Unic Of Souther Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gvsk

pharMAFIA!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I am an Indian bpharm final yr student and got admitted into USN 3 yr pharm D program. I attended interview in Jan and got my admission mail in Jan ending,

I was asked to take up an English and speech pre req which my bpharm course work didn’t cover in my curriculum. I was told to do it in the US this summer before I enroll into the program on aug 22 2007

The pre req is

English composition I (fresh man level) - 3 semester hrs or 3 quarter hrs

Speech (3 semester hrs or 3 quarter hrs)

pls I hav to find communiy colgs which offer this course in quarter hrs this summer so that I can complete it in the summer period itself...
I preferably need to find community colleges that offer this course in Miami or NJ NY area,

I hav tried all I can here searching ion the web and asking consultants here but to no avail... this community is my only go..
please help me and I don’t want to lose my admission in to a 3 yr pharm D program just bcos of a small pre req missing...

Thanking you,
Yours Sincerely,
Sai Krishna Gangavalli.

Members don't see this ad.

Just about every community college will offer freshman english and speech during the summer. Summer schedules are not yet posted. You should be able to take freshman english online. I've also seen public speaking offered online, using a web cam.

Pick out a school close to where you will be staying, go to their website, and check it out.

Ya but they are all semester hours. I'm not really sure why you specifically need quarter hours? I've never seen a CC using the quarter system.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to try Universities on the quarter system. You can usually take summer classes through their extension program. At least that's how it works at UCSD in San Diego.

Hey all I am an Indian bpharm final yr student and got admitted into USN 3 yr pharm D program. I attended interview in Jan and got my admission mail in Jan ending,

I was asked to take up an English and speech pre req which my bpharm course work didn’t cover in my curriculum. I was told to do it in the US this summer before I enroll into the program on aug 22 2007

The pre req is

pls I hav to find communiy colgs which offer this course in quarter hrs this summer so that I can complete it in the summer period itself...
I preferably need to find community colleges that offer this course in Miami or NJ NY area,

I hav tried all I can here searching ion the web and asking consultants here but to no avail... this community is my only go..
please help me and I don’t want to lose my admission in to a 3 yr pharm D program just bcos of a small pre req missing...

Thanking you,
Yours Sincerely,
Sai Krishna Gangavalli.

Moved to prepharmacy since this is essentially a prereq question. Besides prepharm students will be more acquainted with when summer schedules come out at the CC and 4-yr colleges and should therefore be a little more helpful with this issue.

Having said that, I know summer schedules here (California) typically come out just after spring break. That means in the next 2-3 weeks. I do also like the idea of checking the 4-year institutions. They generally have shorter summer periods anyway. I know at California State University-San Bernardino that they don't place all the application requirements on summer courses. It should make them easier to register for if that's universal.

The pre req is

Thanking you,
Yours Sincerely,
Sai Krishna Gangavalli.

Hi, Are u the tall, thin indian guy who was earning his bachelors this June in India and science GPA was 4.0? U had your interview on Jan. 20th?;)

if you decide to do the distance education route this might be an option:

https://selfservice.weber.edu/pls/proddad/bwckschd.p_disp_dyn_sched

you could take english 1010 online or independent study and comm 1020 online

Two issues I'd think about if I were in your shoes. One issue is USN needs your official transcript by August 11th. As the classes listed above end around August 3rd, you'd probably make it but it'd be close. The other issue is freshman composition classes often require a writing/reading placement test score(i.e., ACT, SAT, Accuplacer,etc.) that is sufficiently high, otherwise you'll have to take a prep course before you may be able to take freshman composition.

Best wishes to you.

Congrats on your acceptance into USN. I am going to USN this fall and have to take english comp I over the summer as well.

I think you might be confused on needing to take quarter hours, as your reason was you need to finish the course by the end of the summer. Most community colleges are by the semester hours system and have summer courses. English comp I and speech in the semester hour system are usually 5 week courses, such as May 29 - June 28. So, if you take your classes in a semester hour system, you will still complete your courses in time. Also, pretty much all community colleges offer english comp I and speech so I doubt you will have a problem finding a college.

Your best bet would be to call the community college themselves and ask them what they offer for summer school. I'm not familiar with the miami or NJ/NY area though. Here is the number for Miami Dade College for general student information: (305)-237-8888.

Here is Mercer County Community College, located in Trenton, NJ:
http://www.mccc.edu/
Here is a link to their course search engine:
https://emercerprod.mccc.edu/FCCSC/navigate/student.jsp

I typed in ENG101 (English Composition I) and got a lot of open courses which had dates of 5/21/07-6/27/07 or 7/05/07-8/09/07

Their Public Speaking course is CMN112 and they have 4 courses open with the same dates as the ENG101 courses. You could probably take both of them at the same time and be done on 6/27/07, in time for USN matriculation.

