Unfilled positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I matched, but I saw that there are a ton! of unfilled positions in rads. I am wondering, if when we find out on Friday we are not happy where we matched, can we transfer to a different program or ask for a waiver or something of the sort?

Members don't see this ad.

So I matched, but I saw that there are a ton! of unfilled positions in rads. I am wondering, if when we find out on Friday we are not happy where we matched, can we transfer to a different program or ask for a waiver or something of the sort?

First, congratulations on matching!
Second, Match results are binding. While you could petition the NRMP for a waiver, "I don't like the program that I matched to, even though it was on my rank order list" isn't going to be a good enough reason for them to grant a waiver.
Third, since you matched, you aren't eligible to participate in SOAP. In all likelihood those open spots will be long gone by Friday.

I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of where you matched.

First, congratulations on matching!
Second, Match results are binding. While you could petition the NRMP for a waiver, "I don't like the program that I matched to, even though it was on my rank order list" isn't going to be a good enough reason for them to grant a waiver.
Third, since you matched, you aren't eligible to participate in SOAP. In all likelihood those open spots will be long gone by Friday.

I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of where you matched.

Thanks! :) I do feel relieved for sure! However even though I applied for rads and matched, there were a ton of unfilled programs, and in the event that a better program than what I matched at is unfilled, I was just curious whether I could apply or not. Yes, I'm only eligible for SOAP for prelims (I guess NRMP did not realize that I don't need a prelim since I've done one already) but yes I do not have access to the list of programs otherwise. However, programs are posting positions on Residentswap.

The match decision is binding
U cant do anything about it. U can try and then get blacklisted by NRMP

No, can't do what you're asking. That's what it's called a Match. How would you feel if a program tried to sever their relationship with you by claiming they found a better candidate in the scramble?

Tons of programs went unmatched? Then why is Radiology competitive?

Tons of programs went unmatched? Then why is Radiology competitive?

You think rads is not competitive? Ok, you are entitled to your opinion I guess. There was a well known decrease in applicants this year, anywhere to 10-20% or so, so potentially 200 less applicants or so. Less applicants, PD's not interviewing more people/interviewing same set of people = unmatched spots. Like with everything, it's cyclical.