Unique Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bootycombustion14

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to get my physiological psychology professor, biochem/clinical chem professor, and research methods in psychology as three science recommendation letters (just in case either physiological psychology or research methods in psychology get rejected as a science). Should I plan to get a physics professor recommendation letter just in case both psych courses get bounced as non-science?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an admissions expert, but my advice would be to also get the physics recommendation. In my experience from applying, some schools are much more stringent about what counts as non-science, and you don't want to be scrambling at the last minute to get another non-science letter. The worst that can happen is you don't use the letter. ***If your school has a committee letter, you might be fine without it. However, there were less than a handful of schools that I applied to that did not accept committee letters and wanted 2-3 non-science. Short answer: I would plan to get it.

Reactions: 1 users
I would plan to get the physics one just in case but send your strongest ones first and then if programs have an issue with it, then they can let you know.

When I applied (12 years ago) I had no problem with programs accepting my cognitive neuroscience professor's LOR as a science LOR. I don't think anybody even mentioned it. The class was in my university's psychology department and had a PSYC course abbreviation.

Also if I were on an admissions committee and someone tried to say either of those courses were not a "science" LOR I would probably call them some not-so-nice names on the spot. In my view, an undergrad behavioral neuroscience/cognitive neuroscience course is pretty much the same as a biology class (except way more interesting). Research methods in psychology in my view is an extension of undergrad stats. These are my views based on taking equivalent courses as an undergrad psych major and then doing a cognitive neuroscience PhD for my MD/PhD.

But I'm also not on an admissions committee. So yeah.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys so much! I will plan to get the physics letter as well. @Fencer is there any additional information I should know about recommendation letter preferences? I am planning to apply to my neuroscience department too so I feel like these would be great letters to have but even if they accept all the psych classes as STEM should I still submit a physics letter because they may view it as a harder science and thus more impressive letter? Or am I being neurotic?