USMLE unique position, advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkrish3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
greetings Doctors,

I have a very particular question:

i took step 1 (214) in 2009, step 2 ck/cs (244) in 2012 and graduated in 2013. i applied in 2015 for med/pscyh, so that year was a waste.

applied the year after, had a few psych/internal/family interviews, but i dont think i ranked appropriately.

i now would like to apply again for 2019 and plan on taking the step 3 before that. my question is, it's been so long between my step 1 so i know that according to FSMB that many states may not allow my step 1 score (its been over 7 years).

Is it even worth it for me at this point to take step 3 and apply? there's only a handful of states that don't have the 7 year requirement.
the only thing that keeps me going and motivates me is my step scores are decent, im an american citizen, and i interview well/have good references.

but i dont want to waste all the time and effort studying for step 3 and applying, only to be let down.

So i ask, is it worth the gamble applying for residency next year??

thank you all kindly,

madhan

Members don't see this ad.

There are too many variables here for anyone to prognosticate with any sort of accuracy, but:

1) As far as I know, if you get into a residency program and complete an adequate amount of post-graduate training, there's nothing stopping you from applying to a license in any state. For example, Connecticut has no time limit, and they require 2 years of post-grad training. So even if you get into a residency in say, New Mexico, I imagine that you could get a Connecticut state license after two years as long as you're willing to pay the fees. Then, since you're licensed in one state, you should be able to get a license in any other state (as long as you're willing to pay the fees). Of course, I could be completely and utterly incorrect here, and I hope someone corrects me if I am.

2) Many states will waive the 7 year rule if you have legitimate reasons. Most often this is employed for MD-PhD grads, and requires a letter of support/justification from either your PD, med school dean, or both (or whatever). In your case, I would think that "I pursued other interests after graduation before starting residency" might be considered a legitimate reason by state medical boards. However, this is extraordinarily fluid, and could really only be answered appropriately by the people on the board.

This is speculation based on what I've read (I'm an MD-PhD, hence my interest) but I have no personal experience with this or know anyone who has, so maybe someone lurking SDN can chime in with first-hand accounts?

The 7 years rule that exist in some of the states is regarding the full medical licenses only. For residency training all what you need is medical educational limited license, so you should be fine in doing residency anywhere.
If you decide to proceed forward in having a full license after your training in a state that has 7 years rule, then you can ask for exception from the board (if you have exceptional qualifications or extra certifications). Some of the non-ACGME fellowship trainings (that are done before residency) can qualify you for boards. PhD is another feasible option.........would encourage you to do step 3 as soon as your could

thank you both very much for replying. Xander-cruz and Braveheart, do you believe that residency programs in states that have the 7 year requirement would even consider me as an applicant to their residency program? If you were in my shoes would you go ahead and retake the step 1 and 2? Basically this is something I really don't want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
greetings Doctors,

i took step 1 (214) in 2009, step 2 ck/cs (244) in 2012 and graduated in 2013. i applied in 2015 for med/pscyh, so that year was a waste.

applied the year after, had a few psych/internal/family interviews, but i dont think i ranked appropriately.

i now would like to apply again for 2019 and plan on taking the step 3 before that. my question is, it's been so long between my step 1 so i know that according to FSMB that many states may not allow my step 1 score (its been over 7 years).

Is it even worth it for me at this point to take step 3 and apply? there's only a handful of states that don't have the 7 year requirement.
the only thing that keeps me going and motivates me is my step scores are decent, im an american citizen, and i interview well/have good references.

but i dont want to waste all the time and effort studying for step 3 and applying, only to be let down.

thank you all kindly,

madhan

1-as others have said the 7 year is only for full licenses not training ones so you should be fine.
2-I had the same issue and simply asked for a waiver in the state where I'm currently working - it was granted with no issue so I would not let that prevent you from applying to residency if that's what you wany

hi

i took step 1 and 2 in 2013 but i want to take them over (i think the earliest i could take them is 2020?)

if i took step 3 this year, would i be able to retake step 1 and 2?

thanks

Are you joking? No one wants to take step 1 and 2 over. If anything that’s what nightmares are made of. You can’t retake steps unless you fail or you are in a 7 year state. Yes if you take and pass step 3 now unless you fail you won’t be able to take the steps again. Why would u want to retake the steps? That’s crazy

greetings Doctors,

thank you all kindly,

madhan
Hi Madhan
I’m in the same boat except that I’m nearing the 7 year rule for medical licensing. My understanding is that all the above posts are true. You should be okay to do residency anywhere.

i did research saw somewhere most states with rules about 7 yrs have process to get around it.... not easy.... but u don't have to be phd

there is waiver process i think they like to see what the explanation is for being outside 7 yrs
some have other hoops but do-able

someone posted list of states and what they make u do somewhere

worst thing for most part i see for getting waiver some places is retaking steps
some states u must retake all steps even if passed first time, others only ones outside window or didn't pass first time, i think
retaking steps u have passed, have to apply for waiver not sure form who, maybe med school or licensing board helps tell USMLE to give u another permit to retake passed steps for good reason

don't stress too much, take step inside window no matter what if u can pass
if outside window and don't know where u will try to get license i would take or retake and pass anyway asap
alwys good to take steps and get best score as soon as u can even if u have to retake later
PITA but best way to cover most bases

hoipe this helps