Univ of Chicago vs Cinci

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMchica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble deciding between these two programs. I was hoping that anyone who interviewed may have some opinions about them. Please feel free to be brutally honost. Thanks everyone. These posts have helped in the past.

+pity+

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment too much on the differences between the programs because I didn't consider Cincy even though they are an excellent program -- I needed to be in Chicago. I can say that I am very happy with my training at Univ. of Chicago. Highlights:

3 year program
ultrasound
flight physician duties
3 different primary training sites with different patient mixes
in-house moonighting opportunities in the express care area
international transports
strong legacy -- many grads who are department chairs, program directors, etc
camraderie amongst residents
no medicine floor months
other residency programs at home institution strong
living in Chicago

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think ranking would be this difficult. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't interview at either, but I had one attending from Univ of Chicago (actually two) who is pretty young, probably graduated within the past 4-5 years, and he is one of our best attendings, I love the way he practices EM... don't know muhc about Cinci (got a wait list but never interviewed).

Also check out www.scutwork.com but take everything there with a grain of salt.

Congrats on being able to choose between two great programs!

Q, DO

Didn't interview in Chicago, but did at Cincinnati. Very strong program with many similarities to UChicago. It also offers these same things as Chicago:

ultrasound
flight physician duties
3 different primary training sites with different patient mixes
strong legacy -- many grads who are department chairs, program directors, etc
very first EM program in country
camraderie amongst residents
no medicine floor months
off-service attendings not prima donnas and actually allow residents to do many procedures
other residency programs at home institution strong

In addition, top notch Cincinnati Children's Hospital for peds/PICU; moonlighting available at Children's as well as other hospitals in and around Cincinnati, but not at home institution; residents run all traumas in the ED; separate trauma rotation; lots of elective time to pursue interests. Research project absolutely not required as is believed by some, but strong research/clinical trials program and a resident research fund to help fund projects. I spent time observing after my interview and frequently saw the third-year hand off procedures to second-year on traumas/very sick. 4 years may be issue to some, but with all the new work hour regulations these days, it wouldn't surprise me if 3 year programs increased to 4 years in the not too distant future.

Thanks guys. They are both similar and great so I will have to put lots of tought into this.

Also, congrats Quinn.

An ER attending through the University of Chicago has commented that Cincy is one of the best if not the best and most respected ER program in the Nation. I've never heard anything bad about Chicago, but I wouldn't say that its a standout program.

Originally posted by chillin
An ER attending through the University of Chicago has commented that Cincy is one of the best if not the best and most respected ER program in the Nation. I've never heard anything bad about Chicago, but I wouldn't say that its a standout program.

not a standout program, wow...that is a huge understatement. u of chicago was the second, if not third (debatable) er program in the nation. it is a great program and would easily be considered a top-tier program. the residents who finish there are extremely well trained, and have no problem finding jobs of their choice...i think Cincy gets the props for being the first program, and its associated with rosen, but chicago is right up there as well. if i were you, i would ask myself if you'd feel more comfortable doing 3 years or 4...either way, you'll be well trained...

and docjrm,
if anything changes in the future, i think it will be programs going from 4 years to 3 years. just my 2 cents

Peter Rosen started U of Chicago's program before he went to Denver and San Diego.

I think U of Chicago is a great program and I considered it a standout program when I was applying for many reasons -- reputation, history, helicopter program, strength and diversity of residents, ultrasound, etc. I'm obviously biased. In the end, however, it's a matter of personal preference. If you come to University of Chicago, you'll get great training with some unique experiences and you'll have Univ. of Chicago's legacy/network/reputation to back you up when it comes time to look for jobs.

Warning: I'm a newbie. Don't crucify me!

I'm a resident at Cincinnati who interviewed at U Chicago as well. Both programs are older, well established, well respected, and well rounded, with huge alumni networks (in both the academic and community realms) available to tap when the time comes to search for a faculty job. The obvious 3 vs 4-year difference was noted previously. Some say it matters not, but at U Chicago, EM is a division, while here in Cincinnati EM has been an independent department for 20 years and certainly we have no difficulty with intrainstitutional respect from other disciplines. Both programs offer outstanding air medical opportunities; a major plus, in my opinion. At U Chicago, my understanding is that they have more transfers and less scene flights, probably related to metropolitan Chicago having numerous level one trauma centers scattered about the city, often making ground transport a quicker option for trauma (here in Cincinnati we have a relatively high 30-35% scene flights). Chicago offers a very cool international flight opportunity not offered in Cincinnati (or, perhaps, anywhere else). As I recall, U Chicago's home institution is not itself a level one trauma center, so residents there rotate out to supplement their trauma experience. University Hospital in Cincinnati is the only adult level one trauma center in the tristate area, so we don't rotate out for trauma. In fact, trauma is the single aspect of EM in which I feel most confident in my training and abilities (both penetrating and blunt, pediatric and adult).

Both programs see high, relatively equivalent patient volumes, but Chicago sees this volume in a significantly smaller physical plant. Both programs are well known for academic productivity (43 publications last year for Cincinnati, 30 for U Chicago). The research infrastructure here is probably unparalleled, though research is not required of the residents at Cincinnati. Our academic foci are ACS, CHF, stroke, tox, HBO, and observation medicine, while Chicago's are resuscitation, informatics, and domestic violence. I cannot recall the details of the pediatric experience at U Chicago. Here, due to our close relationship with Cincinnati Children's Hospital, pediatrics is definitely one of our biggest strengths.

Am I biased? Probably. Am I happy at Cincinnati? Definitely. Certainly the similarities between these programs are there, but they're also very different. Ultimately, it's all about what feels like the best fit for you.

Thanks,

COS, MD

Wow...that was a very informative reply. Thanks for taking the time to write all that. Lots to think about.