Unique situation. Advice appreciated!!

Started by dentist82
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dentist82

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there,

I'm a foreign trained dentist with bachelors degree in dental surgery from outside the U.S., I came to the U.S. two years ago and now I enlisted in the army reserves as LVN so I can have some time to school (my contract says they wont deploy me for 3 years)

Now, I'm very interested in medicine and considering a career change. I understand that I can't transfer my credit so I have to start over again. But, do I have to have bachelors degree from the U.S. or considering my case coming from strong academic/clinical background, I just have to take the pre-med courses(bio,chem,pys,eng,math) and MCAT then apply without a major or bachelors degree?

I know it's unusal situation but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Hello there,

I'm a foreign trained dentist with bachelors degree in dental surgery from outside the U.S., I came to the U.S. two years ago and now I enlisted in the army reserves as LVN so I can have some time to school (my contract says they wont deploy me for 3 years)

Now, I'm very interested in medicine and considering a career change. I understand that I can't transfer my credit so I have to start over again. But, do I have to have bachelors degree from the U.S. or considering my case coming from strong academic/clinical background, I just have to take the pre-med courses(bio,chem,pys,eng,math) and MCAT then apply without a major or bachelors degree?

I know it's unusal situation but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I would contact the schools that you are interested in to find out. I think the system is really messed up if a dentist has to go back and take undergrad science courses to prove anything. At my state medical/dental school, some of the medical/dental students attend the same classes. I don't know if the foreign part will be the kicker.
 
Thank you for your reply, I can understand if they require me to take sceince courses (pre-med) but to have a bachelors degree (again?) in liberal arts or whatever I may choose is non-scense.