Just google for community colleges in the area you are looking for and call them up and talk to an advisor.

hey ya'll apart from being asked to take eng and speech course i was asked to take calculus I too recently bY USN

i hav done calculus and the reqd course they asked for in my high school but donno if i will get a college credit for that.

the college needs 4 credtis of calculus one which i hav to take in the summer, i have found out abt community college that offers the course of eng speech and calculus but donnno if time is sufficient...

i really need to know if time is sufficient to do Eng comp I , speech and Calculus I in the summer

this is the course list i have found so far at Dutchess COmmunity colg

This class satisfies the English composition requirement:

ENG 101. Composition I 3 Credits

English 101 addresses the major principles of college writing, which are meant to serve students in all the disciplines across the curriculum. The course concentrates primarily on expository and argumentative writing; traditional rhetorical modes; and effective composing, revising, and editing strategies. English 101 covers MLA conventions, and a research paper is required. Critical thinking and reading skills are also stressed.
Prerequisite: Satisfactory scores in English proficiency tests, completion of ENG 091 or 095 with a grade of A, or completion of ENG 092 or 096 with a grade of C or C or better.

This class satisfies the speech requirement:

SPE 101. Public Speaking 3 Credits

This course is devoted to the study of oral communication as it relates to the speaker, her/his purpose, subject, outline, presentational aids, delivery, and audience. The first part of the course emphasizes the theory of public speaking, while the latter part is concerned with the analysis, preparation, and performance in the areas of informative, demonstrative, persuasive, and occasional speaking.

You will also need to complete a Calculus I class. This class satisfies this prerequisite:

MAT 221. Analytic Geometry And Calculus I 4 Credits

This course is the first of a three semester sequence developing calculus for the student majoring in engineering, mathematics, or the sciences. Topics include the derivative, limits, continuity, differentiability, the definite integral, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, techniques of differentiation (including for transcendental functions), applications of differentiation, mathematical modeling and computer applications. A graphing calculator from the TI-83/84 family of calculators is required for this course.
Prerequisite: Four units of high school academic math with grades of 85 or better or MAT 115 with a grade of C or better or permission of the department.

Please do help me out

my email address is [email protected]

I have to finish up my speech course online and take ochem 2 and A&P 2 over the summer. So I'm sure you can finish speech, english comp, and calc 1 over the summer. You can take speech and comp online and maybe even calculus. I'm taking speech at Indiana University as a distance education course and they offer you the option to do everything online. Here's the number in case you want to look into something like that: 800-334-1011. The cost for two courses was ~$950 (in-state/out of state makes no difference). Good luck! I'm sure you'll have no problem finishing up.

Hey Piyi

Please check with your office.. if they accept online prereqs.... cos my USN office didnt accept online for eng and speech

and in regard to earliner reply by Celinati yes i am the same guy u were talkin abt

i was interviewed in last January and still not accepted is there anyone like me?

i was interviewed in last January and still not accepted is there anyone like me?

I interviewed January 20th but I am not worried about getting accepted. hang in there. There are plenty of spots for the rest of us. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey RXP RXCRYSTAL, did both of u apply for USN..
i had my interview on jan 20th saturday.. flew in from MIA

I had my interview with Dr Welder, Mr Zadrozny and Mr Bozeat

You're talking about 2 easy classes + 1 hard class. If you managed to get good enough grades to get into USN, you can handle that, even in an accelerated summer session. If scheduling is a problem at the colleges in the areas that you prefer, there are probably about a million community colleges elsewhere in the country that have what you need.

thanx,,, i will become a lot more stable abt my pre reqs if i find out abt the colgs that have this course in the summer..... so that i can take it befor i enroll i don wanna lose a yr on such a small pre req..

i also wanna know if the summer period is enough to complete it

hey RXP RXCRYSTAL, did both of u apply for USN..
i had my interview on jan 20th saturday.. flew in from MIA

I had my interview with Dr Welder, Mr Zadrozny and Mr Bozeat

Ya I interviewed that same day with Dr Hecht, Ms Levell and some other guy. It went really well.

what campus wopuld you like me to prefer for henderson or utah. i mean which is a better insituitiion and campus...

also did u get u I20 yet and did u send ur acceptance form...

I am goin to send my acceptance form in a week,, will it be a problem if i send it a bit later as i havent read all the details of my I20 untill now as i was busy with my exams going on

what campus wopuld you like me to prefer for henderson or utah. i mean which is a better insituitiion and campus...

I believe both campuses are very similar. The Utah campus is just one building in complex of new buildings, not far from a mall and lots of growth including residential areas,(a new soccer stadium that is being built in the are also). The Utah campus is close to Salt Lake Community College that will have all the classes that you need, (probably not on-line though in the summer). The summer semester runs about 5-9 to 8-7 I think. You could check there web-site. www.slcc.edu

So as to which campus I think it is really a decision as the area you would like to live, Las Vegas or Salt Lake City, me SLC all the way.

