Univ of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trio20

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to hear from others who interviewed for EDP at Univ of Cincinnati. My understanding was that we would definitely hear between 10-1 and 10-8. I called today and they said it would now be several more weeks.
Anyone else hear anything same or different?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by trio20:
•Wanted to hear from others who interviewed for EDP at Univ of Cincinnati. My understanding was that we would definitely hear between 10-1 and 10-8. I called today and they said it would now be several more weeks.
Anyone else hear anything same or different?•

I wonder what this means for the regular applicants? I haven't heard from U.Cinn, or any other Ohio school for that matter save my returned MCO self-addressed envelope, and OSU's "update" some weeks back. Either something is wrong with my app, or they are just taking it slow.

Resident Alien-
I interviewed at OSU last week and I recieved an invite from Cinci today for 10/22.
OSU in particular is super on the ball this year. I was invited within a week of submitting the secondary. I hope you have good news soon. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has any questions about UC, I'd be happy to answer them (when I can take a study break). I'm a UCI (first year student). Good luck on your interviews!

Thanks for the offer - I'll definitely like to hear your insight after we hear our status.
How's your first year been? Are you able to have a life? I'll be married in the spring - are there many others who are?

Thanks Amitha-
Did you interview at OSU and if you did what comparisons would you make between OSU and Cincinnati?
I've only visited Cinci twice in my life-to go to the zoo and a museum. I haven't been able to find out a great deal of info about what makes Cincinnati Med special. I would love to hear your perspective.

First year has been not bad so far, although I'm in the mist of exam week right now, so the last few days have been rough. I do have time to go out on the weekends usually. As long as you keep up with the studying, the work isn't too overwhelming (that goes for med school in general). If you fall behind, it's almost impossible to catch up (especially during the second year). I like the integrated curriculum and the test block system, but the test block system is only used the first year, unfortunately. No, I didn't interview at OSU (those bastards ;) ), although I've heard interviewing is similar at both places. There's lots of info about the curriculum and other aspects of UCCOM on their website. For now I need to get back to biochem studying, but I'll try to add more another time. :) :) :)

Hey quaileggs, I think I can answer your question. I picked between UC and OSU (as well as a couple others), and I made the correct choice - UC. Correct for me, that is.

First off, I amazed everyone who knows me by choosing UC, since I have lived in Columbus my whole life, and am a huge Buckeye fan. Going into med school applications, OSU was by far my top choice. But in the end, it just didn't "do it" for me. So I packed my bags, and moved down to the Nati.

You need to interview at both schools, and try and get a sense of the environments there. Are the students competitive with each other? Does the class feel "united"? Or are they split into three waring tribes? Do they help each other, or criticize each other with every chance they get? When I asked myself these questions, I ended up here. You can extrapolate whatever you wish from that... :)

The next most important factor should be the curriculum. As Amy said, ours is unique, and exceptional. We are on test block format for years one, AND TWO. This means an integrated curriculum, with the courses working together, and testing during designated test weeks. It's a huge help. Also, our fourth year (as well as third), allow for a HUGE amount of choices of electives. I think at last count there were over a hundred options available, including many abroad. The program at OSU was extremely structured, and inflexible, in my opinion.

The last thing I considered was facilities. Both schools have top-notch teaching hospitals and clinics, as well as huge research facilities. And both have several other excellent hospitals they work with. We also have one of the top 3 Children's hospitals in the country, if you are interested in Peds. UC also has newly remodeled Gross and Micro/Path labs. We work FOUR to a cadaver, and each student has their own built-in laptop at their seat in Micro/Path lab. It's amazing.

So, I hope this helps you out. I can't emphasize enough the fact that you should go to the school that feels right to you. Good Luck!

Mango, MSII

Mango,
I really appreciate your help. Your perspective is particularly interesting considering you interviewed at OSU and Cinci and lived in Columbus. This is the same situation I am in. I interviewed at OSU last week and was in general very impressed. I have to chuckle about the "3 warring tribes" comment. I did pick up some of that vibe I must admit during my visit. It seems that the PBL people are the top dogs, the ISP people kind of go their own way and the Lecture people have some resentment. You have the feeling that nearly everyone wanted PBL..it is sold as very much the superior option but ...unfortunately only 35 people are chosen...You wonder why do they bother to offer PBL if they can't let anyone who wants to take advantage of it?
Also PBL and ISP have their own nice desks/quiet cubicles, their own library, etc.
Again in general I really liked OSU Med. They treated me very nicely, the students were nice. But yes it was my 1st interview so I don't have anything to compare it to yet. Plus I was so stunned by the contrast to the OSU undergrad experience (where you are treated like dogmeat unless you are an athlete or some other category of "special" student).
I will be interviewing at U Cinci on 10/15. I will keep my eyes and my mind open! Thanks!