Unfilled Programs - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJspreadsheet

inside the box
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to list which programs didn't fill this year? I'm assuming it's OK to do so now that SOAP is over?

Members don't see this ad.

This should be fair game now, but we will have to hear some someone who didn't match. I don't think anyone else would know and I understand if people don't want to want to share. It can be a very strange process. I have seen very good progams not fill, and sometimes people get places they would normally have no shot at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some of them. I'm just not sure of the ethics behind posting the list. Mods ? What's your advice?

Give it time... the thing tends to leak by word of mouth. As a former scrambler I enjoy seeing the list every year to play the hypothetical "what random place would I have ended up in if I scrambled this year instead of x years ago" game.

Reactions: 1 user
Cant post specifics, but if your going for psychiatry only then your out of luck because nothing is available.

Is years past this has shown up shortly after the match. I think it was released by NRMP. Im curious to see it as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The data is already available. Log onto NRMP for it. Problem is it lists everything by state and program, not by specialty. So you have to scour through the lists to find the unfilled psych spots. If anyone wants to do this, that'd be awesome. I certainly don't. But you're now undoubtedly permitted to spill the beans on what you know.

The only one I noticed not filling, upon quick perusal, was University of Utah.

The data is already available. Log onto NRMP for it. Problem is it lists everything by state and program, not by specialty. So you have to scour through the lists to find the unfilled psych spots. If anyone wants to do this, that'd be awesome. I certainly don't. But you're now undoubtedly permitted to spill the beans on what you know.

The only one I noticed not filling, upon quick perusal, was University of Utah.

That's funny. It's my state program (where I'm from and currently live) and the only place to reject me at the very beginning of the cycle.

That's funny. It's my state program (where I'm from and currently live) and the only place to reject me at the very beginning of the cycle.

They also gave me a quick boot. Won't deny I released a smirk of satisfaction when I saw them one short.

I tried, but my eyes started to glaze over....

ones I noted: Howard Univ, Medical College of George, Univ. of South Dakota, Univ. of Tennessee

San Mateo (only filled one of their four spots)
Howard
Med Col Georgia (filled 2 of 6 spots)
Michigan State
Creighton (I think this is a PGY2 spot)
Icahn SOM Mount Sinai (PGY2 I believe)
Nassau University (not categorical)
Stony Brook (non-categorical)
East Carolina (med-psych)
Wake Forest (non-categorical)
OU-Tulsa
OHSU (non-categorical)
South Dakota (2 spots open)
University of Tennessee
Baylor (non-categorical)
UT San Antonio (non-categorical)
UT Houston (non-categorical)
Utah
WVU (international track?)

What happened to San Mateo? No shock regarding both houston psych programs as they've been headed the wrong direction.

No kidding. I'm betting the dude who came here bashing the program (to shy others away) is the one who matched. It's just unfortunate that if the program ever saw it and put 2 and 2 together that they outed themself.

San Mateo (only filled one of their four spots)
Howard
Med Col Georgia (filled 2 of 6 spots)
Michigan State
Creighton (I think this is a PGY2 spot)
Icahn SOM Mount Sinai (PGY2 I believe)
Nassau University (not categorical)
Stony Brook (non-categorical)
East Carolina (med-psych)
Wake Forest (non-categorical)
OU-Tulsa
OHSU (non-categorical)
South Dakota (2 spots open)
University of Tennessee
Baylor (non-categorical)
UT San Antonio (non-categorical)
UT Houston (non-categorical)
Utah
WVU (international track?)

Just noting that OHSU's spot was for a PGY2, and the program just got approval for the position shortly before the match, meaning that going through SOAP was intentional there.

What happened to San Mateo? No shock regarding both houston psych programs as they've been headed the wrong direction.

Alan Louie who was the PD and phenomenal, was recruited to Stanford to be vice chair of education in the psych department.

Alan Louie who was the PD and phenomenal, was recruited to Stanford to be vice chair of education in the psych department.

Does this mean they'll start taking call?

Does this mean they'll start taking call?

Haha no idea. But their new PD is quite young. Not sure what the deal is. with such a poor match, maybe someone who interviewed there can give us some insight

Haha no idea. But their new PD is quite young. Not sure what the deal is. with such a poor match, maybe someone who interviewed there can give us some insight

Honestly, I'm shocked and quite sad that San Mateo didn't fill. :( They were fairly high up on my rank list (third out of eleven!), and I actually really liked them. In fact, if I hadn't gotten a last minute interview from #2 on my list, and if I hadn't had such random personal reasons for my #1, then I guess I would've ended up there.

