Unique Situation - What are my chances at a Caribbean school?

Started by Raigon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Raigon

This is an emergency.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a 30Q and a 27R (I got sick for a few weeks and I took the MCAT with a pretty high fever the 2nd time) on my MCAT. My GPA is between 3.8 ~ 4.00. I have US citizenship... only thing is - I completed my undergraduate studies outside the United States. With my 27R the second time, even if I was honest and said I got sick, I wouldn't get in a good medical school anyway.

However, the real moneyshot is the fact that I completed college outside the United States. Even if I did get a super high MCAT with good GPA and ECs, I'm bound to be shot down, let alone I only have pretty good ECs, a fair GPA with a very low MCAT. And now I'm thinking, maybe a Caribbean medical school may be good. I'm confident in my test taking abilities as long as I can access materials. Now... I didn't know about SDN before my MCATs, otherwise I would've just ordered a set of Examkrackers or a Kaplan review course. The Caribbean fully prepare you for the USMLE, so I'm pretty sure I can pass. And I seriously don't want to take the MCAT a 3rd time or go for post-bacc.

Now the fact goes to this: What are my chances at one of the big fours? I'm talking St. George, SABA, AUC, or Ross. The only problem I can see is where my degree is from... outside the United States. I have citizenship in the US, but I didn't complete college there (moved to Taiwan when my father was relocated there by his company and I'm to graduate in 2010 from National Taiwan University). Will Caribbean medical schools accept candidates from non-North American universities and STILL allow you to take the USMLE?

That's my biggest concern right now.
 
Don't even consider carib, w/ that GPA and MCAT you should apply to US schools. They take in several canadians every year, I don't see why you would not have a shot.

Also if you were to go to a foreign school then consider Ireland or the Duke program at Singapore. There's a UQ Oschner program at Queensland University as well which is fantastic, 2 years in Australia and 2 years in US. Consider all these other options VERY strongly. Caribbean should be a distant last.
 
I have a 30Q and a 27R (I got sick for a few weeks and I took the MCAT with a pretty high fever the 2nd time) on my MCAT. My GPA is between 3.8 ~ 4.00. I have US citizenship... only thing is - I completed my undergraduate studies outside the United States. With my 27R the second time, even if I was honest and said I got sick, I wouldn't get in a good medical school anyway.

However, the real moneyshot is the fact that I completed college outside the United States. Even if I did get a super high MCAT with good GPA and ECs, I'm bound to be shot down, let alone I only have pretty good ECs, a fair GPA with a very low MCAT. And now I'm thinking, maybe a Caribbean medical school may be good. I'm confident in my test taking abilities as long as I can access materials. Now... I didn't know about SDN before my MCATs, otherwise I would've just ordered a set of Examkrackers or a Kaplan review course. The Caribbean fully prepare you for the USMLE, so I'm pretty sure I can pass. And I seriously don't want to take the MCAT a 3rd time or go for post-bacc.

Now the fact goes to this: What are my chances at one of the big fours? I'm talking St. George, SABA, AUC, or Ross. The only problem I can see is where my degree is from... outside the United States. I have citizenship in the US, but I didn't complete college there (moved to Taiwan when my father was relocated there by his company and I'm to graduate in 2010 from National Taiwan University). Will Caribbean medical schools accept candidates from non-North American universities and STILL allow you to take the USMLE?

That's my biggest concern right now.

Standard issue gear for pre-meds: Self-doubt.

While the 27R may sting a bit you are better off than many applicants to US med schools. Your overseas education may actually help, if adcoms view it as 'life experience'. It is looked on favorably when students do a little studying abroad. As far as the big 4 caribs, you're a shoe-in. The interview will be mere formality and you'll get an acceptance within a month.

But here's my advice to you: Start the app cycle by applying to only US schools (May-October). Then, around the time all of your interviews are over (in the event you get any), then send off your apps to the carib schools. This way, you will have tried to get into US schools, and if you don't make it then you'll be on your way to the caribbean. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a 30Q and a 27R (I got sick for a few weeks and I took the MCAT with a pretty high fever the 2nd time) on my MCAT. My GPA is between 3.8 ~ 4.00. I have US citizenship... only thing is - I completed my undergraduate studies outside the United States. With my 27R the second time, even if I was honest and said I got sick, I wouldn't get in a good medical school anyway.