Good Luck

what wud be better.. whcih campuses facilities are better .. henderson or utah.. can i change campuses in like p2 etc or is that not a possibilitty

I have found out one colg that has calculus and eng and speech at the same time but gets over on aug 9th and wont have enough time to get the transcripts to usn as on aug 11th...

so please any one has any ideas of where to apply to do my calclus I , eng comp and speech please do let me know and also the requirements for that course

hey gvsk,

there's a community college (north campus) around buffalo, ny which may provide you with the courses you need during the first summer session which runs from may 21 - june 28. rents for apartments are pretty cheap here... and suny buffalo students may be looking to sublet their apts. for the summer in order to go home. the only problem is, most people have cars here, so getting to and from school may be a bit more of a pain with public transit on a bus. check out the links below and pm me if you want some ideas on how you can swing this.

here's the academic calendar for the school:
http://www.ecc.edu/studentlife/academiccalendar.asp

here's the course schedule for the summer at the school:
http://www.ecc.edu/studentlife/files/summer07.pdf

they have public speaking 3cr, college composition 3cr, and calc 1 4cr.

i've taken some of my prereqs at this cc, and between this place and the university at buffalo fulfilled all of them. was informed last week that i was accepted into usn, though i still have to decide on where i want to go.

good luck!

thanks JC are u sure that all 3 courses r give in the period u hav provided me with.. i have pobserved that eng and speecn hav diff timing bu the speech course coincides with the calculus course

make sure you look under the north campus under each subject heading. there are 3 campuses for this cc. also the calc class is calc with analytical geometry instead of the survey course. may be a little harder, but you should do fine if you took it in high school as most university level calc has analytical geometry in it too.

61799 EN110 01 COLLEGE COMPOSITION 3.00 K 229 LEC MTTH 08:00AM 10:25AM Denio,David
61818 EN410 01 PUBLIC SPEAKING 3.00 K 227 LEC MTTH 10:45AM 01:10PM Fusani,David
61895 MT181 51 CALC & ANALYT I 4.00 K 162 LEC MTTH 06:00PM 09:15PM Staff,

hey i did find a communtu colg near my relatives place in NY state...

although iut gets oger late aug 9th .. i shud be 99% able to send the transcript to usn before orientation day aug22nd...

the colg registrar said that i will be getting my transcript for the pre reqs no later than aug 15 so that i week time shud be sufficient to send my transcripts

i hav found the courses at Dutchess community college

thanks guys.. i am still lookin at places where i can get in,,, so if u hav any ideas of community colleges please do post here

hey ya'll apart from being asked to take eng and speech course i was asked to take calculus I too recently bY USN

i hav done calculus and the reqd course they asked for in my high school but donno if i will get a college credit for that.

the college needs 4 credtis of calculus one which i hav to take in the summer, i have found out abt community college that offers the course of eng speech and calculus but donnno if time is sufficient...

i really need to know if time is sufficient to do Eng comp I , speech and Calculus I in the summer

this is the course list i have found so far at Dutchess COmmunity colg

This class satisfies the English composition requirement:

ENG 101. Composition I 3 Credits

English 101 addresses the major principles of college writing, which are meant to serve students in all the disciplines across the curriculum. The course concentrates primarily on expository and argumentative writing; traditional rhetorical modes; and effective composing, revising, and editing strategies. English 101 covers MLA conventions, and a research paper is required. Critical thinking and reading skills are also stressed.
Prerequisite: Satisfactory scores in English proficiency tests, completion of ENG 091 or 095 with a grade of A, or completion of ENG 092 or 096 with a grade of C or C or better.

This class satisfies the speech requirement:

SPE 101. Public Speaking 3 Credits

This course is devoted to the study of oral communication as it relates to the speaker, her/his purpose, subject, outline, presentational aids, delivery, and audience. The first part of the course emphasizes the theory of public speaking, while the latter part is concerned with the analysis, preparation, and performance in the areas of informative, demonstrative, persuasive, and occasional speaking.

You will also need to complete a Calculus I class. This class satisfies this prerequisite:

MAT 221. Analytic Geometry And Calculus I 4 Credits

This course is the first of a three semester sequence developing calculus for the student majoring in engineering, mathematics, or the sciences. Topics include the derivative, limits, continuity, differentiability, the definite integral, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, techniques of differentiation (including for transcendental functions), applications of differentiation, mathematical modeling and computer applications. A graphing calculator from the TI-83/84 family of calculators is required for this course.
Prerequisite: Four units of high school academic math with grades of 85 or better or MAT 115 with a grade of C or better or permission of the department.

Please do help me out

my email address is [email protected]

he all thanx with the help on the pre req. i initially found all pre reqs at Sunydutchess in NY but now i got a the 3 courses at corvallis oregon near OSU where i can take Eng composition , speech and calc I in a period of 5 weeks and the linn benton college people waived my pre reqs for those courses as i am not pursuing any degree at that college