Quantcast

Unfilled RadOnc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neo87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure, but I will say that it seems that a lot of programs "overshoot" the quality of applicant they interview. If an average program only interviews top people, and all those people match at top programs, that average program is screwed.

napoleondynamite

Keepin' it real yo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The real answer seems to boil down to secretarial ineptness. No joke, it seems like year after year there are at least 1-2 programs who "forget" to pull out of the match. When there are so few spots to begin with, it only takes a couple of phantom spots like that to make it appear that there a consistently unfilled spots.

I also agree with the above poster..it seems the many of the other unfilled spots occur because of a little bit of snobbiness in interviewee selection. Every program tends to feel like this is such a competitive specialty that they will attract the cream of the crop of the applicant pool, which results in a large number of programs all interviewing the same 20 people.

thesauce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right. Most of the time these aren't real spots. A good friend of mine scrambled (successfully) several years ago and the list included ~5 spots, only 1 of which was truly being offered through the match.

rad0nc

Reaction score
Right. Most of the time these aren't real spots. A good friend of mine scrambled (successfully) several years ago and the list included ~5 spots, only 1 of which was truly being offered through the match.

Now that it is no longer illegal to talk about the SOAP programs, can anyone confirm where the unfilled program was?

johnbeck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a good friend who tried to scramble into that spot. Come to find out, it wasn't a real spot. That spot was never really available in the match. It should not have been included.