However, the real moneyshot is the fact that I completed college outside the United States. Even if I did get a super high MCAT with good GPA and ECs, I'm bound to be shot down, let alone I only have pretty good ECs, a fair GPA with a very low MCAT. And now I'm thinking, maybe a Caribbean medical school may be good. I'm confident in my test taking abilities as long as I can access materials. Now... I didn't know about SDN before my MCATs, otherwise I would've just ordered a set of Examkrackers or a Kaplan review course. The Caribbean fully prepare you for the USMLE, so I'm pretty sure I can pass. And I seriously don't want to take the MCAT a 3rd time or go for post-bacc.

Now the fact goes to this: What are my chances at one of the big fours? I'm talking St. George, SABA, AUC, or Ross. The only problem I can see is where my degree is from... outside the United States. I have citizenship in the US, but I didn't complete college there (moved to Taiwan when my father was relocated there by his company and I'm to graduate in 2010 from National Taiwan University). Will Caribbean medical schools accept candidates from non-North American universities and STILL allow you to take the USMLE?

That's my biggest concern right now.

The golden rule is that if you got a 30 or better you should not have repeated the MCAT.
 
Most med schools take people with degrees from outside the US if you do a year in the US after, why not just do that?
 
Apply broadly- MD schools in the US, DO schools, and the big four. It is better to spend money now on applying to too many schools, than to try to save and not get in anywhere.

Good luck!!
 
Don't even consider carib, w/ that GPA and MCAT you should apply to US schools. They take in several canadians every year, I don't see why you would not have a shot.

Also if you were to go to a foreign school then consider Ireland or the Duke program at Singapore. There's a UQ Oschner program at Queensland University as well which is fantastic, 2 years in Australia and 2 years in US. Consider all these other options VERY strongly. Caribbean should be a distant last.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm applying to 17 US schools right now. I'm under review for many of them and some are yet to be completed.

The problem is, I did not complete any undergraduate coureswork in the United States. That's the biggest problem I'm facing. The GPA is calculated by the fact that our school considers 80 or higher to be an A and my grades are currently around or above 80. But most US schools will only accept students who have degrees in the United States or at least 1 year of formal coureswork there. I'm currently betting my application on my strong ECs and international experience. If not, then Australia: Preferrably U Syd, Queensland or Flinders and Caribbean medical schools simultaneously.

Standard issue gear for pre-meds: Self-doubt.

While the 27R may sting a bit you are better off than many applicants to US med schools. Your overseas education may actually help, if adcoms view it as 'life experience'. It is looked on favorably when students do a little studying abroad. As far as the big 4 caribs, you're a shoe-in. The interview will be mere formality and you'll get an acceptance within a month.

But here's my advice to you: Start the app cycle by applying to only US schools (May-October). Then, around the time all of your interviews are over (in the event you get any), then send off your apps to the carib schools. This way, you will have tried to get into US schools, and if you don't make it then you'll be on your way to the caribbean. Good luck.

Again, thanks for the vote of confidence. True, people have said that to me: your international experience will be bonus points. The problem is... again... the strict rule of thumb that international students or US citizens MUST complete at least 1~3 years of formal coureswork in the United States, something that I have not done yet... Unless I'm to take a post-bacc, but I kind of want to get into medical school next year. I don't want to waste time on post-bacc unless both Caribbean and Australia shoots me down.

The golden rule is that if you got a 30 or better you should not have repeated the MCAT.

I didn't know I would get sick on the month of the test. I got the prep books and Audio Osmosis and such. I got sick. And I don't believe in voiding scores. So... thus came my 27R...

Apply broadly- MD schools in the US, DO schools, and the big four. It is better to spend money now on applying to too many schools, than to try to save and not get in anywhere.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the good luck. I'm applying to 17 schools right now. If I don't make it to any of the 17, I'm applying to Caribbean's big 4 and Australia's 3 schools simultaneously. On the off chance I don't make it to either, I'm going for post-bacc and reapply for both MD and DOC. And repeat the cycle. By 2012, if I don't make it to any medical schools, I'm changing careers.
Won't US schools consider the better MCAT score (30) even if the retake was lower?

The problem is I didn't complete my formal undergraduate workload in the United States. I'm screwed for this cycle's application unless one of the three that has accepted foreign credit admits me - Uconn, NYU, or Albany.

The truth is... In Taiwan, we had limited access to MCAT resources and I just used my university general science textbooks to study. I didn't know about SDN at that time. I got a 30Q. I found out about SDN, found out about examkrackers, kaplan, TBR, TPR, etc. Except one problem - I got sick during the month of the exams and I didn't get much study during the final month. I fell. The dip in the MCAT will cost me.

And I want to practice medicine in the US. That's all.
 
Last edited: