Unique Predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDoc2002

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am looking to take the MCAT in August of 2020 but, I am currently in a unique situation. I started college whenever I was 13 years old and currently I am 16. After this semester I will have 79 credit hours worth of courses with a 3.99 GPA. (Got a B in one lab) At the moment, I have taken Biology 1, Biology 2, Gen Chem 1, and Gen Chem 2. However, I do not have any experience in Physics, Organic Chemistry, or Biochemistry. My goal is to get into medical school by the time I am 19, meaning the best option seems to be taking the MCAT next year.

I wanted to find out from the community, what steps you would take if you were in my situation. My target score for the MCAT is around a 515, although I would likely settle for anything higher than a 512. If there is any insight you could offer into how to study for Physics, Organic Chemistry, and Biochemistry that would be extremely helpful. Additionally, please let me know of any books, online resources, or study methods that you think might benefit me on my path.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't take the MCAT without taking those classes. You are leaving yourself far too much to self-study. You are 16 years old. You are not in a rush at all. Just slow down and do things right the first time. You can self-study for 1 or 2 classes required by the MCAT, but 5 is just too many. Especially if you aren't planning on taking sociology and psychology (although most people self-study for those anyway).

Hello Everyone!

I am looking to take the MCAT in August of 2020 but, I am currently in a unique situation. I started college whenever I was 13 years old and currently I am 16. After this semester I will have 79 credit hours worth of courses with a 3.99 GPA. (Got a B in one lab) At the moment, I have taken Biology 1, Biology 2, Gen Chem 1, and Gen Chem 2. However, I do not have any experience in Physics, Organic Chemistry, or Biochemistry. My goal is to get into medical school by the time I am 19, meaning the best option seems to be taking the MCAT next year.

I wanted to find out from the community, what steps you would take if you were in my situation. My target score for the MCAT is around a 515, although I would likely settle for anything higher than a 512. If there is any insight you could offer into how to study for Physics, Organic Chemistry, and Biochemistry that would be extremely helpful. Additionally, please let me know of any books, online resources, or study methods that you think might benefit me on my path.

Thanks!
Slow down on the mcat so you dont have to self-teach so much. Also I really recommend slowing down on your "med school" by 19 goal. Medicine will consume your life once you start and there's never a time when you can just take a break for a few years and easily come back. Join the peace corps, travel, work for a while, or just do something else you enjoy, then come back and start med school when your 22-24

Don't take the MCAT without taking those classes. You are leaving yourself far too much to self-study. You are 16 years old. You are not in a rush at all. Just slow down and do things right the first time. You can self-study for 1 or 2 classes required by the MCAT, but 5 is just too many. Especially if you aren't planning on taking sociology and psychology (although most people self-study for those anyway).

Thanks for your response,

I forgot to mention this above, but I have taken multiple psychology courses along with sociology. Both this semester and next semester are going to be light for me. That's why I thought I would have the time to self-study for Physics, Organic Chemistry, and Biochemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response,

I forgot to mention this above, but I have taken multiple psychology courses along with sociology. Both this semester and next semester are going to be light for me. That's why I thought I would have the time to self-study for Physics, Organic Chemistry, and Biochemistry.
I am sure you are someone who likes to be well prepared. Taking Organic chem, biochem, and physics (at least the first semester, nuclear & classical mechanics & pressure-volume dynamics) is essential to being ready for the MCAT. Many have posted their regrets about taking the test without having done these courses. I have no doubt you will master the material, give yourself the best preparation.

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree with the other posters- physics and organic chemistry, although lightly covered on the MCAT, are still important subjects that are generally considered difficult to self-teach. Biochem is extremely important on the MCAT, taking up a large portion of both the B/B and C/P sections. It's also one of the hardest subjects, so I would definitely recommend learning the content in a classroom setting. They're all premed requirements, so you'll have to take them anyway.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user