Unfair practices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrh123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm a CA re-applicant. I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I've really had it with the pompous behavior of medical school admissions practices.
I had my ups and downs but these last three admissions cycles have convinced me that these guys are just looking for a bunch of perfectionistic a** kissers.
My first cycle was marred by my MCAT. I had a 9/11/9. I knew I could do better so I started studying right after I got my results and took it again a month later (I'm already a non-trad after all). I was really proud of my first verbal score and all my teachers and professors have always praised my writing prowess so I focussed on the other two sections. I got a 10/7 /11.:(. I figured anyone with an ounce of logic would know that the 7 was a fluke. Right? But noooooo. No luck for me. I have every other quality anyone would want in a physician and one simple error shoots me down. Who do these people think they are anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

Your first cycle was marred by the MCAT. You retook it and got a lower score...so what were your second and third marred by?

If everyone around you is misbehaving and doing you wrong, it may be time to look in the mirror.

Then again, it is April Fools'.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your first cycle was marred by the MCAT. You retook it and got a lower score...so what were your second and third marred by?

If everyone around you is misbehaving and doing you wrong, it may be time to look in the mirror.

Then again, it is April Fools'.
After my first experience I carefully reviewed every aspect of my application and realized I had been too humble. I've never really been any good a "tooting my own horn."
I addressed that in my second application. Still no luck...

Applied to osteopathic schools? I had similar experiences applying due to low MCAT verbal scores. Even when I maxed out at verbal score of 8, I found out by 3rd cycle that very few MD schools offered any love, while the DO schools gave me interviews left and right.

I have every other quality anyone would want in a physician and one simple error shoots me down.

I sincerely doubt this was the case, there were probably other aspects of your application that were dragging down your chances besides the 28/29 MCAT. Perhaps your school selection was also flawed, who knows. You would really need to go in-depth in your description of your application to receive any worthwhile feedback here.

Not sure if April Fools or fool o_O

The jury is still out. :shrug:

It was pretty obvious you were nervous for the second take. Obviously it is the blind leading the blind over there. The least they could have done was replace your 2nd verbal score with the 1st one.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied to osteopathic schools? I had similar experiences applying due to low MCAT verbal scores. Even when I maxed out at verbal score of 8, I found out by 3rd cycle that very few MD schools offered any love, while the DO schools gave me interviews left and right.
I respect your decision but I'm not ready to give up yet.

It was pretty obvious you were nervous for the second take. Obviously it is the blind leading the blind over there. The least they could have done was replace your 2nd verbal score with the 1st one.
That's so true!
Oddly, I didn't really notice it at the time or I would have voided the exam. Hindsight is 20/20.
I actually felt pretty good about it ...until I got the results.

I sincerely doubt this was the case, there were probably other aspects of your application that were dragging down your chances besides the 28/29 MCAT. Perhaps your school selection was also flawed, who knows. You would really need to go in-depth in your description of your application to receive any worthwhile feedback here.

The jury is still out. :shrug:
As a CA resident, I find it flawed that they have NO ALLEGIANCE to their own students.
I attended several community colleges and one CSU before graduating from a UC (that has a medical school) and I didn't even get an interview there!

I'm fairly certain that "super-scoring" isn't used almost anywhere. It would be nice, but more of a pipe-dream than anything. There might be a few schools that are exceptions to this, but I think you'd have to dig pretty deep to find one.

I respect your decision but I'm not ready to give up yet.

Are you sure about that? If you've been applying to the same schools over and over again, you might have hit the maximum number of re-applications. In addition, I would recommend considering DO programs as others have already mentioned.

As a CA resident, I find it flawed that they have NO ALLEGIANCE to their own students.

CA is tough, it's one of the most competitive IS groups of applicants, you really need to outshine a lot of other applicants to gain entry into any of the CA public schools. They definitely do have "allegiance" to their own students, you can see that quite easily by looking at their IS/OOS matriculant breakdown, but it is just incredibly competitive because there are only so many seats and lots of Californians fighting for them. Consider OOS schools or private institutions if you do decide to apply again, don't just stick to CA schools (if you did the latter, then your school choice most definitely hindered your chances last time).

