univ of cincinnati curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gellybean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone give me more information about UC's curriculum? There's not too much information on their website. thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read and been told, its actually relatively traditional... that is lecture / discussion. However, there is a segment of the class that chooses the unofficial "independent study" route. That is, they just don't go to the lectures.

However, from what I've gathered, they have recently radically updated the curriculum to make it much more vertically integrated.

I know this is rather general, but its a start.

You're right, the website leaves much to be desired.

The curriculum at UC is lecture based. It's integrated, meaning that you cover the same systems at the same time in each class (i.e. you study the digestive system in physiology the same time you're studing it in micro anantomy, and doing the abdomen in gross). I like this system, because it makes everything easier to learn, and there's some overlap of information in the classes. Also, the curriculum is divided into blocks... we have an exam in every class the same week, with no classes that week.

In addition to the basic science classes, there's an Intro to Clincical Practice class, where we learn the "art" of medicine. This class is taken during the first two years, and it gives us a chance to interact with patients (interviewing, physical exams, etc).

I hope this answers some of your questions. If you want any more information, let me know and I'll post again here, or you can e-mail or PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't call our curriculum "traditional". I actually call it progressive. We are lecture/small group driven, yes. But we have a well integrated curriculum, as well as the test block format for years 1 and 2, as Amitha has told you. Having tests only once every 4-6 weeks is a huge help. I recently heard a professor say that when she was in med school, they had tests EVERY MONDAY! That would kill me. It made me realize how much I love test blocks!

Also, there are several courses (Brain and Behavior 1 and 2, Path, Pharm), that rely heavily on Problem-Based Learning through small group projects. This is a nice supplement to the lectures.

And as somebody else acurately pointed out, there are plenty of "Independent Study" students who never attend lectures. I'd say about 10-20% of my class never comes to lecture. That is a completely acceptable option for some people, since we are given all the notes for each block at the beginning of the block.

Hope this helps,
Mango MSII

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help. I've heard that the students at UC are friendly and now
I believe it! I'll be interviewing up there in a couple of weeks...maybe we'll meet. :p Thanks again!

gellybean--
i interviewed there yesterday. not only isn't their curriculum "traditional", they have some great facilities for med students. i've interviewed at 8 schools so far and UC is only rivaled by iowa. 16 mock exam rooms w/ 2 cameras each. (brand new) study rooms w/ great lighting,computers and overheads, exclusively for med students. a ton of creature comforts that make the day-to-day grind more tolerable. the med school has its own building and all your classes and labs are taken there, complete w/ a Starbucks on level 1. and none of the facilities are shared w/ other health schools. a student lunch room w/ 4 microwaves, frige....a break room w/ ping pong and foozball?. dozens of computers w/ high speed internet in the med student library (also in the same building). a lap top is provided to be shared between 2 students. a procedures room w/ a full time staff member who teaches you to start IVs, spinal taps, blood pressures, which is full of props. the list goes on. its just full of new student friendly equipment. i was impressed!