My guess is that perhaps they branched out too much in the kinds of people they invited to interview? I was really surprised they interviewed me. They didn't know I had strong personal reasons to want to be in that area, and on paper I look like the type of person who would be dismissive of such a tiny program.

I really hope this doesn't reflect too badly on them in the future. I think they really are a great program, their residents seemed happy and well trained, and I loved all the faculty I met. Yes, the PD is new, but I think you get solid training, you have lots of free time to pursue outside projects (or have kids), and Community Psychiatry is a bunch of fun and it's a shame more people aren't more familiar with what it is.

I need to go write a review for my interview now.

I'm glad OHSU did actually fill their PGY-1 spots. Another program I really, really liked that was higher on my list than others might have expected.

I really liked MCG during my interview...surprising.

U Houston and Baylor surprising to me. But Houston I hear was downsizing size and so I wonder if it reflects a glitch in reporting avail spots.

I'm pretty sure that all of these open "non-categorical" spots are actually Reserved for PGY2+ spots and/or people with at least some prior training. If you look at the list, C=categorical, A=Advanced, R=Reserved.

Also, I think both Yale and U Wash had R spots open, if that gives you some indication.

Last edited:
I really liked MCG during my interview...surprising.

U Houston and Baylor surprising to me.

I'm pretty sure that all of these open "non-categorical" spots are actually Reserved for PGY2+ spots and/or people with at least some prior training. If you look at the list, C=categorical, A=Advanced, R=Reserved.

Also, I think both Yale and U Wash had R spots open, if that gives you some indication.

I think this is the correct interpretation, based on the list and my interview days at Baylor and Houston (where they mentioned they had PGY2 spots). All PGY1 spots (the C spots) filled for both programs. Baylor filled 1/2 R spots, and Houston 0/2.

I don't know anything about the MCG program, but I remember Augusta fondly from living there. I considered applying there just because I still have close friends in the "beautiful CSRA".

I am very shocked that San Mateo had problems filling. It is a top community psych program! Wow.

When I say non-categorical that means PGY2.

I'm sorry I don't understand the terminology. Can someone explain what C, A and R mean? I understand the difference between categorical and prelim (for say, surgery). Does categorical mean the same thing here?

I'm sorry I don't understand the terminology. Can someone explain what C, A and R mean? I understand the difference between categorical and prelim (for say, surgery). Does categorical mean the same thing here?

Categorical just means a four year program. A program looking for a PGY2 would not be categorical, neither would a psych/FM, IM/psych, psych/neuro or triple board. Combined child program would also not be categorical. In the above, I used non categorical to specify PGY2. If it was something else it was noted as such.

Categorical just means a four year program. A program looking for a PGY2 would not be categorical, neither would a psych/FM, IM/psych, psych/neuro or triple board. Combined child program would also not be categorical. In the above, I used non categorical to specify PGY2. If it was something else it was noted as such.

no categorical means a program that starts as a PGY1 it has nothing to do with how long it is or whether combined or not
advanced is a program you apply to as a med student etc for the year after your internship
R (physician) is those you apply to as a PGY-2 the same year for those who already have done a bit of something else (at least an intern year)

no categorical means a program that starts as a PGY1 it has nothing to do with how long it is or whether combined or not
advanced is a program you apply to as a med student etc for the year after your internship
R (physician) is those you apply to as a PGY-2 the same year for those who already have done a bit of something else (at least an intern year)

I'm specifically talking about psych here. There isn't a single four year program that isn't categorical, and vice versa. Four year program implies you start PGY1. Unless you mean to say that combined programs that start as PGY1 are also considered categorical. But in any case this is neither here nor there. Every program listed as non categorical is specifically that -- non categorical -- and you enter as a PGY2.

If all those non -categoricals are PGY2s that means only 12 traditional psych spots didnt fill in the match. Thatd be impressive.

If all those non -categoricals are PGY2s that means only 12 traditional psych spots didnt fill in the match. Thatd be impressive.

There were 30. Some programs had multiple spots open, for instance three spots at San Mateo. There were a couple others that had more than one spot but I didn't type it everytime because I'm doing it from my phone. If anyone has any specific questions I can look back at the list.

I'd like to know too. I hear it's a relaxed program at San Mateo, and call is very light. When I think of top community psych programs, I think of Johns Hopkins Bayview and UCLA-Harbor, both of which should be considered among the top 25 psych programs.

I'd like to know too. I hear it's a relaxed program at San Mateo, and call is very light. When I think of top community psych programs, I think of Johns Hopkins Bayview and UCLA-Harbor, both of which should be considered among the top 25 psych programs.

bayview doesn't have a psych residency program, and community psychiatry is probably one of the weaker elements of hopkins otherwise pretty solid clinical and research provision in pretty much every area of psychiatry.