You must learn to train your mind. Adcoms can sense when you have any mental weakeness. Therefore, you must imagine yourself doing 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, and 100 squats each day, along with a one hour mental fantasy of yourself running 10 km. You must be sure to do this every. Single. Day. Even if you find yourself getting extremely bored. It is the only way to achieve true mental superiority and impress the med schools. Bonus points if you shave your head.

CA instate residents have about a 15% chance of acceptance. National rate is 40%. A well defined school list is also needed outside of CA if you have not done so

Members don't see this ad :)
You must learn to train your mind. Adcoms can sense when you have any mental weakeness. Therefore, you must imagine yourself doing 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, and 100 squats each day, along with a one hour mental fantasy of yourself running 10 km. You must be sure to do this every. Single. Day. Even if you find yourself getting extremely bored. It is the only way to achieve true mental superiority and impress the med schools. Bonus points if you shave your head.

You are perfectly accurate in saying this but I could only envision Yoda saying this to Luke in Episode IV

Reactions: 2 users
I'm fairly certain that "super-scoring" isn't used almost anywhere. It would be nice, but more of a pipe-dream than anything. There might be a few schools that are exceptions to this, but I think you'd have to dig pretty deep to find one.
I did my research.
Vandy, Georgetown and Mecical College of Wisconsin all do it!
It it's good enough for them, why not here?
Besides, I applied to these schools on my last application and didn't even get an interview.

IMG_2445.JPG
You are perfectly accurate in saying this but I could only envision Yoda saying this to Luke in Episode IV
Sigh. When will I ever get any hero recognition?

CA is tough, it's one of the most competitive IS groups of applicants, you really need to outshine a lot of other applicants to gain entry into any of the CA public schools. They definitely do have "allegiance" to their own students, you can see that quite easily by looking at their IS/OOS matriculant breakdown, but it is just incredibly competitive because there are only so many seats and lots of Californians fighting for them. Consider OOS schools or private institutions if you do decide to apply again, don't just stick to CA schools (if you did the latter, then your school choice most definitely hindered your chances last time).
I have overcome some serious adversity. I got absolutely no credit for it. Meanwhile the very students I tutored have been accepted!

CA instate residents have about a 15% chance of acceptance. National rate is 40%. A well defined school list is also needed outside of CA if you have not done so
But why??
I would even go to Northstate despite my profound economic circumstances and they act like I don't even exist!

So you're a troll?

Mixing some genuine commentary with an April Fool's post to garner attention?
That is very unkind.
I've been lurking here for years and every time I try to post this is always what I get, April 1 or not.
At least today, a few people have cared enough to be helpful.

But why??
I would even go to Northstate despite my profound economic circumstances and they act like I don't even exist!

Simple market pressures of supply and demand. far too many well-qualified candidates for far too-few seats. You had a 29 and a 28 I believe, and multiple scores with no vast improvement. Many others superseded you on that. without knowing the rest of your application, it is impossible to give you further insight.

Last edited:
Besides, I applied to these schools on my last application and didn't even get an interview.
So, even with super-score you have a 32 MCAT, given this you are: well below Vandy's media of 37, competitive at MCW (although they have an IS preference if I remember right), competitive at Georgetown (but they have one of the largest applicant pools in the country, poor odds, I went to a GT feeder with a 517 and didn't receive an II).

I have overcome some serious adversity. I got absolutely no credit for it.

Again, there are a lot of different factors that go into admissions decisions. Also being extremely vague about anything and everything surrounding your application is really not helping your "I'm not a troll" case.

I've been lurking here for years and every time I try to post this is always what I get, April 1 or not.

"Joined today"

Bottom-line: You probably had other deficits to your application that lead to three unsuccessful cycles that you never truly addressed, you also had fairly low-yield school choices that ended up burning you in the end. You really need to look at your application and figure out what went wrong, because obviously whatever you have been doing isn't working. If you want SDN advice, you'd have to provide a detailed list of GPA, MCAT, ECs, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
So, even with super-score you have a 32 MCAT, given this you are: well below Vandy's media of 37, competitive at MCW (although they have an IS preference if I remember right), competitive at Georgetown (but they have one of the largest applicant pools in the country, poor odds, I went to a GT feeder with a 517 and didn't receive an II).

