking these classes?

I just so curious since I've been out from school so long...

Puff.

13. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Puff,

Have you tried calculating what your GPA (overall and science) would be if you took the remaining 11 classes you mentioned. I mean, if you get A's in all 11 classes, what would be your new overall GPA and science GPA. Then it would be easier to see where you stand. You'll need high DAT scores (no brainer, I know).

To answer your questions:
    Is the courseload doable? Well, how motivated are you? Of course it's doable, but that really is dependent on you. I also had to go back to school and take my science course load. I took GChem I and II in the same semester. It wasn't easy, but I managed to do well. I also worked a few years like yourself and was a much more responsible student the second time around. And that's what you'll need to be too. I kind of treated my post-bac like a job...working 40-60 hrs/wk. At this point in your life, you can't afford to slack off...same thing with me a few years ago.

Should you apply for '06 or '07? Well, it looks like you're studying for the DAT in winter '05. I think based on your own timeline, a more realistic entry date into dental school is '07. It will be hard to get into school in '06 when you're applying so late in the cycle (in Jan, Feb, Mar of '06), based on your circumstances. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying based on the info you provided, I think '07 seems more realistic.

Good luck,
    HBomb.

14. wimmcs

wimmcs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm planning on applying this year. Believe me, I was very worried I wasn't going to be able to handle a full load of science courses, but like the last post indicated: if you are motivated, you'll do well. I already have 2 bachelor degrees (non-science) and when I went back to school to start my science pre-reqs, I only took 2 science classes just to see if I could "hack" it. Someone also mentioned about going back to school, you are more motivated... well, this is my case. I'm a lot better student and I try to retain as much as possible since I'll be using most of that information to do well on my DAT. I have kids, so what I did for study time is just like I did in the past when I was working full-time: took them to day care in the morning and treated school as if it was a full time job. I studied between classes and when it came 4:30, I picked up my kids. I got a lot done in between classes and of course, I had many all-nighters. I try to have a balance and spend good quality time with my family and make time for my studies. I don't work at all (fortunately), although I volunteer during the week and on weekends sometimes.
    My GPA overall is somewhere around ~3.65. Let me know if you have additional questions, I'd be happy to assist you. Good luck!!

15. puff

puff Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi All,
    Thanks everyone for the amazing replies.
    All your advises are so helpful to me.

I will keep post my progress.

thank you