Unique transcripts situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuniperTree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to Clinical Psychology PhD graduate schools, emphasis on neuroscience, research heavy schools. Several schools require me to list all post-secondary schools attended, and send official transcripts from each.
I attended Unnamed Seminary after high school. My grades were poor (B/C/D), but I received transfer credit towards my degree. This did not affect my GPA, which is ~3.9. Unnamed Seminary is strongly anti-college, for example, one teacher announced on the first day that anyone who would go to college, wouldn't receive above a 70 in her class, and I received a 70.
How is this likely to affect my applications? How can I minimize any negative effects?

Edit: Several people have suggested that since the transfer credit appears on my college transcript as "TR", and they are for "religious studies" courses rather than secular knowledge, I don't really have to send the transcripts unless they request it. Then, if they do request it, a dean can write me a note explaining that the grades are more reflective of the views of this institution than my competence.

Would this be considered not handing in a "complete" application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need them sent as they are reflected on your other transcript for your degree.

You don't need them sent as they are reflected on your other transcript for your degree.
Thank you. Why else would they write all post-secondary education, though? (I got very conflicting advice IRL so I feel a need to check.)

Members don't see this ad :)

That's good news for me too. I have a billion transcripts from various inka-dink JCs.

Well that's not the information I have gotten. I have to send in multiple transcripts. I have checked this out pretty thouroghly. If anything, I would email/call the specific schools and ask (not mentioning the GPA issue but just what their policy is overall).

Last edited:

In my experience, you should send everything. I got dropped from consideration from a program due to the transcript from a CC where I took one class while in high school not being sent in time.

In my experience, you should send everything. I got dropped from consideration from a program due to the transcript from a CC where I took one class while in high school not being sent in time.

I also had 2 programs contact me for a transcript from a CC where I just took summer classes for transfer credit...I got interviews but it was a drag. On the other hand, they did ask me for them, and I didn't end up having to pay to send them to every single program.

The reason they want all transcripts sent is that some/many grades don't transfer and may not appear on the other school's record. They are wanting your complete record. If you had not transferred some of the classes from Unnamed Seminary you might be able to skip sending the transcript. But since they appear on the other school's record you really have no choice. So I'd just send everything.

I am currently applying to Clinical Psychology PhD graduate schools, emphasis on neuroscience, research heavy schools. Several schools require me to list all post-secondary schools attended, and send official transcripts from each.
I attended Unnamed Seminary after high school. My grades were poor (B/C/D), but I received transfer credit towards my degree. This did not affect my GPA, which is ~3.9. Unnamed Seminary is strongly anti-college, for example, one teacher announced on the first day that anyone who would go to college, wouldn't receive above a 70 in her class, and I received a 70.
How is this likely to affect my applications? How can I minimize any negative effects?

Edit: Several people have suggested that since the transfer credit appears on my college transcript as "TR", and they are for "religious studies" courses rather than secular knowledge, I don't really have to send the transcripts unless they request it. Then, if they do request it, a dean can write me a note explaining that the grades are more reflective of the views of this institution than my competence.

Would this be considered not handing in a "complete" application?

The reason they want all transcripts sent is that some/many grades don't transfer and may not appear on the other school's record. They are wanting your complete record. If you had not transferred some of the classes from Unnamed Seminary you might be able to skip sending the transcript. But since they appear on the other school's record you really have no choice. So I'd just send everything.

Agreed. I don't know whether it's actually required, and they may vary from program to program. But I know in my case, for example, I attended three undergraduate institutions and, since my final degree utilized credits from each, I sent in three different transcripts to each program to which I applied. Let it be known that the first of those transcripts definitely did not help my GPA numbers at all.

I am in agreement with the majority in this thread. You need to send everything. When I was applying to programs for one school I elected not to send one transcript from a community college for one 3 credit class I took over the summer --- lucky the admissions department was on it and emailed me and clarified when they say "transcripts from every institution attended" - they mean every institution.

Well that's not the information I have gotten. I have to send in three transcripts, (one of them is such a waste of time since it was just one class and it shows up on my B.A. transcript, but I'd rather just send it in just in case. I don't have the GPA issue to think about, I'm just thinking about the waste of money) and I have checked this out pretty thouroghly. If anything, I would email/call the specific schools and ask (not mentioning the GPA issue but just what their policy is overall).
You're saying, better safe than sorry :)
I definitely don't want to risk that, I am limited enough in programs as it is.
I also had 2 programs contact me for a transcript from a CC where I just took summer classes for transfer credit...I got interviews but it was a drag. On the other hand, they did ask me for them, and I didn't end up having to pay to send them to every single program.
What type of school was that? (top tier, research, etc) I have a feeling funded programs would be less likely to do that.
Got it. :)
Agreed. I don't know whether it's actually required, and they may vary from program to program. But I know in my case, for example, I attended three undergraduate institutions and, since my final degree utilized credits from each, I sent in three different transcripts to each program to which I applied. Let it be known that the first of those transcripts definitely did not help my GPA numbers at all.
It shall be known. Makes me feel a little better, thank you.
I am in agreement with the majority in this thread. You need to send everything. When I was applying to programs for one school I elected not to send one transcript from a community college for one 3 credit class I took over the summer --- lucky the admissions department was on it and emailed me and clarified when they say "transcripts from every institution attended" - they mean every institution.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by PsychPhDStudent

Originally Posted by Juniper Tree:
What type of school was that? (top tier, research, etc) I have a feeling funded programs would be less likely to do that.

Top-tier, research-heavy PhD programs. I only applied to places that were interested in producing academicians. I just got emails from the secretaries saying "Hey, you are getting an interview but we're missing a transcript from X. Could you please send it ASAP?" No biggie.

All programs I applied to required that I submit ALL of my transcripts. I attended three different institutions, and I received "transfer" credit from the first two that was reflected on the transcript of the third university. I was still required to submit all three transcripts. (I only applied to funded PhD programs.)

All programs I applied to required that I submit ALL of my transcripts. I attended three different institutions, and I received "transfer" credit from the first two that was reflected on the transcript of the third university. I was still required to submit all three transcripts. (I only applied to funded PhD programs.)
Thank you.
Top-tier, research-heavy PhD programs. I only applied to places that were interested in producing academicians. I just got emails from the secretaries saying "Hey, you are getting an interview but we're missing a transcript from X. Could you please send it ASAP?" No biggie.
I see. It's a risk though, if the institution doesn't find me compelling enough to go to the bother of asking for it.

From a slightly different perspective - I applied to 16 clinical phd programs. I had studied abroad fall of my junior year at college and called each program to see if they wanted the original transcript (with a certified translation) from the university in South America. I will say that about 3-4 of the programs said yes. A couple said that if it came up they'd simply ask for it, and the rest were unconcerned because they said the credit showed up in my undergraduate transcript for that fall semester (although the grades did not).

So if you want, just call each place and ask (granted, this may be different for situations like yours which are not study abroad).

Thank you.

I see. It's a risk though, if the institution doesn't find me compelling enough to go to the bother of asking for it.