Again, there are a lot of different factors that go into admissions decisions. Also being extremely vague about anything and everything surrounding your application is really not helping your "I'm not a troll" case.

"Joined today"

Bottom-line: You probably had other deficits to your application that lead to three unsuccessful cycles that you never truly addressed, you also had fairly low-yield school choices that ended up burning you in the end. You really need to look at your application and figure out what went wrong, because obviously whatever you have been doing isn't working. If you want SDN advice, you'd have to provide a detailed list of GPA, MCAT, ECs, etc.

one of the second chancers they let back in

how many pages long are all of obamacare's rules if published as a book ?

That is very unkind.
At least today, a few people have cared enough to be helpful.

Again, relying on professional undertones to increase legitimacy. Not buying it.

Simple market pressures of supply and demand. far too many well-qualified candidates for far too-few seats. You had a 29 and a 28 I believe, and multiple scores with no vast improvement. Many others superseded you on that. without know the rest of your application, it is impossible to give you further insight.
I am an exemplary contributor to those around me.
I am from a really rural area with a multicultural heritage that was hidden from me until adulthood.
I tutor wealthy kids while I live in poverty.
I have volunteered too many hours to even list with out looking like a liar.
My gpa is only a little below average, 3.6.
I've scribed, I've shadowed a dermatologist. I've done everything!
All anyone cares about the stupid MCAT.

Last edited:

I posted in what are my chances every single time I applied!
It doesn't matter what I do to improve and I'm not about to take that MCAT again after what happened last time.
The problem here is a system that rewards robots and overlooks applicants that have so much to offer the very communities everyone says they're so interested in!

List 'em.
It doesn't matter what I do to improve and I'm not about to take that MCAT again after what happened last time.
Your score is going to expire soonish though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem here is a system that rewards robots and overlooks applicants that have so much to offer the very communities everyone says they're so interested in!
That is not going to change anytime soon. The more relevant problems are that you haven't scored high enough to get into an MD school and you won't entertain DO schools.

Could go DO with your original scores. Unfortunately they're all so old now you couldn't even apply.

I am an exemplary contributor to those around me.
I am from a really rural area with a multicultural heritage that was hidden from me until adulthood.
I tutor wealthy kids while I live in poverty.
My gpa is only a little below average, 3.6.
I've scribed, I've shadowed a dermatologist. I've done everything!
All anyone cares about the stupid MCAT.

How was your multicultural heritage hidden from you? This sounds like that Disney Channel movie about the boy who didn't know he was really a mermaid.

Thethirteenthyear.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
How was your multicultural heritage hidden from you? This sounds like that Disney Channel movie about the boy who didn't know he was really a mermaid.

Thethirteenthyear.jpg
hahahahahahahaha

List 'em.

Your score is going to expire soonish though.
community service: scribed for dermatologist: 450 hours
global heath volunteer for reputable organization: 2000 hours
shadowing and helping my pediatrician: 1500 hours
Dean's recognition at a mid UC: The valedictorian even mentioned me in her speech!
Research: supplying clean water in Appalachia: 157 hours
Toys for Tots: 47 hours.
Community service: Clean our community 33 hours
Employment: English tutor 1000 hours; bartender, 350 hours.

Thethirteenthyear.jpg
I'm used to being bullied. That isn't even bothering me. I was never told about my Native American heritage. Do you find that funny?

Could go DO with your original scores. Unfortunately they're all so old now you couldn't even apply.
Really? I always thought that would be my nuclear option! I guess you are right. I took them in 2014...

I'm used to being bullied. That isn't even bothering me. I was never told about my Native American heritage. Do you find that funny?

Not at all, and I'm not trying to bully, just showing some lighthearted humor lol. And I think that moving forward if you do decide to reapply don't blame you failures on others and critically look at your app and think about where you can fix things. This site can be a wealth of info for you if you take the time to actually ask instead of rant, or it can turn on you in a heartbeat.

Not at all, and I'm not trying to bully, just showing some lighthearted humor lol. And I think that moving forward if you do decide to reapply don't blame you failures on others and critically look at your app and think about where you can fix things. This site can be a wealth of info for you if you take the time to actually ask instead of rant, or it can turn on you in a heartbeat.
Just imagine how it feels to be the brunt of "lighthearted humor" for your entire life. Even now, when all I want is to be a doctor so I can help others I continue to be the brunt of jokes. That's fine. Go ahead, I can take it.

your joke honestly made me LOL.

That's what I'm here for. I take this holiday very seriously as I was a hilarious April Fool's day joke between my parents. Funny story, my Bday is tomorrow and on April 1st my mom pranked my dad saying that she was going into labor on the 1st. He was overseas in Korea (army) at the time and burst into tears crying about it and my mom was like April Fools and he was pissed. She then went into labor with me 6 hours later and he didn't believe it and wouldn't pick up the phone until I was actually born the next day.

Reactions: 5 users
Just imagine how it feels to be the brunt of "lighthearted humor" for your entire life. Even now, when all I want is to be a doctor so I can help others I continue to be the brunt of jokes. That's fine. Go ahead, I can take it.

You do realize that everyone is always the brunt of a joke all the time. This experience is not unique to just you. It's a choice to either laugh, or always be outraged. I bet if you made a funny joke right now people on here would join in on that too.

community service: scribed for dermatologist: 450 hours
global heath volunteer for reputable organization: 2000 hours
shadowing and helping my pediatrician: 1500 hours
Dean's recognition at a mid UC: The valedictorian even mentioned me in her speech!
Research: supplying clean water in Appalachia: 157 hours
Toys for Tots: 47 hours.
Community service: Clean our community 33 hours
Employment: English tutor 1000 hours; bartender, 350 hours.

Scribing isn't service (in the strictest sense), shadowing 1500 hours is excessive, community service is very minimal and should be increased (80 hours is very below average), global health work still doesn't have a good reputation apparently, etc. etc.

Also, your MCAT scores are about to expire this year, so it's either a Hail Mary DO application or a re-take would be required for MD applications next year.

Scribing isn't service (in the strictest sense), shadowing 1500 hours is excessive, community service is very minimal and should be increased (80 hours is very below average), global health work still doesn't have a good reputation apparently, etc. etc.

Also, your MCAT scores are about to expire this year, so it's either a Hail Mary DO application or a re-take would be required for MD applications next year.
But don't you think I should have gotten in somewhere by now.
Is this really fair?

you throw this word around a lot. fair? sure, they didn't like your application. that's fair.
If I lived anywhere else but here and had all the advantages other applicants have had since birth, I would be a third year medical student now instead of being a couch surfing loser. Yes, you are absolutely right.

If I lived anywhere else but here and had all the advantages other applicants have had since birth

No, you just picked the wrong schools to apply to (multiple times), got a couple of bad MCAT scores, and didn't build your ECs as well as you could have. There's plenty of places that do not have great chances of IS schools and applicants are able to find a way around it. You also won't entertain the idea of a DO school for whatever reason, which is naive.

The process isn't fair, it's competitive.

If I lived anywhere else but here and had all the advantages other applicants have had since birth....

You like too many other characters in Game of Thrones think that relying on the advantages and moaning about the disadvantages of what house they were born in have a significant outcome on their fate. Unsurprisingly those characters have died early on. You need to think like Khaleesi and show up next year with three dragons.

images

No, you just picked the wrong schools to apply to (multiple times), got a couple of bad MCAT scores, and didn't build your ECs as well as you could have. There's plenty of places that do not have great chances of IS schools and applicants are able to find a way around it. You also won't entertain the idea of a DO school for whatever reason, which is naive.

The process isn't fair, it's competitive.
But they are always talking about holistic review.
That's the hypocrisy!
Now I'll have submit to another wasted year studying stuff that has nothing to do do with the practice of medicine just to appease them. Where's the justice in that?
I could have been helping people by now.
How did this monopoly get started?

But they are always talking about holistic review.

Yes, and your application was holistically poor. Sorry dude. Using this thread as a procrastination device is going to bite my in the butt soon...
Advice I should have taken earlier: :troll:

You like too many other characters in Game of Thrones think that relying on the advantages and moaning about the disadvantages of what house they were born in have a significant outcome on their fate. Unsurprisingly those characters have died early on. You need to think like Khaleesi and show up next year with three dragons.

images
I thought my relentless re-application would show my commitment...
I am one of a kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.