Unexpected drop in Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePianist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
Posting here to see if anyone has some constructive advice or heard of a similar experience with a positive outcome. Step 2 CK scores came in on 9/16/2015.
Step 2 CK score: 210, non-representative of my preparedness. Regardless, that doesn't matter now.
My others stats: School- American University of the Caribbean, US citizen, Step 1 225, Step 2 CS passed, passed all NBMEs on 1st attempt, honors in all clerkships, strong letters, research experience with 1 publication. Applied to 200 IM and 100 family programs(goal was to match IM). Everything was in line until this devastating step 2 score.

Members don't see this ad.

On the bright side you don't need a visa, had that been the case your chances would be very low (especially for IM). However I believe with the right amount of programs applied to, you still stand a good chance of matching. Family medicine specifically is very forgiving with scores and I'm sure you will receive interviews in that specialty, however I am not too familiar with how IM will perceive your scores as they are more score-centric. This is just my opinion I may be wrong.

I wish you good luck in the upcoming match.

Last edited:
I'm going to be very honest and upfront with you.
A lot of IM programs are putting a lot of
emphasis on USMLE step 2. Some IM programs are putting 225-230 step 1 and 2 cut offs on international students especially but that's not all. The step scores have been increasing substantially in the past few years so it's understandable that programs are putting higher cutoffs. With that being said sure the drop will hurt you a little bit but I still think you will match to AN internal medicine program. It might not be the best but it will be somewhere. The rest of your application looks strong such as all honors in 3rd year and strong LORs.

You applied to 200 programs which is a decent amount but I would advice that you gather up the money and apply to another 50 IM programs if IM is really what you want. That should net you another 2-3 interviews which could make the difference so don't be worried about dropping another 1 grand even if it's a credit card loan, family or friend loan. It's better to be safe than sorry. Based on your situation I would want to match to IM and not really FM. You won't have a problem matching into FM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Really appreciate the responses. Thank you guys. It just feels like I was going to get an M.D. and never get a residency in anything. 95% of the programs I apply to have many many IMGs in there but will look into 50 more I am. Really don't want to family.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be very honest and upfront with you.
A lot of IM programs are putting a lot of
emphasis on USMLE step 2. Some IM programs are putting 225-230 step 1 and 2 cut offs on international students especially but that's not all. The step scores have been increasing substantially in the past few years so it's understandable that programs are putting higher cutoffs. With that being said sure the drop will hurt you a little bit but I still think you will match to AN internal medicine program. It might not be the best but it will be somewhere. The rest of your application looks strong such as all honors in 3rd year and strong LORs.

You applied to 200 programs which is a decent amount but I would advice that you gather up the money and apply to another 50 IM programs if IM is really what you want. That should net you another 2-3 interviews which could make the difference so don't be worried about dropping another 1 grand even if it's a credit card loan, family or friend loan. It's better to be safe than sorry. Based on your situation I would want to match to IM and not really FM. You won't have a problem matching into FM.

My understanding is that abim pass rates have been declining over the past several years and the increased focus on step 2 is a reaction to that. I don't think that their applicant pool has changed greatly so I doubt that it will make a big difference besides having medical students take step 2 earlier with it playing a bigger role in the application cycle.

I've heard step 1 is more important though cause it can be compared across all applicants? And also that it's possible some programs are just looking for a pass on step 2 since many AMGs won't have that score available. Just would be nice to have the application considered as a whole rather than isolated scores meaning the end of the world

Step 1 is important because everyone takes it before their apps and it's standardized. Third year grades are a cluster and LORs are probably going to extol your virtues or else you would not ask that physician for it.