Unethical practicum site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inquisitive99

Reaction score
I have written before asking advice whether to leave a psyd program, which I am most likely going to do.

However, it still bothers me that a practicum site I was at was so unethical. The supervisor signs off on clinical hours when students have not seen ANY clients the entire year, conducts what is essentially group therapy with both interns and clients participating, and has asked interns to donate money to the site. The director of training at my school did not seem particularly concerned with this behavior and I have had trouble getting a hold of anyone else to air my complaints.

It bothers me that this site continues to practice unethically and that other students in the program have to repeat an entire year of practicum if they had not gotten enough hours when other students have a supervisor lying for them.

Should I just mind my own business since I am likely leaving anyway, or is this something important to persist with? Any thoughts from more experienced persons are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be able to just report it to your DCT and that person should take care of it. It’s not your job as a student to expose all that crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
I have written before asking advice whether to leave a psyd program, which I am most likely going to do.

However, it still bothers me that a practicum site I was at was so unethical. The supervisor signs off on clinical hours when students have not seen ANY clients the entire year, conducts what is essentially group therapy with both interns and clients participating, and has asked interns to donate money to the site. The director of training at my school did not seem particularly concerned with this behavior and I have had trouble getting a hold of anyone else to air my complaints.

It bothers me that this site continues to practice unethically and that other students in the program have to repeat an entire year of practicum if they had not gotten enough hours when other students have a supervisor lying for them.

Should I just mind my own business since I am likely leaving anyway, or is this something important to persist with? Any thoughts from more experienced persons are welcome!
I think it depends on your own values. Are you more of a “mind my own business” type of person? Or do you want to try and protect future students from getting crappy training when your DCT is unwilling to do anything? (I am not judging you either way, just posing some thought provoking questions)

you can also report this supervisor to the licensing board in your state!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd report it to the DCT, especially if you're leaving and not likely to experience repercussions related to disclosing it anyway. If you think patient/client care is compromised, I'd also submit a complaint to the state licensure board that oversees the practicum site's supervisor (who presumably is licensed)...

Reactions: 1 users
The director of training at my school did not seem particularly concerned with this behavior
These types of concerns need to be expressed during APA site visits.

I’m not sure about any other body that can do anything. Maybe the licensing board may care but not sure.

Reactions: 1 users