Unique Misdemeanor Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDRB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. First time poster here. So my situation is this:

This is my second time applying.

My stats are:
BCPM GPA 3.25 (2.5 my sophomore year brings me down)
AO GPA 3.61
Overall GPA 3.47
MCAT 33 O (10/13/10)

I am a nontraditional student with psychology research experience, plenty of community volunteering and shadowing, and an overseas medical trip under my belt.

I currently work in healthcare as a tech and I bartend on the weekends. I have always had 1, if not 2 service industry jobs throughout college and postbac to support myself.

I have received 3 alcohol misdemeanors throughout my years. 2 (Minor in consumption of alcohol) are from 7 years ago, and 1 was a completely unjustified public intoxication from 5 years ago (I was walking 5 blocks home after having only a few drinks). These tickets may represent who I was at one time, but not who I am now.

Last year I was honest and included all of these on my applications. Afterwards, I ran a background check on myself through the service provided by AMCAS and discovered only 1 of these citations on my record. I applied to over 15 schools, in-state and out, and was invited to only 1 interview (a top 25 school nonetheless). I'm not sure if the lack of response was my record or the fact that I applied late in the game.

So my question is this: Do I include all of these misdemeanors on my applications again even though only 1 appears on my background check? I know the tickets look bad on my record, but do they look so bad that they will keep me out of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you do. Better to take it on the chin than have the med schools find out and accuse you of fraud, and then dismiss you. We do realize that the you of then is not the you of now.

When in doubt, consult a lawyer.

Your sGPA is significantly below avg, so that might be hurting you more than the misdemeanors. Also, suggest never saying that any of those tickets were "unjustified." You were drunk, period. We've rejected people who have that type of attitude. Always own your mistakes.

And apply nice and early this time, and don't aim so high. Go for low-middle tier schools, and your state schools, if any.

So my question is this: Do I include all of these misdemeanors on my applications again even though only 1 appears on my background check? I know the tickets look bad on my record, but do they look so bad that they will keep me out of med school?[/QUOTE]

Run a background check with Certephi if they are able to pull up the 2 previous misdemeanors then obviously report it. If not I would NOT report it.
The Certephi background check might cost you $100 bucks but it will save you SO MUCH.